Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Android upgrade issues causing aggro!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Frustrated

Mr_Frustrated

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:13 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to understand who controls the content of the latest Android v.4.4.2 upgrade on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - Android / Google or Samsung?

I see changes such as in the way that for example, the S-pen stylus captures handwriting and converts this to text in say the S-Note app.  Don't know what this has to do with an operating software upgrade though at first glance????  I.e.:

1. It's much slower to convert free handwritten text to typed characters than in previous operating software versions (I have predictive text off  and very few automatic grammar rules enabled!)

2. The writing area has a "guide" line through the middle of the "pad" and if you don't keep in line with this it struggles to work out what you are writing (in the past this wasn't present and the converter seemed to have no problems)

3.It seems to want to show the handwriting I've written as "cleaned up" free text before converting this to typed characters on the main screen above (same logic applies to email app' etc.) which makes the whole process slower - and means I can actually overwrite my previous phrase before it reaches the final screen when I'm in full flow!

4. If I write some text by hand and then hit space bar ready for the next word, this acts to clear the words I've just entered as a kind of "erase"  - surely this is a bug?

Samsung Help don't seem interested to even confirm if these points are new "features" or actually "bugs" which set me thinking perhaps they can't influence any of this on their phone?  But then just testing it before putting the upgrade into the field would highlight that it's actually worse than before and they might try to do something!

I am the only person who thinks that upgrades actually mean functionality is going backwards!

Would welcome any comments ....and useful explanations!  Thanks.

....And that's before I get on to the change in use of external storage cards which is crazy!  (Which I know that Android / Google is enforcing)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users