Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Refurbished laptop,I know nothing!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:11 PM

Hey Everyone

When it was time to go from XP to Win & you all helped me & the best choice for me was a reburbished desk top computer ....I followed your suggestions & got a great deal & was very happy with my product & now I would like some help with getting a reburbished laptop.......my needs are minimal & my knowledge is even less-lol    The reason I want a laptop is because I may be moving & until I have a permanent residence I will not have access to the internet by my cable company.......I don't even know how a laptop works ,does it just use the wi-fi like my cell phone does?

I am not a gamer,I go on 2 websites & do some googling.................lots of emails,I saw some HP refurbished notebooks with Win 7   64bit for $200. & even less.......is a notebook a laptop?Can I get some advice what to look for ......I may be a month in a motel & want to stay in touch with my contacts everyday.....what do I need

I appreciate any help you can offer,I am totally clueless.....

Gratefully,Kwik

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:22 PM

So, you just need a mobile solution?  You might want to look at a tablet.  When I travel I use a tablet to access the Internet and read my e-mail.  Tablets are great consumption devices, so browsing the web and reading e-mail work well on them.  If you need to type long replies they work, but aren't great.

#3 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:33 PM

Notebooks kind of fall under laptops, most of the time a notebook is lighter/smaller and is mainly for people who don't need a lot of power/processing. Laptops do need wifi to connect to the internet, but I think you are referring to 3G/4G that your phone uses. Unless you have internet service and a router to provide a wifi signal, you will not be able to use the internet. You said you will not have cable, so you could use it at places like McDonalds (anywhere with free wifi) and Starbucks. You could also tether your phone and connect your laptop to that, but that normally costs extra and would use a lot more data on your phone plan.
Regarding what laptop to get, a Chromebook sounds perfect for what you do, they are small and lightweight, but do not come with Windows, they use ChromeOS and are almost specifically for web browsing.
Here is a nice Chromebook (in my opinion) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131778 for $300
Here is an Asus notebook http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231686 for only $240
If you have any kind of specifics you want then you can narrow down the search.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#4 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:56 PM

Hmmm,so does a tablet work the same way,,,,,McDonalds,starbucks etc......?    How do you get wi-fi service if you are mobile? I think I am a little confused..........but to my understanding the phone does the wi-fi thing because I pay for it,right?I would love a laptop type thing that when I am no longer mobile I could use anywhere  in the house instead of being stuck at the desk.......would it have to have a cord like the desk top?       As you can see ,I wasn't kidding when I said "I know nothing"-lol     But I know I am in the right place,that much I do know,,,,,

That chrome notebook sure looks nice,so thats for wi-fi only? How complicated is chrome os? Can I puht malwarebytes,& all my spyware & security on it llike on my Windows?

OOH,I think I like that Asus even better!!!!(only can't change battery,,,,thats probably bad,huh?)

Edited by newbleeping, 15 September 2014 - 04:09 PM.

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:27 PM

Can I puht malwarebytes,& all my spyware & security on it llike on my Windows?

Chrome OS is an operating system based on the Linux kernel and designed by Google, Anti virus on a chromebook isn't  required. 

If you can find a security hole, we'll pay you for it (and fix it).  http://www.chromium.org/Home/chromium-security/vulnerability-rewards-program

How complicated is chrome os?

As it's target market is people like you (novice pc users) you will find it is easy to use.

Edited by NickAu1, 15 September 2014 - 05:41 PM.

#6 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:28 PM

Really? Do you think that would work best for what I want?

#7 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:29 AM

hey Nick,,,,,,

Thanks so much for answering each of my questions & also thanks to Aerys ,for providing me with the external links & the suggestion......I think I will go with the Chromebook.......& Nick,you do know what a novice I am as you have helped me out so many times.......so I trust & value your advice

Since you live in Australia,perhaps you can help me with some info......Nick ,I heard about the USB kit for the Optus Network,,,,,,I understand(I think I do?-lol) that this makes a way to change your cable internet to wi-fi,to become mobile somehow?   Is anything like that available in America(Florida) ,,,,,how does that work?

Thanks again for your time,patience & suggestions........I deeply appreciate it                                      Best Regards ,Kwik

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:55 AM

A caveat!  DO your home work on the Chrome book, I know many how either have returned them or use them sparsely.  Due to the OS there are many programs that cannot be used that would otherwise work on Microsoft units, they are not very flexible!

