Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery Drive Full

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JayUS

JayUS

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:39 AM

I recently installed a new Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD into my HP Pavillion dv6-6120us.  Only about 100GB of the old drive was being used.  I first cloned my hard drive using Acronis True Image 2014.  Everything went fine...the laptop now fires up in about 1/10th of the time.  Programs open quickly and everything is working great except I frequently get a message the my RECOVERY (D:) drive is full.  When I try the disk cleanup tool there are no files to clean up.  I have read on various forums that this is not a problem since the drive is not used, and I wouldn't bother with it except for that pesky message that comes up (it usually come up after I first reboot, but can pop up at any time).  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:49 PM

Hello, and Welcome

First make sure you do not have System Restore Active on the Recovery partition D:.   In the guide I linked to, highlight D: if system restore is enabled and press the configure button to disable. Open D: and look in the root directory. Are there any very large files?

#3 JayUS

JayUS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:58 PM

JohnC_21...Thank you for your response.  I checked the protection setting and (D:) is disabled and there are no large files in the root directory.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:11 PM

Open D: again but allow hidden files and uncheck hide protected operating system files in folder options. Are there any large files shown?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/show-hidden-files-in-windows-7/

#5 JayUS

JayUS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:30 PM

There is a file called preload that contains 11.7GB.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:41 PM

I would not delete that. I believe it's required for your factory recovery. How much free space is left on D:?

Edit: Please see the following HP support pages. It may help. Look for any file that has a recent date of creation

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01508532&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

HP may be creating auto backups

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00678180&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 September 2014 - 04:50 PM.

#7 JayUS

JayUS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:51 PM

Yes, dire warning under the HP logo about messing with this file.  D: has...

Used space:  13,527,445,504 bytes    12.5 GB

Free space:               229,376 bytes     224 KB

Capacity:     13,527,674,880 bytes    12.5 GB

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:53 PM

See my edited post. Look for recent file dates. Also if HP is backing up files to D:

#9 JayUS

JayUS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:57 PM

Okay, thank you very much.  I'll follow up with these HP pages and post an update as soon as I can.

#10 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:51 AM

Okay, thank you very much.  I'll follow up with these HP pages and post an update as soon as I can.

I think you may need to expand that recovery partition up to 16GB using a 3rd party partition manager (Easeus or Partition Wizard) to get rid of that Recovery Drive Full notification.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users