Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help choosing a GPU for new computer and any other hardware.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 0atmeal

0atmeal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:17 AM

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Processor 
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA1150/ Intel Z97/ DDR3/Quad CrossFireX ATX Motherboard 7 
PSU: XFX PRO 850W Black Edition
Solid State Hard Drive: Crucial M500 240GB 
Cooler Master HAF X - Full Tower Computer 
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

My current graphics card is a ASUS GTX 660 and I am wanting to upgrade it to match the rest of my new hardware. Also, would you recommend me adding / replacing 16gb of different ram than I currently have? Should I invest in a good sound card and if so could you recommend some please.This is my first desktop I have put together myself so I have been doing research on all of the items but still unsure on some. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:48 AM

Do you have a specific budget for the GPU? That looks like a pretty powerful build and you will want a powerful GPU. I recommend the Radeon R9 290($400) as the minimum, if you can go higher there is the R9 290X($550-$600). If that RAM costs more than $143 then I would switch to http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148545

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#3 0atmeal

0atmeal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:22 PM

The ram I listed was more than $143 but I bought that a year ago, I was just wondering if it was worth adding more than 16gb or if It would be unnecessary. I read the new Nvidia gtx 880 comes out soon, would it be worth waiting on that? I wanna spend as much as I need to on a good card since I plan on gaming a lot, so price isn't a factor there.

#4 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:57 AM

Well then I'd say go for it, wait on the 880 and go ahead and move to 16GB, I've seen my processes come close to using all 8GB of RAM when gaming, and having 16GB will keep it up to par with newer ones longer.

Edit: If you want to get the best of the best GPU-wise, go for the 780Ti. tested better than the Titan.

Edited by Aerys, 18 September 2014 - 08:58 AM.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users