Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Portable & free WLAN / Wifi coverage mapper? Needful WLAN / network tools?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Dirkk

Dirkk

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:10 AM

Is there a free and portable tool / programm which can be recommended to discover the best place for the router / Notebook / the best signal?

And which free and portable tools / programs to set up a WLAN could be recommended?

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:11 PM

No "discovery" apps that I am aware of.  Usually the bars on your wifi adapter tell you how strong the receiving signal is.  Same is true with Wlan equipment.  They have their own setup routine.

What is it you are trying to address?

#3 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:11 PM

Thank you, Wand3r3r.

Well, I have 2 Notebooks connected to the same router, the Notebook in the same room as the router has a "very good" download speed, about 10 MB / s and the other Notebook in another room does not have, about 2 to 3 MB / s, although the signal (quality) is show to be good as of the Notebook (NB 1) in the same room as the router. So, I want to get the same download speed as NB 1 has with NB 2. And actually I am wondering if displaying all of those bars mean that the download speed is always the best then. Or might all of the bars appear and that could mean to have a worse speed? A good Internetspeed / broadband provided.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:26 PM

Please do two things;

run a speedtest.net broadband test from both and post the results

download and run xirrus wifi inspector and run it on both and post the results

#5 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:36 PM

OK, a part of that is done: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/548515/2-notebooks-with-same-router-but-very-different-boadbrand-how-to-adapt/

Xirrus does not appear to be available as a portable version.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:24 AM

Have you tried updating the drivers for the wifi card on the one with the 28k connection?

If you have the two laptops in the same room at the same distance from the router do you still have this 54/28 connection difference?

Why did you start a new thread on the same topic when you were already being helped?

Edited by Wand3r3r, 19 September 2014 - 10:25 AM.

#7 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:17 AM

Have you tried updating the drivers for the wifi card on the one with the 28k connection?

It says the best drive already is installed.

If you have the two laptops in the same room at the same distance from the router do you still have this 54/28 connection difference?

I haven't tried yet, because the signal quality in both rooms is show as the best one. Actually I am not considering about the Mbit/s for the WLAN but for the download speed, I assume even 11 Mbit/s would be enough to get disired speed, if I am not wrong.

Why did you start a new thread on the same topic when you were already being helped?

Sorry, I cannot say without context, which thread do you mean?

Many thanks.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:03 PM

InSSIDer might do a good bit of what you want. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#9 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:38 PM

This thread here which you referenced

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/548515/2-notebooks-with-same-router-but-very-different-boadbrand-how-to-adapt/

"Actually I am not considering about the Mbit/s for the WLAN but for the download speed"

They are one and the same.  With a 5/1 mbps connection you want the strongest wifi connection you can get to the wifi router.

Reason I asked you to put both laptops in the same room is to determine if distance/building materials are what are affecting the slower laptops connection.

#10 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:36 PM

Many thanks, CaveDweller2,

Yes, appears to be very nice,, but I cannot find a portable version of it.

Thanks again.

This thread here which you referenced

Hmmm, same topic? Sorry again, I do not understand at all.

They are one and the same.  With a 5/1 mbps connection you want the strongest wifi connection you can get to the wifi router.

I do not have any idea of all of that, What is a 5/1 mbps connection? I would have thought, when the max. download speed is about 10.000 Mbit/s a transfer rate of 24 Mbit/s or 11 Mbit/s from Notebook to router, respectively vice versa would be enough. But that's not right?

Reason I asked you to put both laptops in the same room is to determine if distance/building materials are what are affecting the slower laptops connection.

Yes, that's the reason, the point, I now know since Chris told me. But I haven't tried yet, I have to move some heavy furniture (or to get to the plugs behind it) to get a new position for the router.

Many thanks.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#11 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:30 PM

Since the question in this thread has been answered I will help you on the other one you started concerning the two laptops.

Have a nice day.

#12 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

That's great, Wand3r3r,

Many thanks for that.

Yes, thank you, have a very nice day, too.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#13 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:54 AM

Portable? got a smartphone?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#14 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:44 AM

Yes, portable. And yes, I have a smartphone.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#15 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

it's free for Android and windows but $5 for Apple

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users