Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Temporary Internet Files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 neo1234

neo1234

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:49 AM

Hi,

Does anyone know why V4moatads is replacing all the URLS in "Temporary Internet Files" on my PC running Windows XP?  I am accessing temporary internet files by selecting "tools", "internet options", "settings" then "view files". Is there another way to access temporary internet files that will display the URL's ? There doesn't seem to be a lot of info about V4moatads on the net.

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 17 September 2014 - 06:13 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:36 AM

Based on some digging I've done, moatads.com is a website that seems to specialize in web analytics. It's difficult to tell who owns it, although the nameservers point to Amazon Web Service, so whoever owns it is using Amazon's servers to operate the service.

It can show up as v4.moatads.com or js.moatads.com, depending on whether it is using cookies or Javascript to monitor your behavior on the Internet. It's adware or a potentially unwanted program. It's appearing in your temporary Internet files because that's where things like cookies get stored.

#3 neo1234

neo1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:40 PM

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.
Do you know how to get rid of it? Would it be under control panel? Do you mean it has been put there to monitor internet activity?
I was thinking more that it was something that was put there to hide internet activity or disguise the URLS as V4moatads.
cleardot.gif

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:52 PM

You can delete them. Go to Control Panel>Internet options. On the General tab, click Delete Files under Temporary Internet Files, and select the Delete all offline content checkbox, then click OK, and click OK again.

Then delete all the cookies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users