Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

black death screen, ineffectual arrow cursor, frst64 finds no fixes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chrisbreyer

chrisbreyer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:22 PM

Without prompting, black screen on boot-up appeared today, windows 7 system fix does not fix problem.

Apparently I had no restore points saved, or if I did, they are now gone.  I frankly don't remember if I had any.

I came across a topic here handled by Marius, which showed how to run FRST64 (I run windows 7 64 bit professional).

When I ran it, no fixlist was generated.  the text file for the run results showed everything whitelisted so far as I could tell, with no system restore points.

Any suggestions?  Will post text file from frst64, if thought helpful. 

Mod Edit:  Deleted FRST data, nof allowed/used in this forum, see No DDS, HijackThis, or ComboFix logs - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum-167/announcement-45-no-dds-hijackthis-or-combofix-logs-should-be-posted-in-this-forum/ - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 16 September 2014 - 09:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisbreyer

chrisbreyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:45 PM

This is the topic I had been following, with Marius.

Frankly, prior to finding this thread, I thought I might simply have video hardware issue, as I've been using the motherboard video architecture since I built the computer, and have never added a new card.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/545141/cant-boot-goes-to-blinking-white-cursor-on-black-screen/?hl=+windows%20+black%20+screen%20+boot

#3 chrisbreyer

chrisbreyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:00 PM

Come to think of it, I have seen bad sector warnings with the system in the past few months on boot-up.  It would appear the issue is hardware, more than malware.  Perhaps booting from the windows installation disk is in order, and try to resolve in that way.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:37 AM

There's a high chance that the HDD will never work again if you have seen bad sector warnings for months. The warnings are to let you know to back up your data and replace your drive immediately.

You can double check using Ultimate Boot CD. Burn to CD and boot from it, run one or two of the drive diagnostics from the list... You will get your answer quickly.

TsVk!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:30 AM

FWIW:  Attempting to use advice/suggestions in a malware topic which is not your own...is not likely to be the intelligent thing to do.  The circumstances, systems, and other pertinent facts for a topic...tend to vary, making any comparison between topics fraught with the possibility of being erroneous.

The smart thing to do is initate a topic...and allow members to suggest/advise...based upon your own unique circumstances.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users