Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP on Vista wont boot up

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mikvineyard

mikvineyard

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:05 PM

I have an HP Vista computer that wont do anything.  I hear it doing a lot, but can't get the screen to do anything.  Don't have a bootup disk either.  Any help out there ??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikvineyard

mikvineyard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:25 PM

It seems like ti is trying to boot up, but it goes into a loop and doesn't actually do anything.  I have a separate computer that I can download things on a flash drive. 

Please help. 

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:29 PM

Hello,

What is the model number of the HP?

Do you see the HP logo when you boot the computer?

Can you access safe mode by pressing F8 at boot.

What OS does your other computer have?  Can you burn CD's or do you only have access to a USB flash drive?

Is there any important data on the Vista computer you need? 

If Vista cannot be repaired it may be possible to take it back to a factory state after recovering your important data if the HP recovery partition is still intact. All programs installed since purchase would have to reinstalled.

#4 mikvineyard

mikvineyard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:19 PM

I cant find a model # and it isn't booting up.  It just says HP Pavillion.  Its a 17" monitor its huge.

WHere can I find it.. I've looked on the back and the front

#5 mikvineyard

mikvineyard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:21 PM

I'm not getting anything when I boot up.  I can download a CD from my other computer no problem

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:27 PM

This is a desktop, correct? It could be on the bottom of the computer or on a small sticker on the back.

What is the OS on the other computer?

Is there important data that needs to be recovered off the hard drive?

Would you be willing to go back to a factory state if Vista cannot be repaired?

#7 mikvineyard

mikvineyard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:34 PM

OK..I found the original receipt.  HP Pavillion dv9201.  Sorry for the delay

#8 mikvineyard

mikvineyard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:36 PM

I'm going to start over and answer all your questions at once:

What is the model number of the HP? Pavillion dv9201

Do you see the HP logo when you boot the computer?  No

Can you access safe mode by pressing F8 at boot. No

What OS does your other computer have?  Can you burn CD's or do you only have access to a USB flash drive?  Windows 7, Yes on CD's

Is there any important data on the Vista computer you need? Would be great, but if we can't get it its fine. 

If Vista cannot be repaired it may be possible to take it back to a factory state after recovering your important data if the HP recovery partition is still intact. All programs installed since purchase would have to reinstalled.  That's fine. 

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks again.  Sorry for the mass of messages. 

#9 mikvineyard

mikvineyard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:46 PM

It isn't a desktop, its a laptop 17". 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:49 PM

No Problem,

The first thing you should do is download PartedMagic. This is a linux CD that will run in ram and or off the CD. Burn the iso file you download by right clicking in Windows 7 and select burn image. Boot the disk on the Vista computer. Double click File Manager on the Parted Magic Desktop. You should be able to see your hard drive. Attach a USB flash drive or external drive to the computer. You should now see this in file manager. You can copy and paste your files from the Vista computer to the flash drive or external drive. File Manager uses tabs so you can progress back and forth between the Flash drive and the Vista Hard drive.  You should get the hang of it after playing with it for awhile. If you have any questions just post them and I will try to answer. It is getting late here so I will be off until tomorrow.

Here are some screenshots of Parted Magic. I linked to the last free version. The lastest version is $5.

#11 mikvineyard

mikvineyard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:58 PM

Thanks I will see what I can do.

#12 mikvineyard

mikvineyard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:09 PM

Hey John, sorry it has been a couple of days since I got back to you.  I tried to save that file, but I ended up going through several CD/DVD's and kept getting a burn error.  Is there any way to re-use those and try again ??   I'm not sure what the problem was.  I'm really not an idiot, it just seems that way. Work has been really busy and stayed up really late trying to get it working and finally gave up.  Been slaving at the office, but need to try and get it working.  Thanks for your help. 

Edited by mikvineyard, 18 September 2014 - 04:10 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:22 PM

If you have a USB flash drive you can use the iso file and Rufus to create a bootable flash drive. Opt out of any update check. Select MBR as the partition scheme and iso image in the dropdown  box. Click the folder and browse to the iso file. Press start. Any data on the the flash drive will be gone. Make sure USB is the first boot device. Attach the flash drive. Boot the computer. I believe if you tap the F9 key you will get a boot menu where you can select the USB flash drive. No, you cannot reuse the burned disks. It's possible the optical drive is defective or your iso download was corrupted.

If you tap F11 at boot, you should get the HP recovery manager. It should let you do a System Restore if you have any restore points available. Don't do a factory reset until you backup the files you want.

See Starting a recovery from the hard drive here. The screens in the previous section called Starting a Recovery from the Vista Desktop should be the same.  Select Yes instead of No when it asks to do a System Restore, Hopefully you still have the Recovery Partition.

#14 mikvineyard

mikvineyard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:59 PM

I will work on it over the weekend.  Thanks. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users