Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DOS 6.22 command to recognise Harddisk of higher capacity

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MSHANKAR

MSHANKAR

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:19 AM

Hello Everybody

My First Post

We got a machine with MSDOS6.22 . Originally running with  IDE  harddisk of 1.2GB, which  CONKED OFF, we have got new similar Harddisk but of 40GB

We are able to recognise this in a desktop PC but when we connect to the  machine, it is not getting recongised and says "No fixdisk present" when we try to run FDISK

We tried A:\>SYSPATH=C:\ and also A:\>FIXMBR  but to no avail as it jumps back to A prompt as it is unable to recognise connected Harddisk

Would be of immense help If I can know the command in DOS to recongise connected IDE Harddisk of 40GB

Warm Regards,

Shankar

Mod Edit: moved to DOS/PDA/Other ~~ boopme

Edited by boopme, 17 September 2014 - 03:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 451 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:57 AM

Worth a read here...

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000273.htm

#3 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:18 AM

Hello Everybody

My First Post

We got a machine with MSDOS6.22 . Originally running with  IDE  harddisk of 1.2GB, which  CONKED OFF, we have got new similar Harddisk but of 40GB

We are able to recognise this in a desktop PC but when we connect to the  machine, it is not getting recongised and says "No fixdisk present" when we try to run FDISK

We tried A:\>SYSPATH=C:\ and also A:\>FIXMBR  but to no avail as it jumps back to A prompt as it is unable to recognise connected Harddisk

Would be of immense help If I can know the command in DOS to recongise connected IDE Harddisk of 40GB

Warm Regards,

Shankar

Mod Edit: moved to DOS/PDA/Other ~~ boopme

Check the jumpers on the HDD. Make sure it's seen in POST. This is old school stuff but if my memory serves me right the jumpers is usually the reason I couldn't see a HDD. 

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:28 PM

I hate to say it; but, I think your up against an Int13 BIOS limit which boils down to the PC not recognizing a drive larger than 8.4GB (1024*256*63*512) and you'll need to buy another drive in order to get it working (period).

Sorry.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users