Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crashing after flicker on screen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 anonanon

anonanon

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:03 AM

I have a desktop PC running Win XP (SP 3).  It has begun intermittently crashing, with this behavior:

- for a few seconds, a pattern of small black rectangles flashes rapidly across the screen

- then the system hangs; cursor is frozen, keyboard won't work, ctrl-alt-del won't work

- I force a shutdown with the power button

- It reboots to windows normally

It stays on a few minutes, or a few hours, before it crashes again.  It has crashed within a few minutes of starting up after being off overnight -- so a buildup of heat doesn't seem to be the problem.

What are the most likely things that could be causing this?  How can I test to try to identify or eliminate those possible causes?

Thanks for ideas,

Roger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:45 PM

I'd start with the power supply first as the most likely suspect.  The voltage circuits are seperate from each other and have their own regulators so one or more could be dropping out.  If not the P/S,  I would suspect the CPU, heatsink and fan, observation will give the biggest clues.  A multimeter on the P/S during operation might help to eliminate or confirm its failure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users