Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD BURNER drives 5 computer techs nuts

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#16 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:03 AM

Never mind. I found out it's a desktop, and a rather old one. The standard 5-1/4" DVD drives will work fine, and are less than $25US from Newegg.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 jimbotoo

jimbotoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:32 AM

Never mind. I found out it's a desktop, and a rather old one. The standard 5-1/4" DVD drives will work fine, and are less than $25US from Newegg.

davnel  Gallups  in past midnight

brother we both should be in bed, you must be a star gazer   :wizardball:

this is a cd and dvd burner as well as player

does that mean a thing???,

Jimbotoo   :hello:

Edited by jimbotoo, 18 September 2014 - 01:34 AM.

#18 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:09 AM

Almost all DVD drives are burners also. Many of them are also LightScribe burners, meaning burning labels on special disks (mostly made by HP).

Go here:  http://www.newegg.com/CD-DVD-Burners/SubCategory/ID-5

#19 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:28 AM

Even though I didn't mention it, I suspected you were dealing with used units. Hasn't the manager offered to just give you a new one? Even though it wasn't a DVD player, I had a friend of who had an issue with a couple software items on his computer and when it was discovered it was caused by one of his technicians, the manager had no problem dealing with my friends computer directly without charge

#20 jimbotoo

jimbotoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:28 PM

Even though I didn't mention it, I suspected you were dealing with used units. Hasn't the manager offered to just give you a new one? Even though it wasn't a DVD player, I had a friend of who had an issue with a couple software items on his computer and when it was discovered it was caused by one of his technicians, the manager had no problem dealing with my friends computer directly without charge

Howdy pardner :cowboy:

I am going to call the store mgr and ask for a brand new sealed dvd / burnerplayer,

hope it does not turn into a wrestle  :luke:

and thank you ever one big time

jimbotoo :hello:

#21 jimbotoo

jimbotoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:37 PM

Hi cmptrgy

Yes they were used, even their tech said so.

Almost all DVD drives are burners also. Many of them are also LightScribe burners, meaning burning labels on special disks (mostly made by HP).

Thank you davnel, had never heard of a light scribe burner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello folks :hello:

this issue was resolved by store mgr to everyones satisfaction.

Thanks to you all for helping me in the process of getting there.

I will be getting new hardware

alls well that ends well.

jimbotoo :bubbles:

Edited by jimbotoo, 18 September 2014 - 07:41 PM.

#22 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:04 PM

Thanks for the good news

#23 jimbotoo

jimbotoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:05 PM

Thanks for the good news

Hi cmptrgy

it is good news, but it is also bad news as somebody had to know this used stuff was going out the door.

even if it was their supplier

and i think the store mgr was afrade, I think he has gotton bad stuff before and it got found out by the customer and it did not go well.

Sorry to judge by intuition, but he seemed more afrade of scandle out of control then something he had actually been party to.

I do not think he was a dishonest person

there is a thing called the black market, alive and well.

in the 1950's a full kilo of pure 24 K gold 6 mm beads were exposed to massive radiation, so they could be sown to tumor's to cure cancer, a wayside treatment now i think.

the truck transporting this lead sealed medical gold was found by the side of the road, driver was never seen again, mega radio active wedding rings have shown up all over the world ever since, it is documented the necklaces killed more then a few.

I had a jewler friend who tested all incoming product with a giger counter, many jewlers do this and you never hear about,

"rosehills gold is just gold made with a high copper content, but sells for a higher price, find a ex con who can't get a job to

mix 1/2 a kilo of copper to a full kilo of rad gold, ditch him and you got a lot of rose hill gold

Ex cons have even gotton jobs at truck stops to keep the mafia aware of certian shipments that go thru, the desert is a easy lonely place to get hi jacked.

hey!

davnel :thumbup2:

thats a cool place to buy stuff, now i know why it is mentioned here so often.

this thread is over folks and thank you all.

jimbotoo :bubbles:

Edited by jimbotoo, 18 September 2014 - 11:07 PM.

#24 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:03 AM

Jimbotoo:

Here's a good overview:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LightScribe

This is the source for Lightscribe drivers and labeling software:

http://lightscribesoftware.org/

I use a package called Sure Thing because of the editing and printing features - it's a paid ap.

http://www.surething.com/?af=ST-DLX-02

CAUTION: some vinyl disk sleeves will bleach the dye out of finished lightscribe disks. Disks that are protected, have lasted 10 years so far.

