Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help on which new laptop to buy, Lenovo or Hp?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jake1108

jake1108

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:41 AM

Ok I'm in the market for a new laptop, I'll be using it for everyday work and light gaming. As I use a PC most of the time I'm going for a fairly upmarket one (while sticking true with windows and not turning to mac).
They have pretty much exactly the same specifics but I am unsure on which company to go with, also the big push in the Lenovo's direction is it saves me £150.
The 2 laptops in question are

Lenovo
http://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-z710-laptop-intel-core-i7-12gb-ram-1tb-8gb-sshd-17-3-black-silver/p1603992

HP
http://www.johnlewis.com/hp-envy-17-j141na-laptop-intel-core-i7-12gb-ram-1tb-17-3-silver/p1585645

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:56 AM

Either company is fine.  The Lenovo is slightly better due to the hybrid hard drive.  The HP has all USB 3 ports which may or may not be a plus, I have some devices that will not work on a USB3 port.

That all said, it looks like the Lenovo is the better option for you.

#3 jake1108

jake1108
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:57 AM

Ok thanks for your help, I'm more inclined to the Lenovo anyway as my last HP deteriorated fairly quickly in many ways. Just out of curiosity I was wondering what the benefits of a hybrid hard drive are?

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:26 PM

A hybrid drive uses a small amount of memory to perform like a solid state drive (SSD) for frequently accessed data.  I've never used one myself.

#5 rugby8705

rugby8705

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:05 AM

Lenovo hands down between the 2.

HP has more issues overall - they have nice models, but Lenovo has less issues and better support in my experience.

#6 kcstueber

kcstueber

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:06 PM

Hi  jake1108,

I'm a bit biased by the Lenovo, being one of their Partners, but one thing you might find useful is looking at the ThinkPad laptops from Lenovo, as opposed to their Consumer lines. The ThinkPads are the corporate laptops designed for the business world. One of the significant differences is that most will have a anti-glare screen. This may not be an issue for you, but many folks are using the laptop in various lighting conditions which can be challenging with a glossy screen (it is for me, anyway) All of my customers have been glad to have the anti-glare screen. You'll find the same thing is true of the Corporate or Business models of HP or Dell, if either of those is your preference.

There are a lot of models to choose from, so please be careful to find the right specs for you. Many times, for as little as a $100 increase in price, you can get a 3 year warranty instead of 1.

I'm happy to provide additional input if you'd like.

Take care,

Kurt

Edited by kcstueber, 30 September 2014 - 05:06 PM.

#7 kfarnsworth

kfarnsworth

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:42 PM

In my opinion the question is easy. The HP has horrible reviews across the board many different sites compared to the Lenovo. The Lenovo is a much better choice and that model is one I am considering right now in my purchase. I will either choose that one or Asus or a Toshiba less problems across the board. I am also a student.

#8 Antonifi

Antonifi

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:33 AM

Lenovo

#9 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:01 AM

HP is terrible imo, I won't let people I know buy them. Lenovo is better.

#10 jake1108

jake1108
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:37 AM

Just an update to everyone and so that people dont need to give any more help.
I went with the lenovo (obviously) and its absolutely wonderful if anyone else is contemplating buying it also. I have had absolutely no issues with it yet, runs smooth and fast and can handle many programs at once.
It's gaming capabilities are also much better than i thought they were going to be, haven't really tested it yet but being able to run left for dead 2 with all the graphics on very high without a moments lag or low frame rate was very impressive.
Basically if you are wondering if this laptop is for you, if you need a quick laptop which can run many programs with ease and also like a little bit of gaming on the side this is the perfect laptop for you.
Thanks for all the help and advice on which one to buy
Jake

#11 BionicHeffer

BionicHeffer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:46 AM

Hi all, not to just to open up a dead topic but...the company computer scheme has come around again and the HP laptop in question is up for offer for about 3/4 the price via salary deductions.

I was very interested in the hp until I came here, based on the reviews I saw.

My questions then...are hp laptops really that bad?

@kfarnsworth - could you show me where you saw the horrible reviews for the HP please, from my searches I came across nothing but very good feedback.

Thanks!

James.

Edited by BionicHeffer, 14 November 2014 - 12:27 PM.

#12 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:36 PM

For 75% off, no, they aren't that bad :P

#13 BionicHeffer

BionicHeffer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:40 PM

3/4 of the original price i.e tax deducted, so about 25% reduction i believe :) 

#14 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:20 PM

lol, oh...  I read that too fast and thought you said that the company was offering to pay for 3/4 of the cost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users