Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

400 budget PC for Video Editing ?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 zax3799

zax3799

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:56 PM

Hello BC users,

I need help with my build. I need a computer which will render videos in HD as fast as possible. I have to spend on this one £400. I was thinking about buying one of those ones (1 or 2) as we can see both computers has good procesor, a lot or ram and big enough Hard Drive but the Graphics Card stay unknown. After a while I was thinking that I should buy and build one myself as it could be with better specs. I need:

a lot of ram (at least 4GB - 8GB)

Fast Processor (e.g Intel i3 etc)

Huge Hard Drive (I would prefer to have 1TB)

Dunno about graphics card as mostly I will be editing in Sony Vegas.

Don't care about OS.

Can someone link to the parts which I should buy and would be enough for me to fastly edit and render videos in HD ?

Thanks

zax3799

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:36 PM

OK a couple of tentative suggestions:

Core i5-4460 Quad Core 3.2 Ghz, MSI H81 motherboard, 16Gb Ram (2 x 8Gb), 2 Tb Seagate HDD, 450w XFX PSU, Zalman MATX case, Integrated HD 4600 graphics - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/bQ6KnQ

AMD FX6300 Hex Core 3.5 Ghz, Biostar 970 motherboard, 16Gb RAM (2 x 8Gb), 2 Tb Seagate HDD, 450w XFX PSU, Bitfenix ATX case, Radeon R7-240 2Gb graphics - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/NvjqNG

The i5 is the faster processor overall.  The second one has a decent 6 core processor and a discrete GPU.  I'm sure either would cope with editing video and are higher spec than the pre-builts.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 zax3799

zax3799
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:49 AM

OK a couple of tentative suggestions:

Core i5-4460 Quad Core 3.2 Ghz, MSI H81 motherboard, 16Gb Ram (2 x 8Gb), 2 Tb Seagate HDD, 450w XFX PSU, Zalman MATX case, Integrated HD 4600 graphics - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/bQ6KnQ

AMD FX6300 Hex Core 3.5 Ghz, Biostar 970 motherboard, 16Gb RAM (2 x 8Gb), 2 Tb Seagate HDD, 450w XFX PSU, Bitfenix ATX case, Radeon R7-240 2Gb graphics - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/NvjqNG

The i5 is the faster processor overall.  The second one has a decent 6 core processor and a discrete GPU.  I'm sure either would cope with editing video and are higher spec than the pre-builts.

Firstly Thanks for putting effort and helping me. I think I would pick the second build which you had prepared for me because it has good graphic card where the first one has integrated one. Tho is that Radeon graphic card better than Intel one as I had found this video review about this graphic card. Yeah that makes impresion, I mean the specs are higher than the pre-builds. I'm also wasn't expecting to get 16GB Ram for that price and I'm really impressed !

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:47 AM

Yeah the GPU is a bit weak.  For gaming it is not going to be good.  But I'll be honest I'm not sure how much Sony Vegas Pro uses the GPU (never used it).  My understanding is that it requires OpenCL compatibility (which both these above are).  If you forego the 16Gb and go back to 8 it frees up some budget to get a better GPU.  For example, a variation with 8Gb dual channel memory and a 2Gb R7-260X GPU (and a higher spec Asus motherboard with the difference) - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/HThYf7

BTW I found an OpenCL benchmark database.  Again, I'm not sure which tests are most relevant to Sony Vegas Pro, but it does allow you to compare hardware on a relative basis -  http://compubench.com/result.jsp

EDIT - this is better - http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU14/846

Edited by jonuk76, 15 September 2014 - 06:17 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:32 AM

Depending on how the rendering program is set up, it may also use as many CPU cores as you can throw at it.  If that is the case, one of the FX-8000 series CPU's may be worth a look.  There are numerous threads about CUDA (Nvidia) versus OpenCL with Sony Vegas   Performance between OpenCL and CUDA varies based on the program and what features support it.  OpenCL seems to perform better on AMD GPU's with Sony Vegas, so I would lean more heavily towards an AMD graphics card.

3939.png

#6 L1GHT

L1GHT

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:12 PM

Can someone help me please ? I have lost control of my account which I have orginally posted which is zax3799 but that's not the problem as I made new one. The problem is that I nearly bough all the parts which I needed (Motherboard, Processor and Graphic Card so far) however I also bought the ram on Amazon on 15th of September and they messaged me about it that they try to get hold of the item but I lost my patients as to today I still didn't get the RAM I supposed to get. Can someone find different one with the same specs and around the same price ? I chose this one:

Thanks

L1GHT

Edited by L1GHT, 21 October 2014 - 05:13 PM.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:28 PM

Most 240 pin DDR3 is suitable really.  This is a decent price at the moment, and it's 1866mhz memory - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-memory-hx318c10fbk216

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 L1GHT

L1GHT

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:39 AM

Most 240 pin DDR3 is suitable really.  This is a decent price at the moment, and it's 1866mhz memory - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-memory-hx318c10fbk216

Thanks, I have ordered it and hopefully this time I will get it on time :)

I have looked for DVD-Writer and I'm just wondering if the current one is supporting DVD+DL because I couldn't find it in the specs anything about it. Can you recommend for me good DVD Writer with Dual Layer comapitbility as well as  3 - 4 TB Hard Drive (I prefer to use WD). The price doesn't play a big role here as I got some money injection at the momemnt.

