Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft buys game giant Mojang for $2.5 billion

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:45 AM

Microsoft today announced that they are in the process of purchasing the maker of Minecraft, Mojang. As reported by the Wall Street Journal the week before, Microsoft will be buying the company for a sum of $2.5 BILLION, an impressive number for a company with one major game. 

Markus Persson(AKA Notch) the creator of Minecraft will be leaving the company to pursue other projects along with the other co-creators. In a post on his website, he states "Thank you for turning Minecraft into what it has become, but there are too many of you, and I can’t be responsible for something this big.". He also says he wants to continue working on small projects and experiments but if anything gains traction he will abandon them. He does not want to be a symbol or responsible for something so big. 

It will be interesting to see where Microsoft takes Minecraft, however they have assured everyone that the community will always be the most important aspect of Minecraft, Microsoft also states in their press release that they will maintain Minecraft on all platforms and operating systems, including PlayStation and Android. 

Edited by computerxpds, 15 September 2014 - 10:46 AM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:32 PM

My kids were so upset when I told them. They said that Microsoft is going to mess it up. They were even more upset when I told them Notch was no longer with Mojang.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:48 PM

My kids were so upset when I told them. They said that Microsoft is going to mess it up.

And they would be right.  Smart kid's.

Microsoft also states in their press release that they will maintain Minecraft on all platforms and operating systems, including PlayStation and Android.

Only if it's turning a massive profit. Can anybody see them maintaining Minecraft for Linux if it's not making money? No, And I wouldn't blame them.

Edited by NickAu1, 15 September 2014 - 04:51 PM.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,422 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:11 PM

My kids were so upset when I told them. They said that Microsoft is going to mess it up. They were even more upset when I told them Notch was no longer with Mojang.

I was quite surprised myself, a little sad to see notch move on, and a little angry. However once I thought about it, everything moves on, communities evolve and I'm a bit excited to see what Microsoft will do with Minecraft, I'm not very hopeful as far as seeing the game remaining the same, seeing as Minecraft brings in so little money. What we can be assured is that we have previous versions of Minecraft and if they do something too radical we can all just stay on an older version and still play. :)

For me it wasn't that much of a surprise to see notch wanting out, however it was a surprise that he actually inked a deal with Microsoft after all of the bashing he has done over the years. 

Edit: 

Only if it's turning a massive profit. Can anybody see them maintaining Minecraft for Linux if it's not making money? No, And I wouldn't blame them.

You'd be surprised how many people who play Minecraft do so on linux, I am one of those people, I also run all of my Minecraft servers on linux.

Edited by computerxpds, 15 September 2014 - 05:19 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:31 PM

He got a big pay check and then left. He doesnt have to work a day in his (his kids as well) life again

#6 Ted Striker

Ted Striker

• Members
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:34 PM

I'm probably one of the few people who has never played Minecraft.  Here's Notch's farewell letter - http://www.pcworld.com/article/2683175/heres-markus-notch-perssons-farewell-letter-to-minecraft-fans.html

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,422 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:37 PM

He got a big pay check and then left. He doesnt have to work a day in his (his kids as well) life again

Even before the deal I don't think he really worked anyway. I'm sure he's enjoying his billions. Then again I guess I shouldn't be really surprised as notch had posted back in 2012 that $2 billion was the price he wanted.

Edited by computerxpds, 15 September 2014 - 05:41 PM.

sigcomp.png 

#8 IllusionEclipse

IllusionEclipse

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:11 PM

As soon as I heard that this was happening my only reaction was a double facepalm, I'm really unsure about Minecraft being in Microsoft's care now and frankly, I really don't want to know where this could lead...

An illusion is as real as the person who sees it, but wouldn't that be an illusion in and of itself?

#9 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,422 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:37 PM

The joke around the net is a bag of blocks for $50.. I doubt they would use DLC for mc though.

sigcomp.png 

#10 GT500

GT500

Authorized Emsisoft Representative

• Security Colleague
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:59 AM

... Can anybody see them maintaining Minecraft for Linux if it's not making money? No, And I wouldn't blame them.

Minecraft, at least the last time I bothered playing it, was written in Java. The programming language is, by definition, "write once, run anywhere". I imagine that there would still be Linux-specific bugs occasionally, however due to the nature of Java, the game would still run on Linux and MacOS simply because the JRE is available for those platforms. Note that Minecraft.net doesn't actually say that Minecraft runs on Linux.

Of course, I fully expect Microsoft to start porting Minecraft to one of their development platforms in one of their programming languages, such as C#. Once that happens, the only Linux/MacOS support will be through Wine unless Microsoft specifically decides to continue developing for those platforms. I also expect third-party dedicated servers to disappear as well if that happens, which is sad since Minecraft was the only commercial game that allowed third parties to create their own dedicated server software and redistribute it like that.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, and against the worldly governors, the princes of the darkness of this world...

#11 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:33 PM

I know this will happen some day. But can't believe it's Microsoft that done this.

Yes, MS will messed it up. I still didn't saw any good games from MS before. :P

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#12 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,422 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:39 AM

I doubt they will mess it up, you don't buy a company for $2.5 billion just to ruin it.

sigcomp.png 

#13 Bwalsh

Bwalsh

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:57 AM

It wont be intentional. But they will have different goals in mind that could lead to the destruction of the fan base. I doubt they will do much to it other than keep reselling it different ways. But it definitely will be all about what they can squeeze out of it, instead of a man on a mission to make an awesome game. Played it when it was alpha and it was still just notch and his other dev. It was Way more simple, but you could tell it was for the lulz, and not just the cash. 

#14 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,422 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:55 PM

I did quite enjoy it when it was buggy and just fun to play, it still is fun to play, it lacks the bugs that it used to have but that also makes it less frustrating at times to play. I enjoy the new content and the current dev team. If microsoft plays hands off with the dev team I think everything will go on well. The problem I see is when it comes to the community and how they will handle issues, such as the large issues with server software currently happening. 

sigcomp.png 

#15 rugby8705

rugby8705

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:44 AM

I am very excited about this.

Maybe we will get updates and new items even faster now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users