Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games Freezing Please Help

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Volnerman

Volnerman

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:29 PM

Hey everyone I appreciate the help. I'm having problems playing games lately. After a couple of minutes whatever game I'm playing freezes. I can still hear the audio continue to play, but can't move or anything. The weird thing is though that if I alt+tab or ctrl+alt+delete out of the game then go back in it fixes the freezing until the next time it occurs. I have checked cpu and gpu temps and both are very good so it's not overheating. I've also reinstalled graphic drivers twice now. I'd also like to mention I'm able to play all these games on ultra high graphics settings with no lag and good fps until the freeze occurs. This is occurring on games such as Skyrim, Arma 3, and Borderlands 2. I'm using a Nvidia GTX 650 Ti Video Card and running Windows 8.1 64 bit. Any help would be appreciated :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Volnerman

Volnerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:43 PM

Also I apologize if this was posted in the wrong section. I assumed it was a video card problem so I posted in internal hardware.

#3 Volnerman

Volnerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:32 AM

Bump

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:47 AM

Is the video freezing, or are you just unable to move? (Can you see trucks driving by etc)

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:55 AM

Please can you download and publish a snapshot using Speccy, which gives more information about your hardware (remembering to include the link to the snapshot in your reply).

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

Note: The published profile will use the same language and temperature settings (Imperial or Metric) as your Speccy installation.

PS if you know it can you let us know the make and model of your power supply, as this information is not included in Speccy reports, and it may be relevant to this particular topic.

Edited by jonuk76, 17 September 2014 - 07:56 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 Volnerman

Volnerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:06 AM

In response to bludshot the game screen is complete frozen and nothing is moving but I can still hear the audio continue to play. Alt - tabbing out of the game and going back in seems to fix it until the next time it occurs. In response to jonuk76 I'll be home in 20 min and will do the snapshot then.

#7 Volnerman

Volnerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:15 AM

I had my brother do the speccy report for me.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/o8Ly1xxSlZLKANLkf5woiJI

My power supply is a Solid Gear Neutron 750 watt.  All of my parts are around 3 months old.

#8 Volnerman

Volnerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:25 AM

Please can you download and publish a snapshot using Speccy, which gives more information about your hardware (remembering to include the link to the snapshot in your reply).

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

Note: The published profile will use the same language and temperature settings (Imperial or Metric) as your Speccy installation.

PS if you know it can you let us know the make and model of your power supply, as this information is not included in Speccy reports, and it may be relevant to this particular topic.

By the way let me know if you need any other info. I'm at home in front of the computer now.

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:35 AM

I'm assuming from the original post it wasn't like it when first built.  Is it a problem that has developed out of nowhere or was it following any hardware or software changes?

I haven't heard of Solid Gear PSU's or seen them reviewed (other than a few consumer reviews on Amazon etc.) so I'm not sure how good they are.  In terms of wattage rating, it is certainly more than enough for your system though.

The Speccy report looks pretty normal really.  Temperatures etc. are good as you said.

What I think might be interesting to do is to load up the GPU and see what temperatures are reached, and also to see whether it causes the freeze up problems seen in games to occur.  To load up the GPU you can use Furmark Burn In Test.  Warning - this program can put extreme loads on the GPU (far more than a normal game) and if it has insufficient cooling may cause it to overheat (105c is the absolute max temperature of the GTX 650 Ti). Be sure to keep an eye on it!  The escape key will abort the Burn In Test. BTW Corruption of the image appearing in Furmark tends to indicate a GPU problem.

Download Furmark and install it and the one you want is "Burn In Test".

SBcbhSU.png

BTW I have the same motherboard as you, so I know programs like HWmonitor don't report voltages correctly on it so I would suggest opening up Gigabyte System Information Viewer (available if you installed the programs from the motherboard CD).  It's started from the Gigabyte App Center in the system tray.  It has several modes but one that looks useful is the "Record" function.

