Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Use portable or installed SuperAntiSpyware?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dirkk

Dirkk

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:39 PM

Could I use the portable version - http://www.superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html - of SuperAntiSpyware or is there a drawback compared to the installed version?

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:22 PM

SuperAntiSpyware Free is offered both as an installer and portable version. The two versions are almost identical in features. The main difference is that the portable version can be used to scan immediately after download and that it keeps everything in memory. The portable scanner is available in two versions, the SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner Personal Edition (free for personal use) and the SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner Technicians Edition which requires a license. The portable version is especially useful for those that want to scan and remove threats when malware blocks the installation of SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition or other security tools. It downloads with a randomized name (i.e. SAS_0788744.EXE) which helps prevent malware from blocking it by name.

...SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner Personal Edition. The scanner features our complete scanning and removal engine and will detect AND remove over 1,000,000 spyware/malware infections. The scanner is the same as our SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition with pre-bundled definitions and a random named installer to prevent malware from blocking the installation. The scanner contains the latest definitions so you DO NOT need Internet access on the infected system to scan.

SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner License Terms
SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner Download

Note: The Portable version does not install itself into Program Files but it does create a new folder when run in order to store logs and quarantine sub-folders.
-- XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\SUPERAntiSpyware
-- Vista, Windows 7/8: C:\ProgramData\SUPERAntiSpyware
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:06 AM

Thank you very much, Bleepin' Janitor,

So I just can use the portable free version, I assume. When I reinstall Win I only would have to copy the portable version to the new drive and it would work, all my settings would be kept. The folder created by SuperAnti on C: (with logs and may be quaranted objects) I then just could left there, I think.

It's a pity, there is no portable version of  Malwarebytes offered.

It somehow looks like the installer version (nothing mentioned of a portable version), but it is the one of the right link:

http://i.imgur.com/xsc2TKT.png

http://i.imgur.com/Hoi3eNI.png

SAS offers such none simpatico options: http://i.imgur.com/qxBSypL.png

Many thanks also for the links.

Edited by Dirkk, 16 September 2014 - 05:18 AM.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:28 AM

You're welcome.

SUPERAntiSpyware Free installs Google Chrome as an option by default if is not declined during installation. This is a common practice with many anti-virus and security vendors as a way to "pay per install" and recoup associated business costs. This typically is the reason for the pre-checked option. If pre-checked by default, that means you need to uncheck that option during installation if you don't want it. If you install too fast, you most likely will miss the "opt out" option and end up with software you do not want or need. The best practice is to take your time during installation of any program and read everything before clicking that "Install" or "Next" button.

If you did not uncheck the option and installed Google Chrome by mistake, it can be easily uninstalled via Add/Remove Programs in XP or Programs and Features for those using Windows 7/8. Just remember when you go to update the program after a new version release, to uncheck that option as it may be offered again.

BTW...there is also a SUPERAntiSpyware Online Safe Scan.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:54 AM

Alright, I understand and yes, take the time you need for the installation. Thank you very much for the very useful explanations. And also thanks for the link to the online scanner.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:13 PM

You're welcome.