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#9 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:28 PM

Thanks Phil,,,

Oh well,I spoke to a friend who has one & said being I am not a gamer & for my use it will be great,,,,he  is very happy with his,no complaints,,,,,,the reviews I read look pretty good(for me) & so I ordered it today,,,in black,they were completely out of stock in white on 3 sites ,,,,,I do not care about the color   I use chrome on my phone & can access everything I use (I use so little) ,,,,,its just that the phone is way too little

Do you or anyone know about those USB kits,,,,saw one today in one of the computer shops,,,,said you can get wi-fi & pre-pay????? I still don't get it?                                                                                        Best Regards,Kwik

Edited by newbleeping, 16 September 2014 - 04:30 PM.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,755 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:36 PM

Nick ,I heard about the USB kit for the Optus Network,

What you are talking about is the Optus 3G Dongle.
20aeakp.jpg

how does that work?

Basically its a small cell phone that plugs into your PC via usb that allows you to connect to the internet. I have no idea about pricing in the USA, However here in Australia this type of connection is not cheap. The dongle can cost up to 50 dollars ( 3G) , That's ok, Its the data that costs a lot here $50 for 3GB on a pre paid.

Is anything like that available in America(Florida)

Yes.
Now I am in no way endorsing any of these people,

Florida Internet - Service Providers, 3G Coverage & Colleges

Florida 3G Wireless Internet Access Service Providers

A caveat!  DO your home work on the Chrome book, I know many how either have returned them or use them sparsely.  Due to the OS there are many programs that cannot be used that would otherwise work on Microsoft units, they are not very flexible!

+1

The best was to describe a Chrome Book is an overgrown Android cellphone.  I am with Phill on this. A Windows laptop can do it better and faster.

,I go on 2 websites & do some googling.................lots of emails

As long as its only that.

I have one of these, IRULU 7" 8GB Multi-Color Tablet PC Android 4.2 Dual Core & Cameras A23 1.5GHz

And it's great for surfing the net doing email skype and a few games like Solitare, And it works with 3G and WiFI. Do not expect much more from it.

Edited by NickAu1, 16 September 2014 - 04:43 PM.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,284 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:47 PM

newbleeping, you are not that new-perhaps you should change your name now lol, just kidding.

I am not sure about the dongle you are speaking of, but I got mine from T-Mobile which I like, meaning the service.  I would think you can get one of these from any major provider-so shop around or go with the service you are already with.  I think they run around 120.00 mine was 60.00 but it is an old model, perhaps they are even cheaper now.

The important issue would be where you would be using it primarily.  I had some issues with T-Mobile not working at my place of work-where I like to use it most.  Fortunately it worked at my house very well.

Yea! I also live in S. FL!  I would love to hear about your experience with your new Chromebook.  I think it is true that it is not very flexible but if you are easy to please and don't need to do much like you say you will love it, fast startup and general speed will be good.  And if it all takes off well it will just get better, so let's hope for that.

This is all I could find quickly: http://find.t-mobile.com/controller?N=1000639&Ntk=primary&Ntt=rocket&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial 

Or this:  http://find.t-mobile.com/controller?N=1000639&Ntk=primary&Ntt=wireless+card&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial

About the wifi, you can get that for free many places-so if you are on a budget just stop at a public library or one of the other places mentioned here as many places have it for free.  You can also choose a Motel that has it included in your stay, that sounds like it would be really good for you.  Even though Chromebook is quite secure beware of doing any banking on these public wifi spots, read up on it if you are concerned and take a look at the article Nick posted about Chrome being a very secure OS, I have not read it yet.

Edited by pcpunk, 16 September 2014 - 11:08 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,755 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:11 PM

I am not sure about the dongle you are speaking of,

This is all I could find quickly: http://find.t-mobile.com/controller?N=1000639&Ntk=primary&Ntt=rocket&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial

Exactly.

#13 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:28 PM

You might also check into a wireless hotspot.  I use a Karma which works great for me.  You pay $100 or so for the hotspot initially and then buy data as you need it.  Make sure that it works in the area you are located.  Another service is FreedomPop.  The reason I selected Karma over FreedomPop was that once I paid for the data on Karma there are no additional fees to carry the unused data over.  FreedomPop requires you to pay a fee to carry over your data.

Edited by Kilroy, 17 September 2014 - 01:28 PM.

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:07 PM

Hi Kwik "I may be a month in a motel & want to stay in touch with my contacts everyday"

In addition to Starbucks etc. many if not most motels also provide free wi-fi

#15 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

Hey y'all

Nick.....I was actually thrilled when you referred to the chromebook  as an overgrown Android Cellphone because that is really all I want,,,,,I love using chrome & "metroweb"on my cellphone but it is just too small ,so sounds like a good choice for me & thanks for the 'dongle" info,,,,you are right about the price ,I found some at WAl-Mart I  will hold off on that & see what I can pick up ,as pcpunk  said & Kilroy

Thanks for all your input & the links you provided,,,,you have been a great help                       Best Regards,Kwik

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users