Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HOW TO REGAIN LOGON ACCESS TO WINDOWS SERVER 2008?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SYOB SYOT

SYOB SYOT

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:00 PM

HAY,

I WANT TO KNOW, (IF THERE IS ANYONE WHI WILL READ THIS), IF YOU HAVE SUGGESTION HOW TO GAIN LOGON ACCESS TO WINDOWS SERVER 2008?

ONE DAY, I LOGGED ON NORMALLY, AND ANOTHER DAY, IT DOES NOT WANT TO LOG ME ON.

I DID NOT CHANGED PASSWORD IN CONTROL PANEL.

I CHANGED SOME SETTINGS IN GROUP POLICY, (INCLUDING USER NAME) BUT I DELETED THAT POLICY AFTER PROBLEM STARTED, AND DID NOT HELPED.

I AM USING ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT, AND CAN NOT LOG ON ON IT.

WHILE LOGGING ON, WINDOWS DO NOT REPORT ANY ERRORS, EXCEPT THAT PASSWORD IS WRONG.

I CHECKED ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT STATUS, AND IT IS ACTIVE, AND I RESETTED PASSWORD FOR ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT, BUT THIS DOES NOT HELP EITHER.

I ACTIVATED GUEST ACCOUNT, BUT IT DOES NOT WANT TO LOG ME ON TO THAT ACCOUNT EITHER.

I EVEN CREATED NEW ACCOUNT, BUT IT DOES NOT WANT TO SAVE IT AFTER REBOOT.

IT MIGHT BE BECAUSE ALL THINGS I MENTIONED HERE I HAVE BEEN TRIEING FROM WINDOWS SERVER 2008 RE, NOT WHEN WINDOWS IS FULLY STARTED (NORMALLY).

SO, (IF ANYONE RED THIS [DESPITE I DOUBTH ANYONE DID RED THIS POST]), CAN YOU SUGGEST ME WHAT TO DO? (IT HAS TO BE FROM WINDOWS SERVER 2008 RE (RECOVERY ENVIRONMENT), BECAUSE WORKING IN NORMAL NOR SAFE MODE IS NOT POSSIBLE.

NOTES: RESTORING TO EARLYER POINT OF TIME IS NOT AVAILABLE (DESPITE I CAN START SYSTEM RESTORE FROM RE, BUT, WINDOWS SERVER 2008 DOES NOT SUPPORT IT.).

ALSO, WINDOWS 8 HAS ABILITY TO REFRESH ANOTHER OPEARATING SYSTEM. BUT WHEN I TRY TO REFRESH WINDOWS SERVER 2008 FROM WINDOWS 8 SETUP (YES I HAVE BOTH INSTALLATION DISKS (FROM WINDOWS 8 AND WINDOWS SERVER 2008) PUTTED IN THE DVD READERS) AFTER ABOUT 3 MINUTS OF REFRESHING, IT SAYS IT FAILED. AND CHOOSING "UPGRADE" OPTION FROM WINDOWS SERVER 2008 RE DOES NOT WORK UNLESS I CAN LOG ON. SO, I AM OUT OF OPTIONS. AND YES, COMPUTER IS NOT PART OF A DOMAIN, SO IT IS NOT CONTROLLED BY DOMAIN RULES (DESPITE IT IS IN A ITS OWN DOMAIN, SINCE I INSTALED ROLES FOR DOMAIN CONTROLLER. BUT IF ANYTHING FROM THIS ROLES MIGHT CAUSED THIS, I JUST WANT YOU TO KNOW IT IS LOCAL ERROR, BECAUSE THERE ARE NO OTHER COMPUTERS IN MY NETWORK.).

IS THERE A WAY TO REBUILD USER ACCOUNTS?

OR REENABLE LOGGING ON?

Edited by SYOB SYOT, 15 September 2014 - 11:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:22 PM

Typing in all caps is considered yelling and rude.  FYI

Usually when you find yourself in this situation you have to reinstall from scratch.  As a rule always make backup administrator accounts.  You have learned the hard way that you always want a back door into the system ie. another admin account.

You may wish to try some of the suggestions in this article.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj852165(v=ws.10).aspx

Edited by Wand3r3r, 16 September 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#3 SYOB SYOT

SYOB SYOT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:17 PM

OKEY, I KNOW ALL OF THIS. :)

GROUP POLICY IS DELETED, SO, IT IS NOT THE PROBLEM SINCE ADMINISTRATOR IS ENABLED BY DEFAULT.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:55 PM

Why are you still typing in caps?

Just because the policy was deleted does not matter.  It appears to have been applied.  That is what matters.

What did the policy change?  Do you remember?  Was your admin password upper or lower case?

