Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic / Default Registry Backup?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Pinto Khan

Pinto Khan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:54 AM

Hello all,

I need some advice about a particular problem I'm facing. First off, the background:

I got stuck with the spyware.quake malware today. Followed the steps for its removal posted in these forums and removed it succesfully. However, in the course of that removal, I deleted some entries from the registry, namely : spywarequake, regperf, dcomcfg, and msmsgs.exe

Now the problem is, I can't seem to run MSN messenger. I've done everything I can think of, uninstalling MSN, rebooting the PC, installing MSN again, rebooting again, but nothing works. When I click on the msn messenger .exe file, the process starts, I mean, I see it in the taskmanager, but the MSN messenger window doesn't open and I can see the little MSN icon in the bottom-right corner of the taskbar.

Methinks the problem is with some entry I removed from the registry and I was wondering if there is anyway to restore an older version of the registry. I have NOT taken a backup of the registry. I turned off the system restore to fix that malware issue, so I don't have any restore points either. Does windows create an automatic backup of the registry by itself? If so, does anyone know the name and/or extension of this file?

Any help will be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:13 AM

Hi Pinto Khan.
Sorry I can't help you with your current problem, but ERUNT is a very good utility which automatically saves a copy of your registry each time you reboot.
It is a freebie and is available here: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:09 AM

If you went backwards witht ehregistry you could do this but would put back everything that you cleaned out including the virus.

Try this site and see if anything helps

http://messenger.msn.com/Help/

#4 fireboy

fireboy

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:41 PM

You could run a system restore to restore your computer to an earlier point. I know that would probably reintroduct the spywarequake entires as well, but now that the files are gone they shouldn't be much of a threat and you could remove them as needed.

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:05 PM

To get MSN Messenger to run, download it and reinstall it. MSN Messenger.

#6 Pinto Khan

Pinto Khan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:48 AM

Thank you all for the answers. Like I said in my first post, I've already tried re-installation in all possible combinations, with reboots and without reboots. I also did not have system restore active so that's not an option either. The FAQs from the MSN site were useless as well, since they require the messenger to actually run. Anyway, the solution that worked for me was a plain and simple Windows Repair :thumbsup:

Appreciate the replies

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:16 PM

Glad you got the issue taken care of, and I appreciate you posting back your solution for others to read and learn from.

I highly recommend you turn on System Restore.

Turn on System Restore by going to Start > right click on My Computer > Propeties > System Restore tab
  • UNcheck Turn off System Restore
  • Click Apply
  • Click OK

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:52 AM

An alternate solution might be to install another IM client (some good freeware one's are GAIM, Miranda, and Trillian Free).

Then use them to connect to MSN
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:09 AM

You may also have registry backups created if you have used Spybot or several other aps that make registry changes that could have been used to restore the registry entry.

The previous suggestion that you download and install Erunt is a way to make sure you have registry bckups for the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users