Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq XP Laptop Won't Power Up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:19 AM

To the Moderator:

If this topic would fit better somewhere else, please move it for me.  This seemed like the best place.

I have an older Compap Presario laptop, Model # C301NR.  It will not boot up.

Every time I push the power button a little orange light on the front panel lights up.  It is in the shape of a thunderbolt, so it looks like a small orange lightning strike.

Is this just telling me my battery is dead and I need a new A/C power adapter?

This happens when the unit is plugged into the wall, and also when it is not.

I love this forum.  Thanks so much.

Edited by hamluis, 17 September 2014 - 01:32 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

The bolt shaped LED, when blinking orange, means that the battery is dead/there is no power going to the computer. It sounds like your AC adapter is broken, does it have any exposed wires or kinks in the cord? It could also be the wall outlet, try a different outlet and see if it powers up/charges.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#3 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:29 PM

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!  This confirms what I thought it meant.

#4 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:27 PM

Today I received in the mail a replacement power supply for the Compaq laptop listed above.  I thought this would fix the problem.  It did not.

The unit continues the same problem: When I hit the power on button, a little orange lightning bolt blinks for about five units then goes off, but the laptop will not power up.  

Is it possible the hard drive is dead?  If not, is there a work-around to this power issue?

Thank You!

#5 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:02 PM

Oops, never mind.  It just powered up and is working fine now.  I think it just had to restore the internal battery or something.  

Thanks Anyway.

EG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users