P.S The HD which is on the mentioned list received just 1 and a half start and I heard it's one of the worst hard drives ever as it breaks very often and I can't allow to lose my data after 2 weeks of using it lol.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

L1GHT

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:58 AM

The Samsung writer does offer dual layer DVD writing, most do now.  I'm no expert on CD/DVD drives, and the number of manufacturers selling them has declined, presumably because there's no profit in them. One I have used that seemed good was an LG model.  The particular one I used was able to read and recover data off old disks that failed to read on everything else I tried (a variety of Optiarc, Pioneer and Samsung drives).  Writing quality on it seems OK, although can't say I've tested it extensively.

What drive are you saying is the worst ever?  The Seagate ST2000DM001?  I hope not, as I have one of these in my PC now!! :hysterical:  Where have you read it fails a lot? I'm interested to read the report.  Mine works well for the moment, is about a year old and has no bad sectors...

The WD Black 3TB or 4TB drives are perhaps a good option for large desktop drives from WD.  They do have a price premium over Seagate models in those sizes though.  I would avoid WD Green drives as a primary HDD.

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 L1GHT

L1GHT

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:15 PM

Yeah I was talking about Seagate ST2000DM001. Mainly I heard that some version with two plates or something like this are faulty and breaks after two weeks. Plus I have researched google and youtube and I have found that many people don't recommend it to buy it, you can even find negative comments on Aria PC website. Tho Thanks for the link for WD Drives. What do you mean by "They do have a price premium over Seagate models in those sizes though." ? and why you would avoid the WD Greend drives as a primary HDD ? Just wondering. I was thinking about getting SSD but I doubt it would bring any performance than writing/reading. Tho for the price of 4TB I probably would have like 160GB drive lol totaly not worth it as I think with the curreny PC which I hopefully put together soon I don't need SSD as this computer itself will be fast enough.

Edited by L1GHT, 22 October 2014 - 06:18 PM.

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:43 PM

WD Green drives have a slow spindle speed and are optimised for power saving rather than performance.  They are designed to "go to sleep" when not in use after a short period of time and there will be delays accessing the drive while they spin up again.  There are also some reports they are unreliable when used in more intensive applications.  They would probably be OK for secondary storage where performance is unimportant, but like I said, I wouldn't use them as a main drive.

Here is some interesting articles about HDD reliability (they had specific problems with the WD Green and Seagate LP drives. Some other Seagate models also look problematic):

Backblaze Blog (January 2014)

Follow Up (September 2014)

"They do have a price premium over Seagate models in those sizes though." - means just what it says.  The Seagate Barracuda 3Tb (ST3000DM001) can be found for about £70 in the UK.  The WD Black 3Tb (WD3003FZEX) drive is around £120.  There's also a line of Toshiba drives priced similar to the Seagates.  They took over Hitachi's desktop (3.5") drive business.  I have no idea if the Hitachi quality has been maintained though.

SSD's are very expensive compared to HDD's in price per gigabyte.  But they are a hell of a lot faster.  What a lot of people do is use both a SSD and a HDD - the SSD for holding mainly the operating system and programs, and the HDD for storage.

7sbvuf-6.png

#12 L1GHT

L1GHT

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:37 PM

One question tho, how does the case with delivering Hard Drives looks like ? I know that many curiers companies like DHL, Panthera, DPD you name it throw parcels around their VAN in every possible way and that is worrying me when it's coming to HDD as that component is almost fragile and very delicate as it's enough to just drop it and either it will result in instant malfunction or bad sectors later on. Then when that happens what I can do in such case ? Sorry but I'm really worried about it.

#13 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:48 PM

Hard drives can deal with a certain amount of shock when they are powered down and the heads in a resting position (300G or so is one figure I've seen on a drive), and quite a bit less when operating (more like 50G).  If it's packed well, with adequate shock absorbing material around it, then it should be OK.  If it's not OK, then contact the vendor.  I can say that after ordering receiving quite a lot of HDD's, I've only ever sent back one that was faulty on delivery.

7sbvuf-6.png

#14 L1GHT

L1GHT

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:57 PM

Can you tell me how do you quickly check if the HDD is faulty ? I know I can perform bad sector scan which usually take hours and hours with 4 TB hard drive. The second thing is how do you check if HDD is alright if the courier delivers it ? I will of course ask him if I can check if item is alright before signing anything but what do I need to check to know that HDD is alright in this case ? Sorry for the pain in the butt but I need to know it.

#15 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:24 AM

I'd suggest downloadling Ultimate Boot CD and burning it to CD. This bootable CD contains various tools including HDD manufacturers diagnostic utilities like WD's Data Lifeguard and Seagates Seatools.  Use whatever is appropriate for your drive.  These are different from utilities like Chkdsk and check the integrity of the drive itself.  A short diagnostic test is generally just a few minutes.  A long one may take a couple of hours.

Check the box is not arriving battered, and no obvious damage to whats inside, that's about as much as you can do.  Don't worry about it.  By signing that it's been received (be it in "good condition" or whatever) you are not signing any rights away.  If it turns out to be damaged after running diagnostics, it'll be sorted.  That's the law (in the UK at least).

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users