Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory stick problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jamesmlb

jamesmlb

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:38 PM

Hi, I have two 8GB flash drives / memory sticks - let's call them A and B - which I've been using over the last few days. A has personal / home documents and is 60% full, B has a few work documents (about 5% full).

However (since today), when I insert drive A, the list of files that invariably comes up is (somehow) the list from B, although obviously if I try to open any of these 'B' files I just get an error message.

The 'A' files are still on the drive because when I do a 'Search' for named files they will appear and I can open them. However, I do not get a record of these (several hundred) documents when I stick in the flash drive. Instead it tells me what's on my other memory stick - Drive B.

I have tried inserting other memory sticks and the correct contents show up immediately - it is clearly a problem with memory stick A. Any thoughts / ideas? Many thanks in anticipation!

(Using Windows 8 btw)

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 15 September 2014 - 06:31 PM.
Moved to external hardware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,929 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:41 PM

Did you ever have the computer go to Hibernate while one of the flash drives was attached? Reboot the computer and try again.

See this thread

#3 jamesmlb

jamesmlb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:24 AM

Thanks, John, much appreciated  - yes, laptop actually ran out of battery and shut down while Drive B was inserted. I can well see that may have caused the problem.

Rebooting now  makes no difference. Memory Stick A and B both display identical list of contents although contents are clearly different. Haven't 'lost' any files or data from A, so is GDB (as suggested by hardforum thread) relevant?

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:54 AM

Take both the sticks to another computer, copy all the contents off them into 2 folders. Format each stick, move the files you want back to whichever stick. Should do it.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,929 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:20 AM

No need for GBD. You are fortunate in that you can still access the files. I would do as bludshot suggested.

#6 jamesmlb

jamesmlb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:34 AM

Thank-you, bludshot and John - I suspected the solution would be simple.

I have done the first stage - copied the contents of the one memory stick (the contents list of which has become hidden/overwritten) into a new folder in my D drive.

However, what I get (unsurprisingly, I guess) is an identical copy of the same problem ... correct files, wrong list of contents. Will copying them back onto a re-formatted USB (or a new one) solve this problem? Or just reproduce it? Apologies if I'm being dense.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,929 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:48 AM

I think if you copied them over you would be producing the same problem. If you do it, copy to a new flash drive. Is it possible to open each file and save them as a different name to another folder adding a suffix letter to the end of the filename. Does that solve the problem?

#8 jamesmlb

jamesmlb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:06 AM

Thanks, John. A lot of the files are family photos etc - I have about 3,000! So opening / renaming would be laborious to say the least. If I know that there's a file called 'xmas2000g' for example I can locate it but of course I don't know what all my files are called.

The files are 'there' under their original name but 'under cover' so to speak - I am just seeking a reasonably fast way to recover the original list of contents which has been overwritten by the 'wrong'  list from my other flash drive: replace the wrong list with the correct list, so to speak. 

You'd think there would be an easy way. Thanks for giving it some thought, anyway!

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,929 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:24 AM

I think the option at this point is to use software like GDB if it will let you scan the Flash drive and recover the files with their orginal names. I know Easeus Data Recovery will do this. It will let you recover 1GB for free in order for you to determine if it works i.e. recovers files with the filename intact. If it does, then you would need to pay and get a registration key to recover the rest. I believe somebody on the forum paid about $40 when they called Easeus for the key.

Another software solution that is similar is active@filerecovery which is a little cheaper. The Pro version is $35 with the promo code. But, it will only let you recover 64kb for free. It will let you scan and see if it can find your original file names.

GDB would be Getdataback Simple which works for NTFS and FAT. You can give that a try also. But, it costs $79

#10 jamesmlb

jamesmlb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:43 AM

Sorted ... have discovered that by typing  'a', 'b' etc into 'Search' on the F drive I can call up a list of all the 'hidden' files beginning with that letter. Then copy and paste into a new folder on my local drive (then copy back onto memory stick if necessary). 26 operations (one for each letter) but better than thousands!

Thank-you however for technical advice ... as often happens just engaging in dialogue with someone else yields a solution. Luckily the (costly-ish) options that you have suggested will not be necessary in this instance but many many thanks for your expertise.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,929 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:55 AM

That was a nice solve. Thanks for the update.

Edit: I don't believe many people realize that having an external device attached during hibernation can cause big problems.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 September 2014 - 09:57 AM.

#12 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:24 AM

Edit: I don't believe many people realize that having an external device attached during hibernation can cause big problems.

I believe there is a way to remove this problem, you go into the settings of the drive, and make it so it doesn't have caching turned on - or something like that - so that windows closes the connection to the drive every time its not in use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users