Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden Strange Quirk

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kapakris

kapakris

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:09 PM

My system is operating with Windows Vista.

It has been working well with the occasional help from you folks. :thumbup2:  Just yesterday something odd has happened and I cannot fix it.

The gadgets on the right side of the screen are acting odd. Specifically, I suddenly have a number of the same one showing inexplicably. The daily calendar is showing. There are 6 up currently (with many more hidden). If I try to close one, I believe one closes (checking through the control panel, there are actually many opened) but then when I click anywhere on the screen with the mouse, I hear a beep from my hard drive and then neither the mouse nor the keyboard works. I have to do a hard restart.

I went to the control panel and tried to close them as well. I may have closed a few (there are so many opened, it is hard to say if any closed) but then again the mouse and keyboard froze.

This initially happened when my son (12yrs) was on the computer. He simply clicked on the internet explorer symbol and multiple screens were opening. In fact they wouldn't stop opening; I had to shut it off at that point as well. Before that, things were working fine.

The other bit of info that may or may not help:  I have a wireless mouse and keyboard. My other son's laptop is having trouble with its keys on the key board, so he used my keyboard, mouse and the usb insert that allows for the mouse and keyboard to interact with the system. Could something have come from the usb insert after being in his computer?

Thanks. I am worried that this is the beginning of something bad, and would rather act now before it gets out of hand.

You guys are awesome.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kapakris

kapakris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:16 PM

Also,

Wanted to mention that I just ran a Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan. I updated it right before I ran it. I noticed that it said that the root-kits were disabled. I am not sure if that is typical or if it is a sign. I had to run Malwarebytes twice because it froze up the first time I ran it.

Here are the results:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 9/15/2014
Scan Time: 3:53:19 PM
Logfile:
Administrator: No

Version: 2.00.2.1012
Malware Database: v2014.09.15.09
Rootkit Database: v2014.09.15.01
License: Trial
Malware Protection: Enabled