Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will Not Boot, or POST. Monitor has no input signal.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 todamax15

todamax15

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:36 PM

This started when my monitor began to have scribbly swiggly lines and then windows would crash, followed with a BSOD (attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed) with a 0x00000116 stop code, and nvlddmkm.sys.

Every time I logged to windows, this would happen again within 10-20 minutes.

I tried updating my nvidia driver, no luck. Tried reverting back to an older nvidia driver, no luck. Same thing happens.

Boots into safe mode, no problem, but eventually even safe mode began showing swiggly lines in the background, but it doesn’t crash, and I could still navigate everything fine. So I backed up everything there. Due to problems of getting the safe mode prompt to come up, I ended up making it boot to safe mode by default from the control panels boot option.

I decided to disconnect and reconnect my video card, and also ram, dust out the insides, reconnecting everything to see if it helps. And install display driver uninstaller if I was able to boot back in to wipe out any residual drivers if that might be the cause.

However, after I reconnecting everything, the computer now won’t even boot or POST. It doesn’t beep when I turn it on. It powers on fine, all the fans spin. PSU, CPU and video card fan works. My monitor has no input signal and goes to standby. Mouse and keyboard connected. Tested my monitor in two other computers, it works fine. Temperature indicator on my case are all normal.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Mobo: Asus P5k-SE deluxe

CPU: Intel E8500, 3.16ghz not overclocked.

GPU: Nvidia Geforce 9800gt, 512mb DDR3, on PCI 2.0 X16, not overclocked.

PSU: Corsair 500W

Ram: 256mb X 2 DDR2 (forgot what it is). But are identical.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:46 PM

It's the ram.

Try with just one stick and if that doesn't work, try it in another slot.

If you have contact cleaner or alcohol to clean the contacts, both on the ram itself and the slots, that'll be worth it's weight in gold.

Naturally, there's always a chance that it's something else that is not properly seated, so you can check the GPU and the main 24 pin connector to the mobo.

PS: Please double check your ram sizes. Surely you have more than two 256 meg sticks.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:37 PM

rockysosua is correct: the first thing to check is the RAM

The minimum RAM recommended by MSFT is 2 GB for Windows 7 64-bit

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/system-requirements

--- Since you have only 512MB RAM, it makes me wonder whether or not this computer is an XP or Vista computer upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit. Is that the case?

--- Has the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20 been run?

IMHO even at 2GB RAM, since that's the minimum requirement that will result in a 64-bit system with minimum performance

--- You can start off with the minimum 2GB to at least get the computer up and running but I believe it's worth upgrading to 4GB RAM

That said, if the computer is an upgrade to Windows 7, there could also be other issues and that's what makes it worth it to run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor for starters once you get the computer up and running

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:32 AM

You probably didn't plug everything back in. Check for loose things. If everything is plugged back in and your ram is ok, then your video card is dead. IMO.

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:28 AM

Another excellent idea to double check connections.

Have you tried removing the video card and booting only with VGA?

As mentioned, there could be an issue with the video card

At the same time, if you really have only 512MB RAM, that's a major issue

Even though you might have other issues with the computer, not having enough RAM is a hindrance in troubleshooting other issues well

#6 todamax15

todamax15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the replies.

My mistake, I have 4 gb ram. 2 X 2.

I have no onboard video, so I would really need to get another video card before I could experiment. Though I do want to be more sure it might be the video card before I get a new one to test it out.

Question is, if my video card has failed like some mentioned, would it cause the computer itself to not boot or post? Rather than just it having no display?

Will try to double check my connections again, and try the other DVI port on my card in case its one of them failing.

#7 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:34 PM

Have you re-seated the ram yet?

That's the most likely culprit, and if it's not the ram, you have to start thinking in terms of a blown mobo.

All is well in Paradise.

#8 todamax15

todamax15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:45 PM

Will definitely check my ram sticks when I get home, since the rams and the gpu are the only components I have removed when cleaning.

Edited by todamax15, 16 September 2014 - 05:45 PM.

