Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clicking Links And Firefox's Reaction To Them

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nooodle

Nooodle

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:58 AM

Not sure where to post this but I think I got the right spot, Anyway whenever I click a link on something, lets say perhaps a game I play regularly firefox will detect that I clicked the link and pop up but when it tries to connect to that server it almost never does, like once in 300 times also Ive noticed that it will say in the address bar something like this when bringing up the error page http://\\bleepingcomputer.com\wantstokickfirefox\pleasehelp\. it cant seem to convert it to the way its supposed to be and always brings up an error page and I can find nothing to possably change it.

(Moderator edit: moved thread to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 10 June 2006 - 10:09 AM.

Posted Image

My name is Nooodle and I approve this message.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:24 AM

Have you scanned for virus and other goodies?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:57 AM

yes usually once a week I scan with multiple programs
Posted Image

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:14 AM

What are you clicking ON, i.e., where is that link?
Can you provide the EXACT copy of the link that comes up as shown in the address bar, and then paste the real URL into your reply? " http://\\bleepingcomputer.com" seems to have extra characters.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:22 PM

yes it does have extra characters and that is how it looks when it loads into the address bar of fire fox. And to answer the second question it does it with all links not just one or two in particular, even if it is on fire fox itself.
Posted Image

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:51 PM

Has this problem just recently cropped up? Has Firefox ever worked correctly for you? Where are these links to start with? In Bookmarks, on your desktop, web page? One of the nice things about Firefox is it is easy to reinstall.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:50 PM

Well Buddy as I said before just about any link I try to click it cannot find the server and I guess the problem has been there all along just happen to figure out what exactly was going wrong recently.
Posted Image

#8 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:56 PM

also another quick question: How do I make Opera my defaly browser and take it off of firefox? It seems links do work in it and opera is the main browser I use anyway, the bad part is if Im in Opera and click a link then fire fox opens up and tells me it cant find the server so I have to copy the link and paste it back into opera just to view the page then close out fire fox, its pretty annoying to say the least.
Posted Image

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 07:56 AM

In Firefox:
Tools / Options / General /
Uncheck Firefox should check to see if it is the default browser when starting.

In Opera:
Tools / Preferences... / Advanced tab / Programs /
Put a check next to Check if Opera is default browser on startup

Edited by tg1911, 08 July 2006 - 08:00 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 12:28 PM

Thank you SO much, I could hug you, **does little happy dance**
Posted Image

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:50 PM

You're quite welcome, Nooodle.
Glad to be of help.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users