Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What could be done if the internal hard drive has stopped

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 harupopo

harupopo

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:50 AM

If I had a internal hard drive that stopped working and gave the black screen with movable cursor, but then I reset all the data and it works perfectly fine again, what would this mean? What was the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:40 AM

Could be anything. Some app hanging, who knows.

#3 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:33 AM

What do you mean when you say you reset all the data? As in reinstall the OS? It could be that your drive is nearing the end of its life, or the power connector/PSU could be the issue. Can you test if the problem continues when you use a different hard drive?

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#4 harupopo

harupopo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:52 PM

Aerys, on 17 Sept 2014 - 10:33 AM, said:

What do you mean when you say you reset all the data? As in reinstall the OS? It could be that your drive is nearing the end of its life, or the power connector/PSU could be the issue. Can you test if the problem continues when you use a different hard drive?

Yes, I mean reinstalling an OS on it. So that there would be nothing on the hard drive. If the drive was nearing the end of its life, I don't understand why getting rid of its data lets it live again.

#5 Aberrant

Aberrant

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:20 PM

Have you tried running a HDD diagnostic program to check your HDD status? I suggest CrystalDiskInfo(http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html) to see your HDD's current condition. But if this problem happens a lot, then I highly recommend an immediate backup on your important data.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:10 PM

Be aware that...you may be too late to try to backup, that's supposed to occur before problems begin...and you have a misconception about reinstalling Windows.

Reinstalling Windows is an effective "solution" only when Windows or a program installed on it...is the problem.  You have a seeming hardware problem and the suggested diagnostic should be run, after trying to move valued files to some other media.

Louis

#7 Aberrant

Aberrant

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:54 AM

That's true. Try to swap a working HDD and see if that could solve the problem. I also have had a client who encounter as the same problem as yours. The HDD was having a read error and warns an imminent failure on the disk, good thing I manage to backup most of the files, though couple of it were corrupted. Copying large files at once fails, even with TeraCopy, so I ended up replacing a brand new HDD and everything works good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users