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:51 PM

"It doesn’t beep when I turn it on" Yes double check your connections ram & gpu components

--- It beeped and booted up before but now it doesn't

When you get to boot it back up, run dxdiag; I don't know whether or not all versions do so, but it's possible there are video tests it will run

Did you create a Windows 7 restore disc?

If not you can create one even if it's on someone else's computer as long as its the same Windows 7 version and 64-bit

--- I imagine you have the original install disc and that you know the 25 character product key

It might not be the video driver but it could be the chipset driver

--- Others with more experience than me in this area could probably help you research that

When you get to boot back up, check device manager and look for yellow or red markers and let us know what they are for if that's happening

Also do you have the manual for your motherboard which would help you troubleshoot?

#10 todamax15

todamax15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:26 PM

"It doesn’t beep when I turn it on" Yes double check your connections ram & gpu components

--- It beeped and booted up before but now it doesn't

Would the gpu itself having any effect on the computer being able to post and boot though?

And I do recall now when I was taking out my gpu, the latch on my pci port got stuck as I gently pulled out my gpu, making a slight curvy bend on my mobo and my gpu was stucked half way out, before I was able to unlatch to pull it out. Though it was pretty gentle. Could that have damage the mobo? How much abuse could it take? I would think it would be at least slightly flexible.

And I do have a windows 7 disc, and have already backed up everything when I was able to logged into safe mode.

I have also checked the device manager in the duration I was in normal mode, before it froze, everything checked out.

Below if my BSOD screen before this whole thing happened.

Attached File  BSOD.jpg   259.84KB   0 downloads

#11 todamax15

todamax15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:31 PM

More Screenshots.

Command Prompt, and Normal Mode desktop right before freezing, and then BSOD.

Attached File  156.jpg   211.86KB   0 downloads

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:14 PM

"Would the gpu itself having any effect on the computer being able to post and boot though?"

--- I can't say for sure as I've never seen a situation like that

"And I do recall now when I was taking out my gpu, the latch on my pci port got stuck as I gently pulled out my gpu, making a slight curvy bend on my mobo and my gpu was stucked half way out, before I was able to unlatch to pull it out. Though it was pretty gentle. Could that have damage the mobo? How much abuse could it take? I would think it would be at least slightly flexible"

--- Repeat what you did as gently as possible

I haven't had to deal with a slight curve on a mobo but we'll have to leave it in as a factor

I would also consider as essentially has been recommended: remove one of the memory chips and leave it out; make sure the other is in properly. If the problem persists, move that memory chip to the other bank and check the results.

Repeat the same procedure with the other memory chip

I would also replace the CMOS battery just in case it's a factor

When you finally get to boot up, see if the computer time is ok

It's good you have the install disc but I would still create a system repair disc if at all possible start out by using it before the install disc

#13 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:23 PM

Any component that is improperly seated/connected, can and will prevent a computer from booting.

A damaged component can short out an entire system too, but we're putting the cart ahead of the horse.

It's time to reseat the ram and the GPU to see if that cures the problem.

The if's and and's beyond that are so numerous, that I can truly type away here for ten years and still have only conveyed a portion of what I know (sorry if that sounds arrogant).

I'm hoping you will try the things that are suggested to you and as soon as you've posted the results, there will be more to come if the reseating didn't do the job.

All is well in Paradise.

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:12 AM

When you double check the reseating also checked other connections

Maybe some other connection was affected when checking out what you did; I can speak from experience on that idea

I don't recall what it was for, but one time I noticed a wire that connected to a couple of pins on the motherboard was an issue for whatever reason; the way I found out was I had to double check all connections due to similar activity you mentioned; and it was when I reseated that particular wire, everything booted back up properly and everything returned to normal

But be very careful so you will know how to properly reconnect anything being checked out

#15 todamax15

todamax15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:02 PM

Thanks guys! Finally got around to it, reseated my ram sticks and gpu, and it booted right back up. It was likely the ram as when I took it out, the side levers on one of the slots weren't snapped in properly to the ram stick. You were right Rockysosua.

Now to my original problem, screen is filled with checkered board and swiggly line patterns, even  before I booted up to windows. In safe mode, the screen is filled with swiggly lines as well. Does this pretty much mean my video card is done for? Or could this still be a software issue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users