Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it time for a new laptop?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 flute4me

flute4me

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:46 PM

Hi guys,

I'm posting here because I think I've run out of luck in the virus forum. I currently have a Samsung RV510 that's served me well the last five or so years but recently it's just been becoming a pain. My messaging apps have all stopped working, it randomly types letters (for example aaaa repeats sometimes), the browsers freeze up, and it's just been unreliable. I went through all the steps of cleaning it out and fixing it over in the virus forum, but despite removing some trojans, tons of adware (mostly tracking cookies) and cleaning up the registry, nothing has really changed. I'm a college student, so being without my laptop affects me both at home and in the classroom, so I was wondering should I invest in a new machine or continue trying to fix this one? If you think I should move on, what would be some good, decently priced laptops? I'm posting in the Windows 7 forum because it's the operating system I know best, but right now I'm really not picky.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:40 PM

I sell laptops so my list of long of superb machines, but no matter what, the old machine has to be fixed as it has intrinsic value and it serves to help defray the cost of a new one.

So, let's put the cards on the table.

Your laptop, short of it being drastically defective in several areas or if it has a blown motherboard, can be made to run, virtually like the day you bought it, just by recovering it to OEM factory state from the recovery partition on your hard drive.

If for some reason you had no recovery partition or yours was damaged, or even to go one step further, even if your hard drive was damaged, you could replace it for 50 bucks and install a brand new copy of Windows and have it running like a top in a short while.

All the glitches, virus', malware, messed up settings, hijacked browsers, etc, will be gone from an OEM recovery or a fresh install.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 MasseyMan65560

MasseyMan65560

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:42 PM

I'd definitely get a new one. But that's me, I will never again buy or recommend anything with a celeron processor. As far as laptops go I can't really give you a recommendation besides stay away from celeron.
But like poster above me your old one has value so clean it up as best as you can and sell it.

Edited by MasseyMan65560, 16 September 2014 - 10:43 PM.

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 451 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:49 AM

In most cases, removing Virus/Spyware/Trojans/Rootkits etc. is only prolonging the agony. When a system is compromised there is no guarantee (and I don't care how many cleanup tools you run) that the system will be the same afterward. There is always a system file, dll, registry hive that has sustained irreversible damage. Then you count the time lost trying this and that and it quickly adds up to a much higher cost than if you made a backup and did a complete reinstall from the beginning. Most computer OEM's will supply you recovery media for a minimal cost (usually the cost depends on how quickly you have it delivered to you) Overnight, 3-5 Business Days, US Postal Service etc. Most computer OEM's have the drivers available on the website, and in 1/4 to 1/2 the time you spend trying this n that to remove Virus/Spyware/Malware/Trojans etc. you have a fully functional system that performs as well (if not better) as the day you purchased it, and a little extra knowledge when it comes to your system. Windows 7 & 8 as well as many 3d Party Sources offer complete imaging tools to put your system back to the way it was before disaster struck in 1/2 the time of fiddling around with all these removal tools. There is no one size fits all when it comes to Virus/Spyware/Trojan/Rootkit removal. There is Reinstall/Reimaging options most favored to wasting time trying this n that.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:31 AM

Well...I would, first...run diagnostic on the hard drive.  It's the most basic element of further consideration, IMO.

Assuming that the hard drive is OK, I would restore the system to factory defaults.

Then...I would see how it runs sans all the malware that had previously accumulated.

If those things cannot be done (minimal/no cost), then it's time to consider throwing money around, not before then, IMO.

Louis

#6 flute4me

flute4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:19 PM

So I think I might try to do the full factory reset, but I would like my data backed up first. I saw that you all said there were ways to do that--can you recommend me any good resources? I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium service pack 1 64bit

Edited by flute4me, 17 September 2014 - 02:19 PM.

#7 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 451 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:08 PM

At this point I wouldn't recommend creating a system image.

Your data worth saving would be Contacts, Documents, Email (locally stored), Favorites, Pictures, Videos, anything you treasure and can't live without. Understand that all programs and Windows Updates must be reinstalled.

For backup, you can simply grab a usb drive (size depending on the amount of data you wish to save. Storage is cheap. I just saw an offer for a WD My Passport Ultra 1.5TB Ext Hard Drive for $69 from Tiger Direct.

I would recommend that you open Control Panel open Folder Options Bring the View Tab Forward and change the following...

mark Show hidden files, folders and drives
Unmark Hide empty drives in the Computer folder
Unmark Hide extensions for known file types
Unmark Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

Click Apply Click OK to close the window.

Connect your backup media

Click the Start orb Type explorer in the search field.

Choose Windows Explorer from the list.

On the left side Find your connected backup drive, open it and create a new folder. Name it something like Latest Backup.

On the left side open Computer, open the C drive, open the Users folder, open your user account.

Here you will find the folders containing the data you might want to save. I would also recommend saving the APPData folder. This folder will initially appear faded out until you open it in the right hand panel.

Copy the folders/files you wish to save (Right click the folder and click Copy or highlight and press Ctrl + C)

Paste the folder into the Latest Backup folder of your connected backup drive (Right click the folder and click paste or highlight and press Ctrl + V)

Once you are satisfied you have it all you can perform your factory restore, Install security software get your updates from Microsoft, install your software and migrate your data to the new installation.

When you have your system the way you want it consider creating a system repair disk and creating an image of your system. See Backup and Restore in the Maintenance Folder on your Start Menu.

Ask questions when necessary!

#8 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:34 PM

You can Google the information as to how to initiate the OEM factory restore.

Different brands and models and operating systems, initiate the process in different fashions, so you need only type in,

How to do OEM restore on "brand" "model" laptop, to get the correct instructions.

As mentioned above, you will need a USB external hard drive to save your data before proceeding.

For the most part, just about everybody onlu needs the 8 main folders to be copied and pasted to the external drive.

Desktop, Downloads, Documents, Favorites, Music, Pictures, Video, Saved Games.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users