Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help reformat/install

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 omgpop

omgpop

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:34 AM

Mod Edit:  OP has already been in malware forum here, expressed intent to format/reinstall, moved back to Win 7 forum - Hamluis.

I need help removing this via reformatting and reinstall and unsure how to fix the problem concerning... "boot:\Device\Harddisk0\DR0"

Trojan:DOS/Alureon.J

I get this from MSE and it will constantly quarantine it every time I reboot.

The following error occurred: Error code 0x80508023. The program could not find the malware and other potentially unwanted software on this computer.

Category: Trojan

Description: This program is dangerous and executes commands from an attacker.

Recommended action: Remove this software immediately.

Items:

boot:\Device\Harddisk0\DR0

Edited by hamluis, 15 September 2014 - 10:42 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:07 AM

Are you asking how to wipe your hard drive clean to install a fresh copy of Windows, and if so, is all your data backed up?

Or are you asking for help in fixing the virus problem you have?

All is well in Paradise.

#3 omgpop

omgpop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:27 AM

Well I was told to go here for instructions for reformatting and reinstalling so I can get rid of this said virus

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:35 AM

If this is an OEM computer, you may have a recovery partition that would set the computer back to a factory state after your data has been backed up. Do you have a Windows 7 install disk and key?

#5 omgpop

omgpop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:43 AM

Yes

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:49 AM

What is the make and model of the computer?

#7 omgpop

omgpop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:54 AM

Well it's custom built

#8 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:07 AM

If your data is backed up, then you need only bootup from your Windows DVD, delete all the partitions when you get to that area, then hit NEW, which will create the C partition for your system and a 100 meg reserved partition for your MBR, format the C partition, then hit next and the system will install.

All is well in Paradise.

#9 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:15 AM

Hi omgpop,

Do you know where to download the drivers for your custom built PC from? You will need to know before you reinstall really.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#10 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:56 AM

If you already have the drivers on hand, as you must have installed them at one time, you'll either have them on DVD's or stored on your hard drive.

If they are stored on your hard drive, you could save them before formatting and installing the new system.

If you have lost any of the drivers, they can be downloaded from their respective manufacturer's websites.

As I/we don't know your knowledge level except to presume that you built your own machine, leading us to believe you a fair understanding of computers but if any of our instructions seem vague or difficult to understand, just say so and we'll make it clear.

All is well in Paradise.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:44 AM

Hi omgpop,

Do you know where to download the drivers for your custom built PC from? You will need to know before you reinstall really.

xXToffeeXx~

If this is a custom build and you assembled it, the motherboard should have come with a CD which contains most of the drivers you will need.  It will not contain drivers for peripheral devices, such a printer. 

If you wish to start with a completely blank hdd you can use a program like Darik's Boot and Nuke.  This will completely overwrite the entire hdd.

You will need to download the ISO image and then burn it to a dsic, this will create a bootable disc which will run independently of the operating system.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you are using a computer with Windows 7 or Windows 8, you can use the instructions below to burn the ISO image to a disc.

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

If the operating system is Vista or earlier you can use the instructions below to burn the ISO image to a disc.

Burning a ISO file to a CD or DVD with ImgBurn

To burn a ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you need a good tutorial for installing Windwos 7, Windows Seven Forums has a very good one.

Edited by dc3, 15 September 2014 - 11:52 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 omgpop

omgpop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:40 AM

Hello All, I have used dban and over the course of 12 long hours, I have managed to be able to reboot without popups from MSE about Alureon.J virus. I assume I was successful, and I wonder if any of you have suggestions for any follow up proceedures?

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:09 AM

If you wiped the hdd, installed Windows and it is running clean I would be inclined to say you have cleaned the infection out.

Have you installed the drivers for this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users