Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adwcleaner listing Firefox preferences and resets to default

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 3dreal

3dreal

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:13 AM

The problem i have is listed here already. maybe the adwcleaner-makers are reading it.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1012297?esab=a&as=aaq#question-reply

Normally adwcleaner finds data. if not at least always firefox preferences are listed. when deleting settings will be reset to default. one cannot uncheck browser findings if only data needs to be removed.

If no addons are installed, firefox- firstrun-site and mozilla-standard-site will always be opened. only Firefox-reset will correct this.

When addon are installed multiple of these addons-sites will be openend. Impossible to stop except firefox-reset. Is very boring since when using febe, all setting there must be implemented againa an again after AdwCleaner cleaned. Its very boring.  btw: winxp used. I already meantioned this in german camp-firefox. but they are mocking about me using still winxp. which is stable. not what they are constantly repeating.  now my thread is blocked.

http://www.camp-firefox.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=109087

Can the misery be stopped? I already complaned in febe-forum. but its an adwcleaner-problem.

yes my system is clean. problem on all my drives and two pcs.

Edited by hamluis, 16 September 2014 - 08:19 AM.
Moved from XP to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:23 PM

AdwCleaner is a free portable adware cleaner created by Xplode (a BC Security Colleague) that will search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, extensions, add-ons, browser helper objects (BHOs) and other junkware to include related registry entries (values, keys). It will also clean FF and Chrome extensions and Add-ons. When first run AdwCleaner includes options under the tabs to show what was found and to allow disabling detections you want to keep since not all detections are necessarily bad. The only things you can't uncheck is Chrome and Firefox preferences lines but you still can view them in the "Chrome" and "Firefox" tab. If a detection is made the preference line will be removed when running the tool.

This all by design.

In some cases AdwCleaner may detect items related to legitimate programs...if in doubt about a particular detection, a Google search should be performed to gather additional information before removal.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 3dreal

3dreal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:54 PM

I am very relived, Thank you very much. That is just what i thought or hoped. Keep them alone when only browser-prefs are listed. just closing the program.

In camp-firefox(german version of this forum) they closed my thread mocking about me still having winxp. Telling me a chaos is under way on my pc and that its very dangerous still using winxp. Which is not the case. There was a program with mutliple duplicates of favorites which we solved despite there is not perfect tool to do. winxp is stable like never before. I am also in sysopt-forum-most of the time. winxp-pcs will not disturb the world.

Edited by 3dreal, 17 September 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,592 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:54 PM

You're welcome.

#5 3dreal

3dreal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:41 PM

Run again adwcleaner on old hdd. Have found out on newer hdd when only browser preferences are found and i will delete them (dont know how to select) firefox is starting normally.

when not working properly i see multiple firefox instances open the next time(two mozilla the other ones addon-sites.

I now see multiple actual firefox-preferences folders with the same creation time.  Oned could save them, preventing from deleting. dont know how make that. highlighting them. there are no checkboxes.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,592 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:50 PM

...I now see multiple actual firefox-preferences folders with the same creation time.  Oned could save them, preventing from deleting. dont know how make that. highlighting them. there are no checkboxes.

...The only things you can't uncheck is Chrome and Firefox preferences lines...

#7 europanorama

europanorama

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:04 PM

I dont see any options to check firefox/chrome-options? What must be done before deleting?

btw: i have uninstalled/cleaned(with revo) and installed firefox 32.03 again since i could not repeat the success-story from my newer drive.

Installed only noscript and ghostery. Will check a bit later what will happen when i delete ff-preferences. but i would really like to know how to check/leaving them alone before deleting.

I both cases(latest scan) on new and old drive nothing had been displayed except the browser-preferences.

A different person stated that the main problem only occurs on restricted accounts. Thats why i will try this out and set it as administrator before scanning. On admin-account i will reinstall the old addons with febe. Thanks

#8 europanorama

europanorama

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:10 PM

Sorry did not reflect enough. I must leave the found preferences alone if no files are found.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,592 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:42 PM

I have said this previously...you cannot uncheck preferences lines in Chrome and Firefox. If a detection is made the preference line will be removed when running the tool.

#10 3dreal

3dreal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:53 AM

Unclear is when Adwcleaner has finished. When log is shown up? or when there is at least one entry? Then all entries would be listed at the same time, right?

newest adwcleaner is still telling: Wait.... german: warte ab. Waiting to clean? wierd. after cleaning it says log is shown after restart. I could already see it before....

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,592 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:46 PM

When AdwCleaner is first run, it will create a new folder located at C:\AdwCleaner. The Quarantine sub-folder is created the same time as when the AdwCleaner folder is created. The Backup subfolder is created when choosing the option to clean. All reports (AdwCleaner[S0].txt, AdwCleaner[R0].txt) logs are all stored in the AdwCleaner folder - on %systemdrive%\AdwCleaner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users