Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frame rate drop and CPU overheat

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 EJJR

EJJR

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:48 AM

Hi Guys:
I recently moved into my new apartment and have had problems with low frame rate while watching netflix and playing games. Never used to have this problem before. The CPU is frequently overheating and the computer is shutting down which has happened before but not so frequently.
With the frame rate drops, which I've never had until now, I'll be watching or gaming and the frame rate suddenly drops sometimes to below single digits. It'll play fine for a few moments then drop again. It increases to the point that the good frame rate lasts less and the bad frame rate lasts longer. It also leads to:
CPU overheat crash. The computer crashes to protect memory and saying the CPU has overheated.
The only thing I can think that would be causing both of these issues is my new apartment doesn't have AC yet and so it's considerably hotter than at my old place. I bought a new 750 w power supply with a stronger fan and it has reduced some of the issues but they're still there.
Specs:
Windows 8 x64
6 Core Intel Pentium ~ 1.5 ghz per core
4 GB Ram
9800 GTX+ OC

If there's any other stats you need let me know and can you tell me how to find them? Used to just use dxdiag but dunno how to find it on Windows 8.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:27 AM

The move alone can have caused the problem.

It can be a fan's connector that has come loose or a fan got damaged or the heatsink has come loose from the CPU.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:41 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 EJJR

EJJR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:04 PM

It can be a fan's connector that has come loose or a fan got damaged or the heatsink has come loose from the CPU.

How could I check? Could the apartment being much warmer than my old place have an effect?

#5 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:12 PM

How could I check? Could the apartment being much warmer than my old place have an effect?

You have to take a look inside.

As for the ambient temps making that much of a difference, I would call that HIGHLY unlikely, although not impossible.

If you went from a 68 degree AC'ed home to your terrace in the Caribbean, it would make a small difference to the inner temps of your machine.

All is well in Paradise.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:16 PM

Please post the requested information in my last post.  Without this information and making a physical inspection of all the connections of the installed component we will only be guessing as to what is actually going on.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 EJJR

EJJR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:30 PM

Please post the requested information in my last post.  Without this information and making a physical inspection of all the connections of the installed component we will only be guessing as to what is actually going on.

Sorry about that. Here's the link.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/LIT3o6U8MgfWmRPFcxIS0Wl

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:05 PM

Your CPU is overheating.  The maximum temperature for that processor is 62 C, your CPU was running at 73C when the Speccy was run.

Have you ever removed the heat sink and fan from the CPU?

You should physically inspect the heat sink and fan assembly to make sure it is fastened securely, if it is lose it can cause the CPU to overheat.  If you are going to do this touch the metal of the case before you touch anything is side to reduce the risk of electrostatic discharges.

I would check to see if the heat sink and fan assembly on the CPU is free of dust.  If it isn't purchase a can of a duster, it is incorrectly referred to as "can air".  Use this to blow out the heat sink and fan and any other dust inside the case.   There usually is a front vent on a desktop which is mounted against a metal grid.  This can become clogged with dust if there is enough dust in the area the computer is running in.  You would need to to Google the instructions for removing the front panel to clean this.

You should also check your graphics card for dust as well.

If cleaning the heatsink does not resolve the problem you may need to remove the heat sink and fan and clean the surface of the CPU and heat sink where they mate and reapply fresh thermal compound.

#9 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:55 PM

As mentioned above, there's a darn good chance that the problem is between your heatsink and your processor.

Perhaps a clip has let go?

I can tell you that  i have fixed many a PC that didn't work by the time the client got home.

PC's do NOT like to be transported and what you are experiencing is not all that rare an occurrence.

Are you a bit tech savvy?

Did you build this machine yourself?

All is well in Paradise.

#10 EJJR

EJJR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:02 PM

Cleaned out a LOT of dust from the case, motherboard, cpu, cpu fan, graphics card, graphics card fan and the case fan. Didn't realize how bad it was. Took the CPU off and re fastened it.
I think all I did was make it worse. Turned it on and not 5 minutes later it crashed saying overheat...
New thermal paste needed?

#11 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:10 PM

It's either that or one of the fans isn't working properly, ie: the CPU fan.

If the CPU fan seems to spin as fast as can be, then you can be fairly certain that you have bad contact between the heatsink and the CPU, in which case you'd have to clean off the thermal paste and reapply the correct amount.

There are tons of youtube video clips showing you how to apply thermal paste.

Here's a decent thermal paste at a decent price.

Edited by rockysosua, 17 September 2014 - 04:12 PM.

All is well in Paradise.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:00 PM

If you didn't clean off the old thermal compound and apply new thermal compound that's what will happen in almost all cases.

#13 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:13 PM

Just like the OP said, it made it worse.

All is well in Paradise.

#14 EJJR

EJJR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:18 PM

I didn't use new thermal compound. I'll try that.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:35 AM

Just like the OP said, it made it worse.

EJJR posted the following in post #10.

Took the CPU off and re fastened it.

In that post they made no indication that they had cleaned the surfaces of the CPU and heat sink and reapplied thermal compound.

They posted the following in their last post.

I didn't use new thermal compound. I'll try that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users