This allows you to record voltages, temperatures etc. over a period of time and graphs them, so any dips become obvious.  On my system, I see the 12v rail dipping slightly when I go from desktop to 3D (see the yellow line dipping a bit, I loaded a game to test it).  Furmark causes it to dip a little more again.  But I'm not having instability problems so I think it's OK.  I think it would be useful to have this recording at the same time as running Furmark so you can see what the voltages (particularly the 12v voltage) is doing.  If it drops down to like 10v or something it would point suspicion in the direction of the PSU..

BZ9zxov.png

dHg45Q9.jpg

Edited by jonuk76, 17 September 2014 - 10:13 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 Volnerman

Volnerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

Ok going to run the test now, I'll post results in a minute.

#11 Volnerman

Volnerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:38 AM

Ok so I just ran the Furmark test while recording the voltage with system info viewer. The 12V held at the exact same with no dip the entire time I was running Furmark. I ran Furmark for 4 minutes straight on 1920x1200 started at 31 Celsius and ended up at 67-68 Celsius at the 4 minute mark. The image in looked correct and there was no lag then. 

#12 Volnerman

Volnerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:42 AM

I'm assuming from the original post it wasn't like it when first built.  Is it a problem that has developed out of nowhere or was it following any hardware or software changes?

I haven't heard of Solid Gear PSU's or seen them reviewed (other than a few consumer reviews on Amazon etc.) so I'm not sure how good they are.  In terms of wattage rating, it is certainly more than enough for your system though.

The Speccy report looks pretty normal really.  Temperatures etc. are good as you said.

What I think might be interesting to do is to load up the GPU and see what temperatures are reached, and also to see whether it causes the freeze up problems seen in games to occur.  To load up the GPU you can use Furmark Burn In Test.  Warning - this program can put extreme loads on the GPU (far more than a normal game) and if it has insufficient cooling may cause it to overheat (105c is the absolute max temperature of the GTX 650 Ti). Be sure to keep an eye on it!  The escape key will abort the Burn In Test. BTW Corruption of the image appearing in Furmark tends to indicate a GPU problem.

Download Furmark and install it and the one you want is "Burn In Test".

SBcbhSU.png

BTW I have the same motherboard as you, so I know programs like HWmonitor don't report voltages correctly on it so I would suggest opening up Gigabyte System Information Viewer (available if you installed the programs from the motherboard CD).  It's started from the Gigabyte App Center in the system tray.  It has several modes but one that looks useful is the "Record" function.

This allows you to record voltages, temperatures etc. over a period of time and graphs them, so any dips become obvious.  On my system, I see the 12v rail dipping slightly when I go from desktop to 3D (see the yellow line dipping a bit, I loaded a game to test it).  Furmark causes it to dip a little more again.  But I'm not having instability problems so I think it's OK.  I think it would be useful to have this recording at the same time as running Furmark so you can see what the voltages (particularly the 12v voltage) is doing.  If it drops down to like 10v or something it would point suspicion in the direction of the PSU..

BZ9zxov.pngBy the way

By the way thanks for the heads up on the system info viewer. I didn't have that installed and it could come in very handy in the future.

#13 Volnerman

Volnerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:03 AM

Also just got a new error message that I've never had before while watching a video. Nvidia kernel mode driver 340.52 has stopped working. Popped up in the bottom right

#14 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:10 PM

It's a good sign that Furmark was able to run without any problems, without getting close to overheating, and the PSU voltage appears to be holding up.  But it still leaves the question of what the problem is, and why has it started occurring?

The message you saw is the Nvidia driver crashing and being re-loaded by Windows.  It might be just a one off, but if they are appearing frequently then it could be a driver that is unstable.

7sbvuf-6.png

#15 Volnerman

Volnerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

It's a good sign that Furmark was able to run without any problems, without getting close to overheating, and the PSU voltage appears to be holding up.  But it still leaves the question of what the problem is, and why has it started occurring?

The message you saw is the Nvidia driver crashing and being re-loaded by Windows.  It might be just a one off, but if they are appearing frequently then it could be a driver that is unstable.

I just got that Nvidia kernel mode driver 340.52 crash again while playing Borderlands. The game freezes, the screen turned black, and then when I alt+tabbed I could see that error message again. I can try and uninstall the driver again. Maybe I didn't correctly remove it last time. Any tips for completely uninstalling a graphics driver?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users