Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PSU & Video Card Questions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 errorx777

errorx777

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:59 PM

I have a custom build that was given to me as a graduation gift a year ago. great computer, but the psu was dying,i could tell because even when i cleaned it with a air compressor, it was extremely loud,sounded like a jumbo jet taking off. it was a cheap brand psu and was from 2009, so i wasnt too suprised. since then i havent gotten a new psu just because ive been busy. but now that im looking back into it, i have a few questions.

First off, here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.8ghz 12mb cache

Ram: 8gb ddr2 @ 800mhz

Hdd: 1tb WD 32mb cache 7200 rpm

Motherboard: Asus P5N7A-VM

PCI express x1 renesas usb 3.0 card

Linksys wireless-N PCI Adapter with Dual Band (Model # WMP600N)

and i plan on putting a good video card in for medium gaming (PCI express 2.0 x16)

First question, can i run this system on a 350w psu? id like the psu to be a maxiumum of 350w. i just prefer to save the electric bill lol,any links to a good 350w power supply?

Second question, id like a video card that doesnt require a power cable,i belive thats referred to as low profile? im not too sure. but i play all kinds of games fromminecraft all the way to gta iv and other power hungry games, so aslong as i can play on medium settings for modern games im good. and a quiet fan would be preffered of course,last video card i had (which i gave to a friend as a birthday gift) was a pny nvidia geforce 210 1gb ddr3. but id like something better than that.

Edited by errorx777, 15 September 2014 - 09:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:24 PM

Having a 350w PSU won't save you any electricity compared to a 500w PSU with a PC that requires a certain amount of power.  It depends more on the power supplies efficiency at a given load.

For example, say you have a cheap and inefficient 350w PSU and the components in the system at full load require 300 watts, and we'll assume that the power supply is operating at 75% efficiency at this point (think that's fairly typical on a cheap non 80+ rated PSU).  300 / .75 =  400.  It would be drawing approx 400 watts from the socket.  Note, that extra 100 watts is just wasted as heat which is exhausted out of the back of the PSU.

Now lets say you have a very good 500w PSU (80+ Gold rated) that is able to provide the 300w at 90% efficiency.  In this case the calculation would be 300 / .9 = 333.  It would be drawing approx 333 watts from the socket - 67 watts less than the inefficient 350w PSU.

So the efficiency of the PSU is important, and of course the amount of power your components actually require is the most important factor.  You gain nothing by running a small power supply too hard though.  Some further reading if you're interested - Debunking PSU myths

On to the second question, the only video card I know at the moment that could put in a reasonable performance in intense games without needing a PCIe connector is the Nvidia GTX 750 and GTX 750 Ti.  They are very power efficient for their performance.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 errorx777

errorx777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:02 AM

Ah. alright, thanks. However, the two video cards you recommended are pci express 3.0. i only have 2.0. & would this psu be good then? : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139049&cm_re=corsair_cx-_-17-139-049-_-Product

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:38 AM

You could have a 1000W PSU and if the components only require 400W, it would only use 400W.  In short, the PSU only draws as much power as it needs.  Is your computer case low profile or is it a standard mid-ATX case?  What sort of budget are you looking at in terms of the new graphics card?  Most newer higher-end cards do require a dedicated PCI-E power connector from the PSU, however, those are fairly common once you get past low wattage units.

3939.png

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:17 AM

Ah. alright, thanks. However, the two video cards you recommended are pci express 3.0. i only have 2.0. & would this psu be good then? : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139049&cm_re=corsair_cx-_-17-139-049-_-Product

PCIe 3.0 is backward compatible with PCIe 2.0, but the link between the two components will be limited to PCIe 2.0 x16 speeds.  I believe this makes little measurable difference in most cases.

The Corsair CX's are not the best available but they are far from the worst and they do achieve their claimed outputs with 80+ Bronze efficiency.  They are much better than a no name cheapo.  A decent low budget choice for a basic build IMO (and it has PCIe GPU power connectors should you need them).  DJBPaces questions about budget, case size etc. would be useful to know.

On a similar line to the PSU's only using what they need, a higher end graphics card like say, an R9-270X (which does need external PCIe power, and has 180w TDP) only uses maximum power when running intense 3D.  During less intensive rendering the power use is much less, and when just displaying a desktop it's power use is around 7 watts.

Edited by jonuk76, 16 September 2014 - 06:28 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:00 AM

First question, can i run this system on a 350w psu?

No!

Based on what you wrote, I advise you to get a video card that does need to be powered (or it's not going to be good enough), and I would go with a 600 watt power supply.

#7 errorx777

errorx777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:52 PM

Thank you all for your input. To answer some of those questions, for power supply id probably only spend $45-$60. Video card i might be willing to spend a little more on since i need to upgrade anyways. Perhaps a maximum of $120. Might be willing to push it up to $140 if i have to. As for my motherboard size, its a micro atx. however id like to upgrade the motherboard to a micro atx lga775 with ddr3 (instead of the ddr2 which i have). usb 3.0 would be nice but if there isn't one out there with that i always have my pci card with 2 usb 3.0 ports. i have been looking all around for a motherboard like this but the only ones i find are either out of stock or have both ddr2 with ddr3. i just want ddr3. preferably at 1600 mhz and can go up to ATLEAST 8gb. 16 gb would be nice for future upgrading.

As for the psu, i dont know it depends on if you all can help me find that new motherboard im looking for. budget for motherboard you ask? well hopefully under $120.

id like the psu to be around 450 watts. if it will run under that. of course it depends since i plan on getting a good video card and it will have 8gb ddr3 1600 ram.

Sorry for this being to lengthy, i haven't been on the computer in a little while so i tried to give you all more info.

Edited by errorx777, 17 September 2014 - 08:56 PM.

#8 errorx777

errorx777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:29 PM

Alright guys, honestly i might just make a new build. i posted a new forum about it entitled, "My Possible New Gaming Build?". If you happen to find that motherboard, let me know in this forum, ill still be checking up on this. But if you'd like to see my ideas for the new build, check out the other forum as mentioned. I appreciate all the help so far, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users