Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did anyone get a different "upgrade to windows 8.1" banner than before?

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#1 signofzeta

signofzeta

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:10 PM

Every week, I usually get this "upgrade to windows 8.1" banner in which the options were to upgrade to 8.1. or remind me later.  This time, the banner is different.  It says something how this message will pop up every 2 days, and there is a dropdown menu stating when I should upgrade, with options of 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours, or remind me later.  I don't remember much about it.  Probably should have saved a screenshot or something.

So did anybody else, who still uses windows 8, have a different "upgrade to windows 8.1" annoying banner compared to before?

I do not want to upgrade to 8.1 considering how my video card drivers do not support 8.1.  I also do not want to upgrade my video card drivers because when I did that, half my games stopped working, so I would like to stay with windows 8 over windows 8.1.  I also heard stories from people who own the same model laptop as I do that upgrading to windows 8.1 messes up their nvidia video cards, and so far, even right now, I do not see anything from ASUS, the brand of laptop I own, on any driver updates, and the ones they have for windows 8.1 messes up my games.

Edited by signofzeta, 15 September 2014 - 12:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:17 PM

WOW, that's so difficult to believe, not that I don't believe what you are saying, but that 8.1's drivers for you laptop wouldn't work as well or better than in 8.

IMO, 8.1 is nothing more than 8 with a bunch of extra features. I can't say how many machines that I've upgrade to 8.1, but it's in the 100's and I haven't had the slightest of issues, much less a driver problem that would prevent me from playing some games.

Would you mind giving me the model of your machine? I'd like to look into it a bit more.

That's another thing too, the fact that it's an Asus. It's not all that uncommon to hear of other brands not dealing with the upgrade properly until such and such patch would be released, but Asus is so avant guarde and on top of the game, most of the time.

BTW: In case you didn't know, if you ever did upgrade and it turned out to be a disaster, the built in recovery of your machine would bring you back to 8.

Of course, that would mean starting from zero again, but at least you would be able to get back.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:09 AM

I am still using windows 8 for the time being.  The problem for me with upgrading to windows 8.1 is that I have to upgrade my nvidia drivers.  The ASUS website has 2 drivers for the N56JR.  One of them is the older version that works for me, and the later version that is also supported by windows 8.1 messes up some of my games.

I've heard stories about the N56JR's nvidia graphics and windows 8.1 not going well together, so I am hesitant to upgrade, not to mention that Microsoft will drop support for windows 8 in October 2015.

This thread is to ask people whether they got a different popup message telling them to upgrade to windows 8.1 compared to the usual ones they got before.

I mostly play old games, and the games that become messed up with the nvidia driver updates is GLQuake and Quake 2 using OpenGL rendering.  Using the older nvidia driver, the game runs fine.  Upgrading to the later driver makes the game unable to run at all.

The problem isn't with windows 8.1 itself.  It is with the Nvidia driver version.  The older one isn't supported by 8.1 but my games work fine with it.  The newer version messes up some of my games, but is supported by 8.1 as well as 8.

I emailed ASUS if they could do something where they take the older driver version, but make it windows 8.1 supported, considering how windows 8 is going the way of the windows XP by October 2015, but I doubt they would do that.

I am one of those people who is hesitant to upgrade any drivers.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I once upgraded my video card drivers on my older laptop.  After doing so, all my games won't run, so I rolled back the driver, and all the games worked again.

Seriously.  Has anyone who still uses windows 8 have a different popup message telling them to upgrade to windows 8.1 than they had before?

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:02 AM

Can you post a screenshot of what it looks like?

I'm really disappointed that you have this type of problem with an Asus.

I know it's an Nvidia issue, but it is an Asus machine and I would have expected them to resolve the problem, seeing as how it appears to be common with that model.

All is well in Paradise.

#5 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:46 PM

I apparently forgot to set GLQuake and Quake 2 to use my Nvidia graphics card and not the integrated one.  Both games work now.  A new problem I seem to have now

Even so, has anyone not seen the new message stating how great windows 8.1 is, and how people should upgrade?  I got this annoying message yesterday, and I just got it again today.  The options come in the form of a dropdown menu telling me when to upgrade and restart, with the options of "now", "in 1 hour", "in 2 hours", "in 4 hours", and "Remind me later".

