Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lexar USB 16 G stick will not reformat

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smartjock99

smartjock99

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:31 PM

I have a Lexar 16gigabytes USB stick (for USB 2.0) that got corrupted somehow with a Write-Protected message. I have backed up all the data that was on the stick (nothing original was ever on it) and managed to delete the files on the stick.  However, it will not reformat, and it still gives me the write-protected message.  I've tried using the Lexar USB tool to reformat it, but it does not work.  Looking for options to repair this stick.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:19 PM

Whenever I have issues like these with USB drives, I try this out first, maybe it will help;

*This process will wipe anything on the drive*

Open an elevated command prompt (right click cmd.exe and run as administrator)

Type these commands

"diskpart"

"list disk"

"select disk #" The # refers to the USB drive, you should be able to see which is which based on the size listed

"clean"

"create partition primary"

"exit"

Can you try that and then format it and see if you get the same results?

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#3 smartjock99

smartjock99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:42 PM

I tried that.  I get this message "DiskPart has encountered an error: The Media is write protected.  See the system event log for more information.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,929 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:57 PM

If you do not have the same problem with another flash drive attached to the same computer, then this usually indicates a failed flash drive. Sandisk will set write protect in firmware if it detects enough read/write errors. Some flash drives will let you flash new firmware but I don't think this is the case with Lexar. If it is in the warranty period I would return it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users