Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ethernet port

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 kirstine98

kirstine98

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:11 PM

i am an idiot when it comes to computers, but i do understand the basics.  my ethernet port keeps going out.  it will work for a few

days or a week, then it wont.  it really getting on my freakin nerves.  can anyone give me advice??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:15 PM

Welcome,

You've stated the problem now, can you provide some detail? Do you reboot nightly? What are you doing when it goes out? Are we talking wire or wireless?

I know, all questions and no answers. Sorry, I just need to get a clearer picture of your problem

Thanks

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:16 PM

PC or laptop?

Have you tried switching wires?

If it's a PC with a bad built in Ethernet port, you can buy a PCI slot card for pocket change.

If it's a laptop, you can purchase a USB to Ethernet adapter for 10 bucks and change.

All is well in Paradise.

#4 kirstine98

kirstine98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:20 PM

its a brand new laptop. i do turn it off nightly and sometimes when i turn it off the ethernet is working.  then other times when i turn it back on, its not.  i dont get it.

i thought about the adapter, but this is a new laptop and it shouldnt be having issues.

#5 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:25 PM

Try changing the wire.

Ethernet wires are far from being tough.

When hooked up to a PC, they never move and last a long time, but when hooked up to a mobile device, they tend to break rather rapidly.

All is well in Paradise.

#6 kirstine98

kirstine98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:25 PM

oh... and it doesnt matter which cable i use.  it does the same thing.  i can get wireless, its just super slow.  there are two other people using it.  its just faster

when im connected.  thanks for the help.

#7 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:28 PM

Maybe both wires are bad.

All is well in Paradise.

#8 kirstine98

kirstine98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:16 PM

i dont think so.  one is brand new, like my laptop.  i dont know whats going on, but thank you for trying,

wish i was in the caribbean. yea!!!

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:32 PM

If both Ethernet cables have issues my next place to check would be the jack itself. Try another computer with the same cables. Are both locking clips on each end strong and not weak or broken off? If the test computer still acts the same with the same cables then you either have a set of bad cables or the Ethernet jack needs to be tested.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:53 PM

The thing is that a defective Ethernet port on a new laptop is so rare, that you have to consider the other possibilities.

There lots of ways to test it, like at a friend's house, or by getting another Ethernet cable.

It's not impossible for your Ethernet port to be damaged, but I'd have a hard time believing it.

All is well in Paradise.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:54 PM

kirstine98, Welcome to BC Forums! :)

Just one thing you may want to try doing, make sure the driver is installed for the Ethernet. There may be a optical disk with the driver or you may have to go to the OEM's site & download these. 

There is also a setting in the Device Manager that controls power to the port. Open the Control Panel, type in "device manager" w/out the quotes & you'll see all of the devices on your computer. If any has the yellow warning symbol, it needs attention. 

But there's one setting you need to check on your Ethernet while in the Device Manager. Under Network Adapters, will be both your wired & wireless connections. Right click onto the Ethernet one & select Properties. Click onto the Power Management tab. If the option "Allow the computer to turn this device off to save power" is checked, uncheck it & click OK. That may solve your issue. Sometimes, depending on Power Scheme, these things will drop out for no obvious reason, especially if the scheme is a Power Saving one. 

Then reboot & see if the issue persists or goes away. 

My advice is in addition to the members above, not a replacement for it. 

Best of Luck. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:55 PM

Deleted

Edited by NickAu1, 15 September 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:55 PM

@rockysosua I was referring to the Ethernet jack on the wall or floor possibly being defective or dirty. Not the computer RJ45 port.

@Nick She said: " i can get wireless, its just super slow. there are two other people using it. its just faster

when im connected."

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#14 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:36 PM

I may be out of line but with a new computer and all of this trouble I'd be looking at the warranty and trying to get the manufacturer to repair or replace the beast!

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:38 PM

I may be out of line but with a new computer and all of this trouble I'd be looking at the warranty and trying to get the manufacturer to repair or replace the beast!

Dick

+1! :thumbup2:

Whenever one has troubles with something new, no need of fiddling, return for a new one. 

And demand a new one, since you paid for one. Some will try to slide in a refurb or open box model. It's not like it's six months to a year old. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users