Apparently "remind me later" means a day later, so now I will have this pop-up message nagging me every day.

I would attach the screenshot, but the file is too big, (bigger than 784 bytes, which is the maximum single file size I could attach)

Anyway, the message is as follows:

UPDATE TO WINDOW 8.1

You should plug in your PC before continuing

Windows 8.1 is the latest version of windows with enhancements in security, personalization, search, apps, and browsing.  It's free and almost ready for you, but your PC needs to restart to finish installing it.  Your PC will restart several times as we install windows 8.1, so you won't be able to use it for about 30-45 minutes.  If you're in the middle of something, postpone the update and save your work.

Update and Restart: <options of now, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours.  Remind me later is now missing>

I selected 2 hours, so I hope that my laptop does not update to windows 8.1, and would give me the options to delay it.

Edited by signofzeta, 16 September 2014 - 01:31 PM.

#6 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:19 PM

It's time to take the plunge into the seas of 8.1.  Before I was on a diving board, wimping out, but now it is different.  I am walking the plank.  Has anyone heard of update KB2973544?  It is basically making the upgrade to 8.1 automatic, without any user input or permissions, so my computer is going to upgrade to 8.1 whether I like it or not.

Also be prepared for some long ranting posts after I find out that upgrading to 8.1 messes up my most used programs on my laptop.... or maybe not, depending on how seamless the upgrade to 8.1 is.

#7 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:24 PM

The complaint department on the fourth floor will be awaiting you with open arms. :welcome:

All is well in Paradise.

#8 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:58 PM

Ok, ranting time.

Here's my rant.

That's my rant.

I tested all my quakes and all my dooms, well except  Doom 3 and Quake 4, where I just went to the main menus and such, but never loaded up a level.  I guess I will find that out later.

Another thing I have to test with 8.1 is if all my Jacks (12 You Don't Know Jack titles) work on it.  Of course 5th Dementia doesn't work, and has the same problems that I always had, so I will have to run a playthrough of the remaining 11 YDKJ titles on the PC, which I do not have time for, so I might have to do that later.

I don't know about you, but based on what I said, I tend to play 15 to 20 year old games that are in this void of not being DOS compatible (DOS compatible games can be solved by using dosbox), and being too old for newer operating systems, meaning that if I can't run the game on a newer OS, there is no other way around it.  Fortunately, the games I frequently play run on newer operating systems, but the more I hear about a newer version of windows coming out, and you must download it or your PC will explode, I don't know, it just gets to me, knowing that in the future, I won't be able to play these old games anymore.

I really think there needs to be an emulator for windows 95 and windows 98 the same way there is Dosbox, except that it doesn't emulate the entire OS, just makes it so that these older games can run on newer OS.  I remember when people were still using XP and they couldn't play their DOS games, because somehow the DOS we all knew from back when was removed in windows XP, or was it 2000?  I don't remember.  Now we are getting to the point that it is debatable whether games running on windows 95 or 98 would run in the most current operating system and hardware.

Everytime I hear of a new service pack release, I'll be like uh oh.

After I install said service pack?

I'll go either phew, or NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!  The bad thing is that I have to rearrange my desktop icons, switch drive letter assignments for Drive E and F, and do a bunch of other stuff.  I just wished that the next time we get a service pack update, that the update doesn't reset anything, and the experience from going from 8.1 to 8.2 is totally seamless, as if the computer is how it was when you last left it.

I guess I lied when I said that my rant was silent, but I guess I could call the wall of text a ramble?

Edited by signofzeta, 16 September 2014 - 05:03 PM.

#9 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:37 PM

It's time to modernize your games or find an antique computer. :busy:

All is well in Paradise.

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:02 PM

For games that old, a dedicated machine might be worth having.  I've got one I set up for playing some of my old favourites like Kingpin and Soldier of Fortune... Just an old Athlon CPU and a few bits I had or picked up cheap but it works running W98 SE.