#25 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:37 AM

Jimbotoo what you have experienced isn't something new. I had a friend who had a hard drive problem a few years ago. She had forgotten how they had a warranty on their computer but I pressed them to find their paperwork when they bought their computer because I sensed she and her husband would be the type to purchase a warranty of some sort. Fortunately they did have a warranty and had the hard drive "fixed" and were told they didn't need a new one. To make a long story short, I told them the "fix" wouldn't last. About a month later hard drive issues became apparent again. So the hard drive was finally replaced. They asked me to check out the new hard drive, again to make a long story short it was easy enough to know it wasn't new and I let them know that how long it will last cannot be predicted just like any other hard drive. Well about 6 months later they experienced hard drive issues again. Fortunately it was still under warranty and they finally got a new hard drive installed and the computer is still running as good as new. Now this doesn't mean the technicians weren't doing their jobs, the diagnostic programs they were using showed certain results and appropriate actions were followed up. You bring up many life experiences in your discussions and that's the way the world is (so full of challenges); the good news is though all of us have opportunities and friends to make our way through them. 

#26 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:45 AM

jimbotoo:

The thing that bothers me so much about this whole fiasco is the simple fact that DVD burners, NEW, from Newegg, are less than $20US, as you saw on their page. Why would this guy take the chance for a lousy buck or two? Doesn't make sense. Ah, well!

#27 jimbotoo

jimbotoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:03 AM

Jimbotoo:

Here's a good overview:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LightScribe

This is the source for Lightscribe drivers and labeling software:

http://lightscribesoftware.org/

I use a package called Sure Thing because of the editing and printing features - it's a paid ap.

http://www.surething.com/?af=ST-DLX-02

CAUTION: some vinyl disk sleeves will bleach the dye out of finished lightscribe disks. Disks that are protected, have lasted 10 years so far.

Good evening Davnel, :hello:

assuming you are up late as the past has indicated.

so you are so clear on this, i clicked all your links and still have not an idea in the world what a light scribe is used for.

I assume this is graphics of some sort, i am most sorry to disapoint you with this info, as i watch you try to be such a real human in your posts, no i take that back, you simply are a humanistic person in your post, so this thing is for making package lables??

please forgive my lack of understanding, i live in a anolog world, but for reasons beyound me have a great affection for digital pinoneers, next to hamluis its a coin flip as to i admire most next to you davnel, but still don't get this light scribe thing, though you sound very wise on a the subject, would say more that is complimentery but must address another fellow here who shows great depth and cherity also.

Jimbotoo what you have experienced isn't something new. I had a friend who had a hard drive problem a few years ago. She had forgotten how they had a warranty on their computer but I pressed them to find their paperwork when they bought their computer because I sensed she and her husband would be the type to purchase a warranty of some sort. Fortunately they did have a warranty and had the hard drive "fixed" and were told they didn't need a new one. To make a long story short, I told them the "fix" wouldn't last. About a month later hard drive issues became apparent again. So the hard drive was finally replaced. They asked me to check out the new hard drive, again to make a long story short it was easy enough to know it wasn't new and I let them know that how long it will last cannot be predicted just like any other hard drive. Well about 6 months later they experienced hard drive issues again. Fortunately it was still under warranty and they finally got a new hard drive installed and the computer is still running as good as new. Now this doesn't mean the technicians weren't doing their jobs, the diagnostic programs they were using showed certain results and appropriate actions were followed up. You bring up many life experiences in your discussions and that's the way the world is (so full of challenges); the good news is though all of us have opportunities and friends to make our way through them. 

CMPTRGY thank you

dealing with numbers, people and money is a almost always ill fated endeavor, I hope your friends appreciate your efforts.

For me the real problem is the time consuming fear and stress all this creates.

Mostly people are good and they want to live good, at the expense of being banned here I will say the truth.

We live in a country that has lost all its real jobs, manufacturing a real product for a real dollar, not a loan dollar based on a low interest rate. we are yet living in a false boom based on low interest rates, while making real goods has been imported to china by the very law makers who own those companys that reap the profits of the new china slave labor, free trade was a war tool to defeat south africa by the dutch, they bought only out side the country till south africa went bankrupt.

