Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RE: Windows Media Payer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JimColby

JimColby

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:24 AM

With the lack of a windows media player in Windows 8 what is your recommendation for a very good media player?

I also want an opinion regarding a copying program for the CD's on  my PC since MS abandon this option as well.

Does anyone know if MS is bringing the player back in W9 as well as the CD copying program? Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:56 AM

Hi,maybe I don't understand what you are saying but I have media player on my computer and so don't my kids and everyone

elses computer I have worked on.Also Windows8.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:02 PM

Apparently, depending on the country Windows 8 is shipped to, it may or may not include Windows Media Player.  This is explained in this blog post by sajoshi.  A link is also provided in the blog post where WMP can be downloaded if it is missing from your system.

#4 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:05 PM

VLC Player is a very good player, and free. For burning data & audio discs, CDBurnerXP is fine (yes, even for win8). FreeISOBurner for burning image files.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

https://cdburnerxp.se/en/home

http://www.freeisoburner.com/

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 17 September 2014 - 08:07 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#5 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:32 PM

The last comment to sajoshi's blog post, by one Justin, reads "VLC Player is superior in every single way. Windows Media Player is useless."

I don't know about "useless" but in my experience VLC Player is indeed superior.  If you have VLC Player you don't need WMP - or RealPlayer or QuickTime or anything else of that nature.  At least that has been my experience.  VLC will play just about every kind of media file I have so far encountered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users