There are emulators like MESS that aim to emulate some old PC's on a hardware level, but I'm not sure how well it works, and it is complex to set up.  I know people have created Windows 98 installs on them etc.  I don't use the PC bit of it at all though.  I use it for 8 bit stuff mostly :)

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:44 AM

That's a nasty move for them to pull, luckily i haven't got KB2973544, and i would have it if it had been sent to me. I assume it came out for you on the 10th september? I can say regarding this i certainly got a prompt (of the old style) for the 8.1 ""upgrade"" a few days back after having not seen any prompts of the type for months. I worry 8.1 will be incompatible with my old software programs, but they are rather newer programs than these games of yours. A web search for that update's name shows it is scarily connected to the whole 8.1 business, but most people's discussion of it are dated july so it must have come out late to you and i have been very lucky indeed. I just wish i knew what else that update did so i could safely decide whether to allow it to be part of my updates if it ever comes up on the list of updates when i check for them. the more i look at about this whole unethical affair of forcing users to ""upgrade"" the more tangled the info gets, especially in seeing if there is any update which ONLY contains code that forces an update (many of them might have important security stuff bundled within the same update).

Edited by rp88, 17 September 2014 - 11:45 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:30 PM

As I don't have any antique software or games, I view 8.1 as nothing less than a spectacular improvement and getting it for free feels the same to me as if I went to my car dealership and they told me that they were going to pull out my 4 cylinder engine and give me a brand new V6 for free.

For those who worry that 8.1 = Armageddon, be aware that you can use your OEM recovery systems to get you back to Windows 8, in case you want to.

All is well in Paradise.

#13 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:31 PM

Eventually people will have to update to windows 8.1 to receive any security updates by January 2016 anyway, but it doesn't mean that some users can have a dedicated Windows 8 PC.

I am confident that all 11 of the YDKJ games that worked on Windows 8 will work on 8.1.  The only thing that I was afraid of was GLQuake and Quake 2 using Open GL rendering.  ASUS has 2 Nvidia drivers, one old one and one new one.  The old one is only supported by windows 8, and is the one that works for me.  The new one, on the other hand, makes GL Quake and Quake 2 using Open GL rendering unable to run, but I have solved that by switching it from using integrated graphics to the Nvidia graphics from the Nvidia control panel.  (My laptop has both the Intel integrated graphics, and Nvidia GTX 760m graphics card.)  After this forced update, I to 8.1, apparently, both GLQuake and Quake 2 both work with the integrated graphics and the Nvidia graphics card, and it has the newer Nvidia drivers, so I guess I got lucky.  Most times when I update my video card drivers, half my games don't even work.

I was sort of attached to the windows 8 UI, so it feels kind of weird with 8.1.  Usually with the old service packs for vista and XP, the UI really didn't change that much, so I didn't even notice that I got a new service pack.

About the KB2973544.  Let's take as scenario from a person who still has windows 8, and is not looking to upgrade yet, and is not prepared to.  Let's say this forced upgrade happens, and it screws up something, let's say a program he really needs to use doesn't work.  Does this person have the right to sue Microsoft?

I hate to say this guys, but we live in the age where we don't even control our own PCs' any more.  The "personal" in "personal computer" isn't as personal anymore.

Edited by signofzeta, 17 September 2014 - 12:35 PM.

#14 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:16 PM

Suing is out of the question for a whole plethora of reasons (you can sue, but ya can't win), specially when the user can restore his computer back to the OEM Windows 8 it came with.

All is well in Paradise.

#15 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:00 PM

Suing is out of the question for a whole plethora of reasons (you can sue, but ya can't win), specially when the user can restore his computer back to the OEM Windows 8 it came with.

yeah, you can restore, but not if you reinstall everything, and go back to square one, and not to mention the wasted time and money used to get the software and programs running the way it was before the upgrade.

It isn't about upgrading to 8.1 or not.  It is about giving the end user no control over whether they want to upgrade to 8.1 or not.

So let's say businesses run windows 8 and they use a program to make their businesses run.  Then this forced update happens, and somehow, this program doesn't work on 8.1.  Then what?  Do you even know how much downtime business had when they upgraded from their ancient windows XP pc's to windows 7?  At least then, they can choose when to do it, and as a result, prepare for it.  Here, there is downtime in the forced upgrade to 8.1. finding out that a crucial program for the business doesn't work, and downtime again to reset the computer back to factory settings, and downtime to reinstall everything.  That's a lot of wasted time and money.

They also might lose the data by resetting the PC back to factory settings, but they should have backed everything up, but the only case they have against M$ is wasted man-hours trying to get the PC back to the way it was before the upgrade.

Edited by signofzeta, 17 September 2014 - 03:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users