Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Za Free Firewall 6.5.7

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:55 AM

Ok, ZA's new firewall is out so decided to tyr its free version... I'm liking it better than Sygate. I guess they tweaked it so that's it more secure and doesn't tamper with your Internet speed that much - 2.4 MBPS for me! :thumbsup: Anyways, just FYI the new ZA Free Firewall looks pretty tough and secure and has barricaded and relinquished 23 unwanted attempts into my computer.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:01 AM

Hrmm I'm using Version 6.1.744.001 so I guess I'll have to upgrade haha.
--
Harry83
Posted Image
Liberating America From Spyware - 1 Computer at a time...

#3 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:13 AM

I just realized that you must be talking about the 15 day trial?? The totally free version still seems to be version 6.1.744...
--
Harry83
Posted Image

#4 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:48 AM

Nope... it seems as if this one is the new free version product info doesn't seem to mandate a payment or license.
Stanford '14

#5 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:01 PM

where did you get it? I went to ZA's website and tried to download the free version but the download file was the same version as the one I've already got...
--
Harry83
Posted Image

#6 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:07 PM

.... that's odd. Apparently, I got mine from FileHippo now that I recall.
Stanford '14

#7 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:10 PM

Ok, just checked it appears that my version is valid and it is non-commercial free. Are you sure it's not at ZA?

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/comp...ctry=US&lang=en

is the download link for the newest version if I'm not mistaken.
Stanford '14

#8 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:27 PM

I downloaded from there...the file name is zlsSetup_61_744_001_en when you download it... Appears to be the same as the one I've had for the last couple of months.

Are you sure yours isn't the 15 day trial version? :thumbsup:
--
Harry83
Posted Image

#9 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:57 PM

Free, not trial 6.5.700.000
http: //www.zonelabs.com/store/content/ company/products/znalm/ freeDownload.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en
I put 3 spaces in the link on purpose so you can check you're in the right place.
6.1.744 is history.

#10 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:01 PM

Just downloaded it again...I'm absolutely positive I'm downloading it from the right place ...I've gone to both your links and it's all the same result... Does the file name just happen to be zlsSetup_61_744_001_en for the new version? I mean that doesn't make sense but I don't know why you guys are getting a new version and I am not...this is sort of frustrating me really bad so I guess I'll just find another place to download it from. Does it have anything to do with the fact that I've downloaded and installed ZA before? Do I have to uninstall my current version first, to be able to download the new one since it's registered?
--
Harry83
Posted Image

#11 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:10 AM

I mean that doesn't make sense but I don't know why you guys are getting a new version and I am not...

Does it have anything to do with the fact that I've downloaded and installed ZA before? Do I have to uninstall my current version first, to be able to download the new one since it's registered?

Sure doesn't make sense :thumbsup:
You might be downloading correctly. But when you look at where you saved the file, you might be looking at the OLD place and actually saving the NEW file in a different place. That's the only thing I can think of.

No. Previous installation has no bearing on it.
Do you have to uninstall previous? Yes and no, but it's not relevant to what you're seeing.

Clean installs are always the best, especially from v5 to v6 where the database structure changed.
If you want to be quite clean, just add the /clean switch to the properties of the Uninstall menu item. They do a pretty good job of cleaning up now.

Edited by tos226, 09 June 2006 - 09:10 AM.

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:49 AM

At first, I thought there was no new release, but I found this page with the release history and free download button. Copy and paste this address: download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory.html

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#13 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:52 AM

Ok, if ZA's site isn't working (odd... I'm getting the 6.5.7 setup when I download the latest version), try:
ZA's Download Mirror at FileHippo:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/
Stanford '14

#14 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:11 AM

You might be downloading correctly. But when you look at where you saved the file, you might be looking at the OLD place and actually saving the NEW file in a different place.

Not the case...I download to my desktop and I checked the file name for the download before and after I downloaded. I don't keep installation files on my computer, unless it's for a program I bought and downloaded off the internet.

I'm at work right now but when I get home I'll just try a mirrored site...if that doesn't work for some crazy reason then I'll just uninstall ZA first... The only reason I think the installation might have something to do with it is the fact that I registered my free version of ZA...
--
Harry83
Posted Image

#15 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:13 AM

At first, I thought there was no new release, but I found this page with the release history and free download button. Copy and paste this address: download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory.html

Actually it looks like that might do it...this is so odd. I'll try it when I get home. If my email link sends me back to the old version like it has been then I will be quite frustrated haha.
--
Harry83
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users