Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop won't recognize wireless adapter....at wits' end!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crojj42

crojj42

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:33 AM

I hope someone can help me out with this problem. I have a Dell desktop system with windows xp media center edition with service pack 3 installed. I bought a netgear wireless adapter model WNA3100, but when I try to install it I can't because the computer won't recognize the adapter as being connected.

Now to give you some further background and history, I started having problems with this desktop 2 years ago. It was overrun with malware and viruses, though internet was functioning normally. After cleanup, I had problems with Google constantly redirecting. After help to solve that problem, I ended up with a new problem, namely that I couldn't connect to the internet at all. My modem and/or router would be installed and connected and it would show that they were connected in system tray, but there would be no actual connection. There would be 0 bytes up or downloading. Nothing I did had any effect, not even trying to clean up the system further. So I decided to get a wireless adapter and connect to internet that way, but as stated it's not even detected! I am so frustrated. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:21 PM

Many wireless adapters are finicky about the install process. You have to start the software install, and then connect the adapter only when it tells you to. Is that the way this Netgear install process goes?

#3 crojj42

crojj42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:26 PM

Yes, and I only hook up the adapter when prompted.

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:30 PM

Here is a BC tool that has numerous mini-fixes for Windows processes, many of them for connectivity. Give it a try ... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/ .

#5 crojj42

crojj42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:54 PM

Hallelujah!  It worked.  I used that repair tool and finally have been able to install the adapter and am currently on the internet as I type this.  I have been unable to successfully establish a network connection in 2 years!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  You are my hero!!!!!

Edited by crojj42, 19 September 2014 - 12:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users