If this is just a training server I would just reinstall and learn from the issue.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 18 September 2014 - 01:56 PM.

#5 SYOB SYOT

SYOB SYOT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:09 PM

HAY. :P

I ALLWAYS TYPE IN CAPS. ;)

ARE YOU SURE, IT DOES NOT METTER?

FOR EXAMPLE, IN WINDOWS SERVER 2012, I CHANGED A LOT OF SETTINGS IN GROUP POLICY, THEN I DELETED IT (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\GROUPPOLICY\MACHINE\REGISTRY.POL) (THE SAME FOR USER FULDER) (USING WINDOWS 8 FOR THAT), AND AFTER I STARTED WINDOWS SERVER 2012, THOSE SETTINGS I CHANGED WERE NOT APPLYED ANYMORE, AND A NEW EMPTY REGISTRY.POL FILE WAS CREATED.

SO, I THINK I CAN GO WITH THE SAME METHOD FOR WINDOWS SERVER 2008. AND IT DID NOT HELPED. I THINK THIS MEANS THAT SOMWHERE ELSE SOMETHING IS WRONG, NOT IN GROUP POLICY.

I DID NOT CHANGED MUCH SETTINGS. I THINK MOST OF THEM IS IRRELEVANT. ONE SETTING I CHANGED WAS RENAME ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT. SO I TYPED A NEW NAME FOR THIS ACCOUNT. BUT IT DOES NOT METTER, BECAUSE USING OLD NAME OR NEW NAME FOR ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT, WITH GROUP POLICY REGISTRY FILE DELETED OR NOT, IT DOES NOT WORK.

PASSWORD IS STRONG. WINDOWS SERVER 2008 REQUIRES STRONG PASSWORD (UPPER, LOWER, NUMBERS, SPECIAL SIGNS). BUT I REMEMBER MY PASSWORD EXACTLY, I USE IT FOR LAST DECADE IN MY EVERY ACCOUNT IN WINDOWS, ON WEB, AND SO ON. SINCE WINDOWS XP APPEARD, WHEN I FIRST INSTALLED IT, I CREATED THAT PASSWORD, AND USE IT UNTILL TODAY. NEWER CHANGED PASSWORD. SO, AFTER SO MANY YEARS, I REMEMBER IT EXACTLY. IT IS IMPOSIBLE THAT I TYPE IT WRONG.

I USED RECOVERY (REPAIR MY COMPUTER OPTIONS FROM WINDOWS DVD) TO SET PASSWORD FROM CMD AS STANDARD, YOU KNOW ABCdef123, BUT DESPITE IT SAYS COMMAND WAS SUCCESSFULL, I DOUBT HE ACCEPTED IT FOR REAL. WHEN I RESTARTED WINDOWS SERVER 2008, I TRIED BOTH OLD AND NEW PASSWORD WITH OLD AND NEW USER NAME, BUT NOTHING. SOMETHING IS REALLY WRONG.

YES, THIS IS JUST FOR TESTING PURPOSES.

IT IS NOT USED AS SERVER.

JUST TO LEARN A BIT HOW IT IS WORKING.

WELL, IT HAS TO BE EITHER IN THE REGISTRY, OR IN THE USER DATA.

I AM PLANNING REINSTALL JUST WINDOWS REGISTRY (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG) THAT IS WHERE REGISTRY FILES ARE STORED, AND REPLACE THEM WITH THOSE WHICH ARE ORIGINAL (THOSE WINDOWS MAKES AT THE TIME OF INSTALLATION (I HAVE A COPPY)) (I KNOW IT IS STUPID), AND TO SEE IF THIS IS WORKING. BECAUSE I DO NOT FEAL LIKE WAITING FOR SETUP TO REINSTALL WHOLE WINDOWS, AND PLUS I WILL LOOSE MY DATA. I WILL JUST REINSTALL WINDOWS REGISTRY (MANUALLY) COPPY PASTE METHOD, HAHA, AND SEE IF IT DOES HELP. IF DOES NOT, THEN I WILL REPLACE USER DATA (C:\USERS\ADMINISTRATOR\NTUSER.DAT) WITH ORIGINAL FROM THE DAY OF INSTALLATION, BUT IF DOES FIRST THING HELP, THEN I WILL FIND AT WHICH REGISTRY HIVE IS THE PROBLEM, AND JUST THAT REGISTRY HIVE REPLACE, AND OTHER HIVES LEAVE AS THEY ARE TODAY.

ANYWAY, THANX FOR SUGGESTIONS. TO REINSTALL IT, BUT IF I WILL BE REINSTALLING, I WILL NOT REINSTALL WHOLE WINDOWS. THIS IS FASTER METHOD. :P

Edited by SYOB SYOT, 19 September 2014 - 02:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users