And then bought out the forclosed till they owned the country. And karma got them just what they deserved. we are now trading in america services for services, with nothing made here exporting our wealth with every dollar we make, no one makes a real dollar that is backed by a traded home land manufactured good, whose whole creation/inception started here, AND THERE FOR WILL END HERE........so every dollar has a noose on it, and  is not a real homeland  real free trade of " you got my lawn mower and i got your dollar, real dollars are the work of supply and demand with in a country that has no trade deficite in the bargin.

you buy a imported part in germany, you pay a tax for the people it will put out of work.

if america out lawed the import of wash clothes, can openers, and sheets and linens, there would be a over night success boom puting millions to work, with in a few months.

free trade is brain washed in so the few who used to employ the many, and stablized poverty/crime can make a un-needed fourtune at the cost of the poor who in the insanity of poverty rape our dauthers and home invasion our old out of pure rage, all psychologist will tell you 5 out of ten folks will not and never will have business skills, they will flounder with out mill work and drive you crazy till you no longer have a serene life, as no american does now, did your kid make it home from school today.?.

we may worship our big money making brain people, but if we do, its is because most folks don't have big brains to get by with and it deverts our attention from the facts---joe lunch box has been left in the cold till he eats us.

Or sells junk used computer parts, he pulled from the junk yard.

Given grunt jobs

those/most workers would spend those dollars in a balence to traded services that would end the need to rip us all off when we deal with each other buying a computer part, which in my case was used pieces of junk installed three times cause some disperate guy had to steal to get by and feed his family.

there are those who will tell you this state of existence has always been the norm, they are liers with a agenda, most folks would love the stress free world of working for a real hourerly wage dollar, hamburger jobs just don't provide that.

There has always been deciet and deception, but that was done by folks who enjoyed ripping people off, not by folks who you read about every day, living in a shack and eating crackers and vienna wieners.

there is nothing off topic about this post.

To see this as off topic is blindness.

this is how the details made my rip off happen.

jimbotoo  :hello:

PS I still have no spell check when i come here,   :scratchhead:

Edited by jimbotoo, 20 September 2014 - 01:38 PM.

#28 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:06 AM

jimbotoo:

I'm sorry. THe LightScribe system is simply an easy way to print labels on special optical disks. LightScribe disks have a special coating on top that can be written on by the burner's laser. Yes, it takes a special, high power burner to do it. They say so on the package. The burners are interchangeable with non-LightScribe drives, but require LightScribe driver software to operate.

I have included a link to three images of LS disks: 

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=95E27ECB4C10133C!1480&authkey=!APayR4UZP2nLNmE&ithint=folder%2cjpg

Image #1 is of a disk labeled in 2007 and stored in a standard paper sleeve.

Image #2 is dated and is on a green disk. Many colors are now available.

Image #3 was written in 2012 and stored in a vinyl sleeve binder. It has been completely bleached.

#29 jimbotoo

jimbotoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:26 PM

jimbotoo:

I'm sorry. THe LightScribe system is simply an easy way to print labels on special optical disks. LightScribe disks have a special coating on top that can be written on by the burner's laser. Yes, it takes a special, high power burner to do it. They say so on the package. The burners are interchangeable with non-LightScribe drives, but require LightScribe driver software to operate.

I have included a link to three images of LS disks: 

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=95E27ECB4C10133C!1480&authkey=!APayR4UZP2nLNmE&ithint=folder%2cjpg

Image #1 is of a disk labeled in 2007 and stored in a standard paper sleeve.

Image #2 is dated and is on a green disk. Many colors are now available.

Image #3 was written in 2012 and stored in a vinyl sleeve binder. It has been completely bleached.

Thanks DAVNEL,

OK now i get it and a wonderful idea as well, I have seen some of these printed at goodwill disc bins, some i noted seemed a bit home spun and too personal to be of mass production --like very professional looking "Jason Family reunion 2003" and wondered  ha ha ha how rich the jason family must be to have professional etiched lables for a family reunion.

disk three is a heart break, as the ink disappeared, DANVEL it is said all ink on many CD's unless painted, will fade someday.

but in any case

This is a very empowering device. SADLY AND FOUND TOO LATE, LIBRARY ID lables can really mess up some laptop disk players with/as their plastic tape round attachment style lables make the disc thicker and off set the player alignment, plus some are very thick and heavy, play a lot of them and your player will not play a thinner disk or have a problem with it.

LASTLY I WANTED TO, WITHOUT A GREAT AMOUNT OF DETAIL LET EVERYONE KNOW, THE COMPUTER STORE DOUBLED MY MEMORY FOR MY HASSELS AND EXPERIANCE

jIMBOTOO :bubbles:

Edited by jimbotoo, 20 September 2014 - 01:36 PM.

#30 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:59 PM

jimbotoo:

Delighted to hear about the memory upgrade. They should have provided a new LS drive, also. One note: many of the external USB DVD burners from I/O Magic and LightOn are Lightscribe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users