Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Starting Windows" cycles endlessly

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pn12

pn12

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:35 PM

Hello.  I have an HP Pavilion dv6, running Windows 7, about five years old.   For the last couple weeks, when it's restarted to install updates, the updates haven't all updated successfully.  It's also randomly blue-screened two or three times in the last couple of months.  

Today, it restarted to install updates while I was out of the room and when I came back, it just shows "Starting Windows".   It showed that for about a half hour.    At some point, it seemed to give up and restarted itself, but just kept showing "Starting Windows".   I tried restarting, and let it run for another 15 minutes or so.  Then I tried restarting it, hitting F8, and restarting in Safe Mode.   It ran through programs until it jammed on disk.sys.    It stayed there for another ten minutes or so before I turned it off.   The actions I have taken are pretty much the extent of my computer knowledge and abilities.  I googled around looking for a fix, but everything I found seemed to assume a greater understanding of the matter than I have.   What should I do?  

I have nothing external hooked up to the computer now, nor do I usually.  Also, I also tried to run from last known good configuration, but this required an administrator password.   We have never set an administrator password, or any kind of password on this computer, but the computer seems to think that we have, and "password" didn't work.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:47 PM

Have you tried startup repair from the Advanced Boot Menu? It would also be worth taking the hard drive test just in case as your HP laptop model should come with this feature in the BIOS menu or Advance boot options.

Tekken

#3 pn12

pn12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:00 PM

I tried the Repair option offered after I hit F8 on startup, but it requires the nonexistent password I mentioned before.  I don't know what you mean by the hard drive test, or at least I don't know how to access it.  Doesn't seem to be on the list.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:02 PM

Press F2 on early splash screen then look in BIOS for the hard drive test. Did you just hit Enter on the password prompts or a NEXT option maybe?

Tekken

#5 pn12

pn12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:25 PM

Ok, I ran the Start-up Test and was told the following:

Short DST: Failed

Failure ID:  PLNE1A-508781-XD7XHA-60WG03

START UP TEST: FAILED

Then I ran the Hard Drive Test

Same thing.

Short DST: Failed, and the same Failure ID.

I also ran System Tune-Up

Battery Test: Primary - Replace (40) Secondary - Not Installed (60)

Failure ID:  PLNE1A- 007810XD7XHA-C09CO3.

I have no idea what any of that means.

As for the Repair:

A box opens titled "System Recovery Options"

The default user name is: ASPNET.

There is no next option, just OK and CANCEL   And if a password was ever set, I have no idea what it is.   I've tried guessing a few, but no luck

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:06 PM

Recover or backup your data using Puppy Linux. The 2 page tutorial will guide you on how to transfer data externally. The hard drive is failing or not workable anymore as it needs to be replaced.

Tekken

#7 pn12

pn12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:19 PM

That's it?  No other option?

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:05 AM

The options are retrieving your important data immediately by the posted link tutorial and then replacing the drive with the same or greater capacity. The OEM product stickers on your laptop (hopefully they're still present) would also be needed when activating Windows or if you happen to create the set of recovery disc, you could start installing the HP OEM windows version on the new disk drive. If not, you can download and create a bootable ISO image of Windows with Service Pack 1 included and then your good to go.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users