Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM, add more, yes or no

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MasseyMan65560

MasseyMan65560

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:05 PM

So I was able to narrow down my last problem with help from here so I got another question.

Right now I have 6GB RAM, I want to add more. Would I notice a difference in performance in upgrading by adding more. Not looking to add super hyper juiced up RAM, just regular ole RAM..
I was thinking of adding 8GB would this be smart to have mixed RAM
2 x 2GB and 2 x 4GB
And how would I want to seat it..
Right now I'm running 2/2/2/0 or 0/2/2/2 not sure on which slot is 1 and which is 4..

I don't play high end end games but I do sometimes run many tasks at a time. Like I might have steam open in background, might be on web browser and burning DVDs..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,395 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:34 PM

Everything you listed as a system acivity...is routine for a system with 4GB of RAM, IMO.

I don't game so I can't comment on high-end games and RAM...but I always thought that the video RAM would be the key element in those situations, rather than the system RAM.  Unless you have an old motherboard employing system RAM for video...system RAM should not be a major consideration in my uneducated opinion.

Louis

#3 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:34 AM

It depends on the specs of your machine, on what the bottleneck is. On a slower machine, more than 6 gigs won't show much improvement imo, and in terms of system speed improvement, the money is better spent on the bottleneck (the slowest thing in the computer, potentially the cpu, or the video card, or hard drive.)

The ram slots come in pairs (usually 1 and 3, 2 and 4), labelled like A1 B1 A2 B2, that sort of thing - sometimes they are color coded. Ideally you want to have matching ram chips in those paired slots (likely 2/4/2/4). Mixing ram is fine, but I believe that all of the ram will run as slowly as the slowest ram you have (this has to do with transmission speeds or whatever they call it. More ram still = faster performance in large tasks though because there's more space).

I have 8 gigs of ram, and the #1 thing that would make my computer faster is getting an SSD for c drive. Not more ram.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users