Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router will not connect after using adwcleaner

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GTX383

GTX383

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:30 AM

Hi all, I hope I can get my issue solved here. I have been going in circles trying what I have read to resolve my issue.  So I have  HP computer model p7-1003W, Windows 7 home premium 2009 service pack 1, AMD processor 650 ; 3.20 GHz, Ram 8.00 GB (7.75 usable) OS 64 bit. K hope that covers all of that. Skill level - low.  

I wanted to get rid of ads that were popping up, (adware)  and then one morning ( I was using chrome)  things got even worse, safe finder became the search engine, chrome disappeared. It was the last straw!! So I read around and decided to use AdwCleaner v3.309. I printed out the report when it got done, if that is of any help. (There are 13 pages) There was as far as I could tell  only one thing to be removed, so I agreed. I have got to say everything seems fine, except I cannot make the router work. And when I say fine, my computer has gotten so fast!!! I am amazed. So now to get the router to do its thing.  Right now I am running from the modem to the computer and the router is not in the loop. When I do hook it up the message is "could not detect network's proxy" and "local area connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration. Also a 651 message has appeared and lastly I am asked for user name and password that my IP should have supplied to me. I have been through this with the internet provider and they said they do not supply a password. I have did some different unplugging and reconnections to reboot. It almost seems like the actual connection order is wrong in the "internet options" selection. Under "connections" it is empty. Well I also tried the  "toolbox" that was suggested on this site, but still no connection. Everything worked before the adwcleaner, so I am guessing it should still work if I can just figure out what is missing!! Got any ideas??  Thank you in advance for the use of your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:31 PM

Hello GTX383:
  • Please tell us the exact manufacturer's brand name and model number of the router.
  • Please tell us the company name of your ISP?
  • Please tell us if the router is owned by your ISP and leased to you?
  • Since Xplodes' AdwCleaner likely doesn't touch any router in any manner, have you tried removing power from the router for about 30 seconds, and re-applying power?
  • A full factory reset of a router is usually a bit more detailed than a simple power reset, have you sought and followed your router's instructions for resetting your router to its factory defaults?
Thank you.

Edited by 1PW, 16 September 2014 - 01:32 PM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#3 GTX383

GTX383
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:06 PM

The router is Linksys E1000 by Cisco, I use Charter, The router was bought thru Charter after a rental period, I have unplugged the router and tried different variations of hooking it up. I did contact Linksys for information, but it was $30.00 to talk to them with a $15.00 refund if they couldn't fix it, and or a $60.00 charge, and or $129.00 to buy a new one. I also talked to the IP, and they confirm I have service, but do not deal with the router now. Thank you again for your response. So I can probably find the reset to factory default on line if that is a recommended fix, I will try that. I did see that the password s/b   admin  .

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:04 PM

These are general instructions for how to reset a router:
  • Unplug or turn off your DSL/cable modem.
  • Locate the router's reset button.
  • Press, and hold, the Reset button down for 30 seconds. <-Important!!!
  • Wait for the Power, WLAN and Internet light to turn on (On the router).
  • Plug in or turn on your modem (if it is separate from the router).
  • Open your web browser to see if you have an Internet connection.
  • If you don't have an Internet connection you may need to restart your computer.
For more specific information on your particular model, check the owner's manual. If you do not have a manual, look for one on the vendor's web site which you can download and keep for future reference.

How to Reset Linksys Router Factory Settings
Linksys E1000 Support
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:06 PM

http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/userguide/E1000_V10_UG_USA_NC-WEB,0.pdf

The above should help you with the reset to factory defaults.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#6 GTX383

GTX383
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:58 PM

I will do this tomorrow when I have some privacy and don't have to stop start stop start the process.  Thank you again.  I will post results!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users