Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Router or Range Extender

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dman127

dman127

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:05 PM

Would like some opinions on this:

Ranch house with basement - older house

Modem and router in basement

Xfinity (new install)

Netgear N Duo Band Router about 4 years old (2.4 and 5)

I get a weak signal upstairs and looking for a solution. Am I better off with a new ac router or some type of range extender? Will be getting the new iphones which are ac. All other ipads and laptops older, so the new ac won't be beneficial for them. 

Done some research on routers, etc. but nothing conclusive as to the best way to do this. Just interested on how to get a stronger signal upstairs. Thanks in advance for your help. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:11 PM

I use one of these 300Mbps Wi-Fi Range Extender, AV500 Powerline Edition TL-WPA4220KIT  I have been using it for a month now without problems.

TP-LINK’s TL-WPA4220KIT extends your Internet connection to every room of the house through your home’s existing electrical circuitry.

PS

:welcome:  To BC.

Edited by NickAu1, 15 September 2014 - 05:13 PM.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:29 PM

Is the Comcast a modem/router? If yes, do you get signal from it upstairs? 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:36 PM

Just move the router upstairs.  Problem solved.

#5 dman127

dman127
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:41 AM

Is the Comcast a modem/router? If yes, do you get signal from it upstairs? 

Yes, Comcast provided the modem. The router is mine. We do get a signal upstairs, but it is weak.

Just move the router upstairs.  Problem solved.

Probably should have mentioned this: my home office is in the basement. So moving the router upstairs would just reverse the problem.

#6 dman127

dman127
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:42 AM

I use one of these 300Mbps Wi-Fi Range Extender, AV500 Powerline Edition TL-WPA4220KIT  I have been using it for a month now without problems.

TP-LINK’s TL-WPA4220KIT extends your Internet connection to every room of the house through your home’s existing electrical circuitry.

PS

:welcome:  To BC.

Thanks for the welcome and the recommendation - I will take a look at that

#7 dman127

dman127
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:46 AM

Maybe the helps clarify my question: I was prepared to purchase some type of range extender. While researching, some router descriptions tout a stronger signal throughout the house. Is this true? Wondering if this would mitigate the need for a range extender. Would I be better off with a new router capable of the new ac designation? Ordered the iphone 6 which accepts ac. 

#8 dman127

dman127
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:54 AM

Just move the router upstairs.  Problem solved

I moved the router to a different spot in the home office. Away from the modem. Early testing is showing a stronger signal and better connection upstairs. Will live with this for a week before deciding if a new router or range extender is worth the investment. 

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:38 PM

A new router may or may not solve your issue, if it is placed in the same spot as the old one. If it doesn't you can turn your old one into a repeater fairly easy. A range extender might be far less expensive than a new router. 

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,271 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:31 PM

I am a newbie but I have researched routers, and it is of my opinion that you can get one that will be far better than what you have that should give you strong wifi all over your house.  You can read the feedback at many sites to see others experiences.  It may be even possible to expand the range on yours, I thought I remember reading about this on some routers.

Edited by pcpunk, 16 September 2014 - 11:33 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:27 AM

When it comes to WiFi....there is nothing set in stone. What you said should be true pcpunk but it doesn't always work that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users