Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Receiving 'Your Connection is not Private' message....

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NancyNo5

NancyNo5

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:01 AM

When trying to access some websites I receive a privacy error message saying 'Your Connection is not Private'.  This is happening on Google and a similar message occurs on Comodo Dragon when I try to sign into the same website (in this case AOL mail).

This does not happen on the 3 laptops in the house (using windows 7).

Specs:

Windows XP Home, SP 3 (yes I know it's old and not supported but cannot afford new system right now)

Dell Dimension DIM3000

Intel Celeron CPU 2.40G

Verizon Fios modem/router - hardwired

Google up to date

Comodo Dragon up to date

Time Clock/Date  correct

Using Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows Firewall (have also tried disabling Firewall and still cannot access site).

Thank you.

Nancy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:05 PM

The message means you can't get a secure SSL connection. Since you are using Chrome, try connecting in Incognito mode. If you can connect that way, one of your browser extensions is interfering with the connection. Try removing add-ons you don't need or use. Click on the menu icon in the upper right and select New incognito window, or press Ctrl-Shift-N with the browser open.

If that doesn't work, the SSL certificates on your computer may be out of date. Because Chrome uses the same certificates as Internet Explorer. make sure your Windows Updates and Microsoft product updates are up to date.

#3 NancyNo5

NancyNo5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:15 AM

Doesn't work in incognito and have no browser extensions.  XP up to date (as much as it can be) with SP3.  

Tried Internet Explorer and can't get in that way either

Cleaned out cache, browser history, cookies,  temp internet folder, even reset router....still cannot get in on this system.  

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:47 PM

Part of the problem is the Windows XP is no longer supported, so you probably won't get the latest certificates from Windows Update.

You may want to try Firefox, as Mozilla uses it's own certificates and those will continue to be updated.

#5 NancyNo5

NancyNo5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:37 AM

Yep, Firefox is the answer. :bananas:    Eventually will get rid of this dinosaur, just can't right now. 

Thanks for your help.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:43 AM

Glad that worked out for you. :)

Yep, XP had a good, long run. But with Microsoft ending support for it, you will start having issues with it, security and otherwise. Don't wait too long.

#7 annetteriley

annetteriley

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:51 PM

You can follow this tutorial to fix error “Your connection is not private” in Google Chrome. There are some ways to fix, or ignore and bypass the warning.

#8 StarrieN1te

StarrieN1te

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:23 PM

JayJax, thank you for responding to my inquiry. I'm sorry it took so long for me to answer, I didn't see the notification email from bleepingcomputer until today - it was in my spam folder along with some bills that should have been in my inbox. I believe flashh4 asked the question on March 18 - 2016 0 at 7:05am on behalf of his/her granddaughter who keeps getting pop ups saying that 'Your connection is not Secure'. I've seen the same message on my computer. My email was hacked as well as my Amazon account & who knows what else. I'm trying to understand how things are suppose to work, I'm confused and I don't know of anyone I can trust to help me. I really don't even understand how to maneuver your site in order to ask for help. I probably have some malware, viruses, worms, etc.  Right now I have to walk away from my computer for awhile so I can clear my head. I sincerely thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I come to your site often, hopefully one day I'll be able to follow procedures & get help.   

#9 annetteriley

annetteriley

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:37 PM

You can follow this tutorial to fix error “Your connection is not private” in Google Chrome. There are some ways to fix, or ignore and bypass the warning.

It seems that the link on my post was broken. Found another one. Check it out!

www.usefulpcguide.com/16666/your-connection-is-not-private/

Edited by annetteriley, 09 June 2016 - 12:39 PM.

#10 EjDj118

EjDj118

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:22 PM

Maybe a hacker loves your pc.

#11 StarrieN1te

StarrieN1te

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 12:58 PM

EjDj118,

I see that you have been a member since yesterday . . . are you the hacker . . .? Is your response suppose to be funny?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users