Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Get Into My Network Remotely?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:28 AM

Hey gang,

I am not sure how to do this, so I would appreciate some ideas and different options.

I have a few computers at home, all networked, and DSL internet (dynamic IP). My job often takes me on the road, so I was wondering, how can I access my files from the road?

Often I am staying in hotels that offer internet connection.

How do I get Excel, Word, or other documents onto my laptop from the road? Do I need a static IP addy? Do I HAVE to use a service like gotomypc.com or do I have other options?

Thanks for your help, as I am not really a network guy.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RichieP

RichieP

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:16 AM

You can set up Remote Desktop for yourself.

See this link and the ones on the left side of the page.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:46 PM

I travel about 30% of the year too. I prefer to just use online file storage.
That way I don't have to worry about wether or not my computer is on or a power outage.
Of course, anything sensitive gets encrypted first. :thumbsup:

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 11 June 2006 - 09:06 PM

lots of options, many pc's, you may want to check out VPN. linksys makes a very good router (i liked it so much i bought it!), WRV54G, it is a "roadwarrior" vpn router, and can open a tunnel from lan to lan. it uses "linksys quick vpn" as a client software, it is simple to use, and it uses IPSEC protocols which are very secure. Beats out microsofts PPTP and other methods for security. as for redirecting, the WRV54G has a built in redirector using DYNDNS www.dyndns.com , it is a free service you sign up to, and you dont have to install crappy broadcast software on your pc. you dont even have to set up static or port forwarding.

another pc to pc remote mgmt tool is VNC, and PCAnywhere. both are very popular and easy to use, the downfall is one pc at a time, instead of your whole lan. but it is a remote desktop. here yo need port forewarding on your routers settings.

PM if you want expanded answer on anything. this stuff i do all day long :thumbsup:
Google...Google.....browse..read

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 11 June 2006 - 11:12 PM

I use something similar to Snapper to access my file at home from the office.

NO-IP.com
Port Forward
DSLWebServer

The second two are for reference.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 02:42 PM

Or you could just save yourself the money and headaches and not bother with a VPN router or port forwarding and just use Hamachi instead. It'll give you a secure VPN connection with a minimum of setup.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 Mr Smooth

Mr Smooth

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:14 PM

Mr Alpha .... cheers for the link... that works like a charm!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users