Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comcast Declares War on Tor?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:43 PM

Reports have surfaced (The first one was via /r/darknetmarkets and another one submitted to us) that Comcast agents have contacted customers using Tor and instructed them to stop using the browser or risk termination of service. A Comcast agent named Jeremy allegedly called Tor an “illegal service.” The Comcast agent told its customer that such activity is against usage policies.

Users who try to use anonymity, or cover themselves up on the internet, are usually doing things that aren’t so-to-speak legal. We have the right to terminate,   fine, or suspend your account at anytime due to you violating the rules. Do you have any other questions? Thank you for contacting Comcast, have a great day.

http://www.deepdotweb.com/2014/09/13/comcast-declares-war-tor/

Me thinks somebody is watching their customers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:50 PM

"Users who try to use anonymity, or cover themselves up on the internet, are usually doing things that arent so-to-speak legal. We have the right to terminate, fine, or suspend your account at anytime due to you violating the rules"

...That's so logical.

"People, who attempt to do things anonymously on the internet, are typically doing illegal things. So, we're just going to assume that a (Comcast) customer is doing illegal things if s/he is attempting to remain anonymous. Moreover, we're just going to end your Comcast membership based off of our assumption and sweeping generalization."

That's not abuse of power or irrational...

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:25 PM

In the interest of equal opportunity.

Comcast's response:

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/setting-the-record-straight-on-tor

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:39 PM

In the interest of equal opportunity.

Good point Animal.

Read more here.

But the latest accusation leveled against Comcast—that it is threatening to disconnect customers who use the anonymity-providing Tor browser—hasn't been backed by convincing evidence that it's happening. And Comcast dismisses the rumor as “wildly inaccurate.”

Comcast calls rumor that it disconnects Tor users “wildly inaccurate”

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:40 PM

Just goes to show that "it must be true, I read it on the internet".

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:04 PM

h_B529_CBE0.jpg

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:04 PM

Just goes to show that "it must be true, I read it on the internet".

Humorously, that could also apply to the webpage in the link that Animal provided.

In general, it seems too be all too frequent that companies amongst other entities claim one thing and do another thing that is opposite of the claim (or contradicts the claim.) With that said, I'm not asserting that Comcast is doing that; however, it is a possibility.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:46 AM

Comcast: (in a very demanding tone of voice) What webpages do you go to?

Me: (pretending to be a lady, using my very best Southern drawl, sounding sweet and innocent and clueless) Well, darlin', the Official Comcast Help Forum pages, my Comcast Account Pages, the Comcast online TV pages, Comcast Help and Support Pages, Bleeping Computer, my local newspaper web site every morning so I can look at the obituaries to see if my name is there and the Police Report to see if I got busted for something I don't remember doing, on Wednesday I look at the weekly ads for the grocery stores in my area, on Sunday the Target, Kmart, Best Buy and Sears ads, Lowe's and Home Depot to compare products and prices and jigzone. com when I want to waste time. Is that enough for you or do want more? OOPs, I forgot to mention Facebook because that's how I sometimes communicate with my friends who live in Spain, Puerto Rico, my niece in Turkey and my daughter-in-law in Bogota, Colombia.   I'm to cheap to pay for overseas phone calls. I'm also fond of recipe sites. I get coupons from Betty Crocker and Pillsbury sites.  Bless your heart, honey, why are do you want to know what I look at on the internet?

Hopefully the Comcast person will have no clue about the phrase BLESS YOUR HEART.

edit to add:

Users who try to use anonymity, or cover themselves up on the internet, are usually doing things that aren’t so-to-speak legal. We have the right to terminate, fine, or suspend your account at anytime due to you violating the rules. Do you have any other questions? Thank you for contacting Comcast, have a great day.

The rule, if it exists, is unwritten. It is not mentioned anywhere here http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/Policies/HighSpeedInternetAUP.html

Since it is not an OFFICIAL rule, clearly communicated to customers, it would not (if true) hold water.

The only thing anyone is required to do is comply with acceptable use policies and terms of service. This also applies to other providers/companies who have those things in place.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 16 September 2014 - 12:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users