Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclocking A Dell Dimension

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 applesauce1234

applesauce1234

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:49 PM

Hi there

I have a Dell Dimension 3000, which i DID NOT build myself... i purchased it directly from Dell... ive been told that they lock their BIOS, and therefore it is impossible to overclock the processor.

Is this true? Is there no way to overclock my processor? I have a Intel Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz...

Thanks!

Colin Weadick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:37 AM

As I recall that would be true.

Edited by dc3, 08 June 2006 - 01:40 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:28 AM

you might be able to get a program that can adjust your front side bus. that would result in a higher speed. but i dont know if the bios locking would efect that. i am sure there is a way to get around it, there is always a way around. :thumbsup:
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:01 AM

Check out this article HERE.

I gotta say it's your computer and you can do what you want, but what is to be gained by overclocking it? It is because it is COOL to overclock a computer? If it is performance you seek, there are simple ways to increase performance without overclocking. Some ways might cost a few bucks, and I have heard some people argue that they can't afford these ways therefore they want to overclock, but let me ask you this: How much is it going to cost you when you destroy your computer? And besides, if you overclock your computer without investing in a good cooling system you are asking for destruction in my view. I will get off my soapbox now. :thumbsup:
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:13 PM

Its not possible to overclock factory made computers. They lock their BIOS. I know, It sucks.

_Edit

after reading a bit of that article.. I stand corrected, but, if your a gamer, I dont tihnk its the extreme overclocking you want.

Edited by Uraiser, 08 June 2006 - 06:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users