Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Long List of problems... (connecting internal hard drive externally via cable)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 star rice

star rice

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:48 AM

Okay, so the reason I am connecting this drive to my computer externally (actually its a family members computer, but whatever) is becasue I need to get the password for it so I can insert it back into the tower it came from so I can log into the administrative account. In short: I was a loser and forgot my password.

So I cracked open that tower, took the drive and am using a usb hard drive cable to try and access it. The problem? When ever I try to access the drive (currently listed as Removable Drive (F:) ) it gives me the error: Please insert a disk into Removable Drive (F:)

I've of course tried googling this and found that I can reformat it (defeating the purpose of trying to access it), get some odd ass software that I'm not even sure if I need or not or if it will solve my problem to any extent or I can change/remove the drive letter which i have done and it didn't fix anything.

So now I'm coming here hoping to get some answers on how to access the drive via a USB. I'm also open to suggestions of getting to the password other ways, but I figure if I acn get into the hard drive I have a hoard of options. I have drived to boot up the tower from which the drive came from (while the drive was still in it of course) with Ophcrack several times. The first I stupidly forgot the tables. The 2nd and 3rd time the tables couldn't be found still even though I know those tables existed to which I give up on using ophcrack. Im still willing to use some other bootable software is someone can walk me through this because obviously im missing something crucial or I'm an idiot (both are equally possible).

Edited by star rice, 15 September 2014 - 10:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:19 PM

If you want to take another route you could try putting the hard drive back and using Hiren's Boot CD to remove the password.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#3 star rice

star rice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:59 PM

Thank you for replying.

Instead putting all of that onto a bootable disk, what program on it would be best suited for recovering the password? I looked at the list of utilities it offers but none of them say they are qualified to work for windows 8. Part of my anxiety about this issue is I'm not sure what password recovery programs work for windows 8 and which ones dont and if there are any special steps that I need to take when using windows 8. I understand its a bootable disk and there isn't too much change between windows 7 and window 8 fundimentally, but I'd still like to go along with someone who had extensive knowledge of a password recovery program that they know can work with windows 8.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:18 PM

Put the drive back into the Windows 8 computer. In BIOS you need to disable Fastboot and SecureBoot. You may have to enable Legacy Boot or CSM also. Download this software. Create a bootable disk by burning the iso file. Then enable the hidden Administrator Account as shown in this guide. The guide references an older version. Don't reset any passwords. Only enable the hidden Administrator Account and then work from that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users