Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can You Install A Gateway Xp Disc On An Emachines Computer?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 El_Kabong

El_Kabong

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:33 AM

My g/f has an emachines computer and the hard drive died on it. It's out of warranty so they didn't replace it. It didn't come with a Windows cd, just an emachines system restore cd, but since the hard drive is dead there would be nothing to restore, right? or would that have windows xp on it?

I still have 2000 on mine and put that on her computer but she doesn't like it and wants XP back. Don't wanna pay $200 for it, would I be able to use the cd that came with my mom's Gateway computer and install and activate it on the emachines?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:39 AM

Use the Emachines restore disk.

#3 El_Kabong

El_Kabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:41 AM

ok, so that does have windows on it? do you know of any websites on how to use it? emachines will only tell me if we pay them

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:02 AM

If it is an Emachines Restore disk it will have Windows (whatever version came with the computer) as well as all other software that Emachines installed on the computer when new.

You should have a set of restore cds, not just one.

Go to Emachines support here and select your machine,
http://www.emachines.com/support/product_s...ies&model=W3080

Then click on "Product Support and Downloads"

And after you select the configuration for your computer (e.g. desktop and model number), click on "User Guides" which will tell you exactly how to use the restore disks.

#5 El_Kabong

El_Kabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:18 AM

yeah, it has 3 discs, i put them in a few days ago but couldn't figure out what i needed to install and run....

thanks, you're the man!

#6 El_Kabong

El_Kabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:36 PM

ok, i tired but it didn't work. it installed but it messed up at the name your computer screen. no matter what i do (keep the computer name widnows makes, make a new one, or hit skip) it freezes on that screen. the cursor turns to an hourglass then back to a pointer but doesn't go anywhere and you can't hit any option other than the help thing.

i took out the ethernet card and re-did the restore w/ just the hard drive, cdrom, keyboard and mouse hooked up but it still locks up at the same place. going into vga mode doesn't help and it won't let me into safemode yet

#7 El_Kabong

El_Kabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:49 AM

ok, i figured it out...i used the restore disc and instead of going thru the regular set up i booted into vga mode and when it asked me to confirm the screen resolution i hit cancel and it gave me a different kind of windows setup (like a normal windows one, not emachines out of the box experience)

anyway, i was able to make it all the way thru.

now i have a new question, could that work to put XP on my computer that has 2000 on it? it has to wipe my c drive to do it so i don't wanna try and lose everything.

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:17 PM

The Windows XP license is only good for the machine it came with. If you put it on another machine, that's piracy and as soon as you connect both to the internet, both Windows systems will be shut down. You must activate Windows within 30 days. You cannot activate the same license on two machines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users