I have a number of questions, as I want to backup all of my laptop in case it dies, its 2 years old.
I want to know several things. If you have any info on even one of them please don't hesitate.
1) Which program should I use: nero, norton security suite, or the windows standard backup/restore utility.
2) I dont have a hard disk external that is big, only like 8gb flashdrives. So I plan to use DVDs, which I have a whole bundle of. Assuming it will take more than a few DVDs for the first full backup ever, what if I have time to burn about 2 DVDs worth, and then have to do more the next day or couple days later. Can I continue where I left off(I assume I could if I just leave the program open and let it say "please insert a blank disk" the whole time. But I mean if I don't want to have the program running the whole time, taking up resources.
3) Let's say I do a full backup today, successfully onto DVDs. Over the next 6 months I add lots of personal data to the computer. If I go to do a backup again, will it just backup what has been added since the original backup, or will it do a new full backup(thus wasting of DVDs)?
4) What folders should I backup? I mean obviously I'm gonna select pictures, videos, etc and my documents for all my personal items. But what about programs, for example C:/Program Files. If I backup that entire folder, then when I get a new laptop would those be install? If not, I won't have a need to back them up.
5) IS there a better way to backup than DVDs- that is, without spending $80 for an external HD? AKA a free program, website, or a inexpensive website (I wouldnt pay more than a few dollars a month at most).
Thank you all if there are any replies, I am very much in need of help!