Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shortcuts from "All Users" not showing in the start menu

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 rijackson741

rijackson741

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:11 PM

The problem: All the shortcuts from “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs” have disappeared from my start menu. The ones from C:\Documents and Settings\<current user>\Start Menu\Programs are still shown.

I have spent the weekend trying to fix this, to no avail, so hopefully someone can give me some new ideas.

I’m running XP SP3 on a Toshiba laptop. I can’t be sure exactly when this happened, but I noticed it on Friday, and I am 100% certain this problem did not exist the previous weekend. In that period of time the only software installs were an update for Keepass and an update for Mathcad. It is possible that something else notified me an update was available and I just installed it without thinking about it, but if so it would only be something like Java or Adobe flash.

If I go to “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs” the shortcuts are all there, and they are not hidden, they just don’t appear on the start menu.

The obvious way to fix this was to just roll back to a recent restore point where the problem does not exist. Unfortunately, I could not get any restore point to work, even when doing the restore entirely in safe mode (i.e. start the restore in safe mode, and finish it in safe mode). After a lot of messing around I came to the conclusion that the restore point cache was corrupted. I confirmed that by turning System Restore off and back on to clear the cache. Sure enough, I can now create a restore point and restore it with no problems (even when not in safe mode, with Norton AV running), but of course it means I can’t fix the start menu by restoring to an earlier date.

Neither Norton AV nor Malwarebytes turn up any sign of malware (other than a few tracking cookies, anyway).

I ran chkdsk, and it shows no errors.

A possibly useful piece of information is that when I installed Tweaking.com (which unfortunately does not have a fix for this problem :() for all users I get the error “Could not create uninstall shortcut \Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Uninstall Tweaking.com  - Windows Repair (All in One)". If I look in “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs” no new folder or shortcut was created. I can create one manually though. So maybe it’s some sort of permissions problem? I have checked that nothing messed with the account permissions, and sure enough I still have full admin rights, and I can make changes to the shortcuts.

I found a MS hotfix that looked lie it might be helpful, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941248, because I thought it might force a start menu fix. However, it just throws the error “Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of the system is newer than the update you are applying. There is no need to install this update.” So much for that idea!

I ran the System File Checker with “sfc /scannow” from the command prompt. It didn’t turn up anything.

Based on this site: http://bcrawfordjr.wordpress.com/2007/06/21/programs-menu-for-all-users-profile-is-missing-from-the-start-menu-start-menu/ I launched the group policy editor and looked under “User Configuration”, “Administrative Templates”. There is no entry for “Start Menu and Taskbar”. I thought that maybe I could force a fix using the information from this site though, so I added the two suggested keys to the registry, and double checked they were correct using regedit. They didn’t make any difference. They are still there, so perhaps since they were not a solution I should remove them?

That’s everything I can think of. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:18 PM

Move them to the start folder in C:\Documents and Settings\<current user>\Start Menu\Programs

#3 rijackson741

rijackson741
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:22 PM

Thanks for your reply. I realize I can do that, but it only fixes the symptom, not the problem. It is my fall back position, but if I can fix the unlderlying problem I would prefer to do that.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:28 PM

Did this just start happening? If so, What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

Try logging in as a different user - does the same thing happen?

BTW, as for system restore, it's great - when it works. Unfortunately, it often fails when needed most. I keep it disabled on all systems and use disc imaging instead. Just something you might want to consider in the future.

#5 rijackson741

rijackson741
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:43 PM

Did this just start happening? If so, What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

Try logging in as a different user - does the same thing happen?

BTW, as for system restore, it's great - when it works. Unfortunately, it often fails when needed most. I keep it disabled on all systems and use disc imaging instead. Just something you might want to consider in the future.

Yes, as I said in my original post, it's very recent (within the last week, for sure, and probably late last week). During that time the only installs were updates to a couple of reputable prrograms. No hardware changes. No malware detected, even after running full system scans with both Norton AV and Malwarebytes, no errors (at least, none I was notified of. I checked the event log and didn't see anything interesting, but I'll check it again), chkdsk ran fine, sfc /scannow ran fine.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by rijackson741, 15 September 2014 - 05:44 PM.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:02 AM

Did you try logging in as a different user (as suggested above)? How about safe mode?

#7 rijackson741

rijackson741
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:40 AM

If I run in safe mode I see the same thing. I also logged in as Administrator in safe mode (strangely, the Administrator account only shows when I boot into safe mode), and I see the same thing there as well.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:58 AM

Well, only two other things I can think of and while it's a long shot that they will help, they cant do any harm.

1) Take ownership of the folder(s) in "all users" and reboot (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421)

2) Right-click on the start menu and choose Properties - start menu - customize - advanced tab. Scroll down to the last item (System Administrative Tools). Check "display on all programs menu and start menu". Yeah, I know it doesn't make sense, but for some reason I've seen some very strange things happen in the start menu when different options are selected for showing administrative tools. As I said, it probably won't do anything but it can't hurt.

Other than that, you can always create a new user account with admin privileges and use that instead of the main admin account. At the very least, you can test to see if everything works normally in a new account.

#9 rijackson741

rijackson741
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:24 PM

Good suggestions. Unfortunately, they didn't lead to success. Taking ownership made no difference. If I choose "display on all programs menu and start menu" for the system administrative tools that also does not fix it. Strangely, the administrative tools from the start menu display fine, but the administrative tools folder under all programs is empty. Not that I care much, because I normally access it from the control panel, but it is strange.

I did also try creating a new user account, but that account also has the problem.

I really don't want to reinstall the OS, so the fallback position is looking like it might be the only viable option :( .

Thanks for the help.

Edited by rijackson741, 16 September 2014 - 01:26 PM.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:47 PM

The empty administrative tools folder is not all that unusual. See: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/admintools.htm

As for the other - I just don't know. Moving forward, I urge you to start using disc imaging (on a regular basis). You'll always have a safe haven to which you can return and problems such as the one you are having will not be an issue.

#11 rijackson741

rijackson741
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:37 PM

Thanks for the tip about the administrative tools folder. Seems like an easy thing to fix.

I actually do image the disk regularly. Just not frequently :rolleyes:  I do backup all data frequently, but I guess I'll make the disk imaging a more frequent part of my backup regimen.

Thanks for the help.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:44 PM

You're welcome. Wish we could have figured out the problem you came here for.

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:06 PM

Hi, do you mean a shortcut for the path of all users in start menu only or maybe I'm missing somethin else? :)

https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/win_start_additems_howto.mspx?mfr=true

Tekken

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:44 AM

The OP means that shortcuts in the start menu located in the "all users" folder do not appear in the start menu of the OS while shortcuts in the start menu for the specific user do.

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:01 PM

If I go to “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs” the shortcuts are all there, and they are not hidden, they just don’t appear on the start menu.

Do you see 'explore all users' when right-clicking the start menu?

The OP means that shortcuts in the start menu located in the "all users" folder do not appear in the start menu of the OS while shortcuts in the start menu for the specific user do.

I knew I was missing something... :grinner:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users