Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mozilla Firefox stutters

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mahendru1992

mahendru1992

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:00 PM

Hey folks!,
I'm not sure this is the right section, but i'll post my problem anyways

I'm a recently turned Firefox user, disgruntled by chrome. Chrome gave  irritating problems such as it not executing randomly every month or so. Finally I decided to try Firfox. Well it is good, but somehow also feels bloated. Stutters and lags when I open 3-4 tabs or even more. Any way around this problem.

I've already tried some tweaks from the about:config section, but besides increasing the browsing speed, it hasn't helped me much in the smoothness departmant. If you know people know of something please do tell me.

Thank you in advance!

Edit: Moved topic from All Other Applications to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 15 September 2014 - 05:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:02 PM

System resources...especially RAM could be the problem. Tell us how much RAM is installed, manufacturer and model of your computer.

One or more add-ons could be the problem. You can fire up firefox without any add-ons activated to test that.

Click on Help and choose Re-start with add-ons disabled.

Use CCleaner to cleanup the caches, temporary files, cookies, etc. Pay attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars...especially Yahoo.

No need to use the Registry Cleaning Tool and it has the potential to cause a problem if used.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Run a scan for adware:

download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
Close all open programs and internet browsers.
Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
Click on Delete.
Confirm each time with Ok.
You will be prompted to restart your computer. A text file will open after the restart.
Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 mahendru1992

mahendru1992
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:21 AM

Hi Buddy215

I followed your instructions to the letter. Firstly, I restarted Firefox in safe mode, testing quite a few sites and opening  many instances of different tabs. Although the start-up was fast, but the stuttering issue is still there.

Secondly, I also used cc cleaner to delete all cookies and temporary files.

The problem occured when I used ADW Cleaner. It gets non responsive everytime I press the clean button. Gets hung up at deleting tasks

Also, when I load up 6 tabs, Firefox eats up around 700mb of RAM and I still have 60 percent left. So I don't think it's a RAM issue

I have 4 gigs of RAM, and the laptop's model no is Dell XPS 15 l502x. I don't know the RAM's manufacturer.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:16 AM

Okay...RAM is not the problem.

Can you post what if anything AdwCleaner found if anything? It may not of found anything and that is why it appears to be unresponsive.

Allow Windows Repair to perform all the tasks listed below. Allow it to do a System File Check as shown in Step #4.

Windows Repair (All In One) Download

• Reset Registry Permissions
  • Reset File Permissions
  • Register System Files
  • Repair WMI
  • Repair Windows Firewall
  • Repair Internet Explorer
  • Repair MDAC & MS Jet
  • Repair Hosts File
  • Remove Policies Set By Infections
  • Repair Icons
  • Repair Winsock & DNS Cache
  • Remove Temp Files
  • Repair Proxy Settings
  • Unhide Non System Files
  • Repair Windows Updates
  • Repair CD/DVD Missing/Not Working

If you don't have a way to check the temperatures of the computer's components, use this one: SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer

Let me know if the computer is running hot.

The computer is using Windows 7 and an i5 processor....is that correct?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 mahendru1992

mahendru1992
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:42 AM

Nope. ADW get unresponsive (lol I know the difference b/w not responding and a completion of task). I can't even FC the application because everytime I try to do that, some error message pops out saying file not found which is strange considering that it's the file that's getting unresponsive.

Okay, I've looked at the repair tool. It says that it supports windows 8, but I have 8.1. Is that safe to use with 8.1?

I use core temp and the temp it is reporting right now are 59, 55, 61, 58 for core 0,1,2 and 3 respectively.

I have windows 8.1 and core i7

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:46 AM

I just checked at the home page of Windows Repair All In One....For Windows XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, 7, 8, 8.1, 2012 (32 & 64 Bit)

Those temps are above desired. You should check your vents.

#7 mahendru1992

mahendru1992
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:13 AM

I'll have to disagree with you on the temp aspect. It is a little over what is usually recommended, but everything else works fine, including graphical intensive games such as battlefield 3, crysis 2, Bioshock infinite etc. Moreover, chrome is smooth as butter. 

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:56 AM

I just checked at Firefox...check by clicking on Help and choosing About Firefox to see if you now have Version 32.0.1

There were 3 issues repaired since the release of version 32.

#9 mahendru1992

mahendru1992
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:00 AM

Yup, 32.0.1 it is. I tried something new here. Disabled hardware acceleration, well no effect. Then enabled it back, and chose to run the application with the nvidia graphics card. Strangely still stuttering. 

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:04 PM

Mine has slowed a bit since an update today, maybe it was that which did this to yours.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 mahendru1992

mahendru1992
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:01 AM

I've stopped using both Chrome and Firefox. Started with Opera. I find it better than both. It's as fast as them with the added benefit of using chrome extensions as well 

Edited by mahendru1992, 17 September 2014 - 09:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users