Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I CHOOSE to shutdown my laptop, but it restarts instead of shutting down!!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jnulu

jnulu

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:51 PM

Hi!

I have an ASUS X-54C laptop with 2 GB RAM, running Windows 7 Home Premium that came installed. This is a spare machine I use only for surfing, when my Desktop PC is being used by other family members. I recently added another 4 GB RAM and also intend replacing the installed HDD with an SSD to make it more responsive.

The laptop is up to date with Windows updates and is regularly scanned with Nod32 Antivirus, SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes AntiMalware software.

My problem now is, after I am done using the laptop, I choose to shut it down.

Windows says, "....logging off,......shutting down.... and then restarts!

Before installing the SSD, I thought it a good idea to defrag the hard drive and then clone it to the new SSD. I downloaded a trial version of Vopt9, a defragging utility, which I have used in the past with no issues. This time, I think, using this was the cause of my 'restart' problem, but am not sure if it really is. The defragger also seems to have removed all my restore points, so there is no going back to one of these points.

I thought may be the laptop fan wasn't working. But Real Temp software shows my laptop to be running at a cool 50-52 degrees. I am doing a hard power off to shut down.

I also ran Hijackthis and analyzed the log into an Analyzer that is available on hijackthis.de website. It did not raise any threats. I can post the log here if it will help.

No idea what to do next, so any help in resolving this problem is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Edited by jnulu, 14 September 2014 - 06:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:11 PM

Which drive are you using, the HDD or the SSD?

All is well in Paradise.

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,161 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:30 PM

Are you shutting down from the Start menu, or are you shutting it down using the power button on the laptop?

If you right click on the Start button and select Properties, make sure the power button action is set to shutdown and not restart.

In Control Panel>Power Options, click on Change plan settings and then Change advanced power settings. Scroll down to Power buttons and lid, expand that to Power button action, and make sure that it set to shutdown as well.

#4 jnulu

jnulu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:05 PM

Which drive are you using, the HDD or the SSD?

The HDD.

I don't intend installing the SSD until this restart problem is resolved.

Thank you!

#5 jnulu

jnulu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:07 PM

I checked the settings and found them to be as you have recommended.

The laptop still restarts when I shut it down using Start and then choosing the shutdown option.

Thank you!

Are you shutting down from the Start menu, or are you shutting it down using the power button on the laptop?

If you right click on the Start button and select Properties, make sure the power button action is set to shutdown and not restart.

In Control Panel>Power Options, click on Change plan settings and then Change advanced power settings. Scroll down to Power buttons and lid, expand that to Power button action, and make sure that it set to shutdown as well.

#6 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:13 PM

If this issue is recent, you may be able to fix it just by doing a system restore that precedes the problem starting.

On another note, be aware that once you install your new SSD, you must NEVER defrag it, in fact, you should make a point of disabling the automatic defrag which is set to "on" by default.

All is well in Paradise.

#7 jnulu

jnulu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:17 PM

Unfortunately, as I mentioned in my initial post, I do not have

restore points and as such I'm unable to go back!

Yes I am also aware that one should NEVER defrag an SSD

Thank you rockyusa!

Regards

Edited by jnulu, 14 September 2014 - 09:28 PM.

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,161 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:18 PM

Open up Event Viewer and post any error logs recorded when you shut down the laptop. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Post those logs here.

#9 jnulu

jnulu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:58 PM

Open up Event Viewer and post any error logs recorded when you shut down the laptop. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Post those logs here.

The Windows Home Premium event viewer looks very different from the one shown in the link you provided.

However I managed to find the logs for Application, Security and System events.

The logs are pretty big and copying and pasting them will make the posting extremely long.

Instead am I permitted to attach the logs to this post?

Grateful for your guidance., thank you.

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,161 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:03 PM

All we need are any code numbers and the descriptions for just the error logs that were recorded the last time you tried to shut down the laptop. We don't need to see warning or information logs.

Right click on those error logs and select Properties to get the needed information, and post that here.

#11 jnulu

jnulu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:36 PM

All we need are any code numbers and the descriptions for just the error logs that were recorded the last time you tried to shut down the laptop. We don't need to see warning or information logs.

Right click on those error logs and select Properties to get the needed information, and post that here.

Ok here's what I found:

Application - Warning

Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards. 

DETAIL -

1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-2661022869-3991291393-1455981560-1001_Classes:

Process 1120 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\FBAgent.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2661022869-3991291393-1455981560-1001_CLASSES

Application – Error

The backup did not complete because of an error writing to the backup location I:\. The error is: The backup location cannot be found or is not valid. Review your backup settings and check the backup location. (0x81000006).

Security – Did not see any errors here

System - Error

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Source – Kernel-Power

I hope this will help!

Thank you and regards

#12 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,161 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:51 PM

This System error "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. Source – Kernel-Power" indicates that the laptop may be blue screening while attempting to shut down. It could be restarting because you have the laptop to configured to restart automatically when there is a fatal error.

First, go to Control Panel>System, and in the left pane click on Advanced system settings. Go to the Startup and recovery section and click on the Settings button. In the Startup and recovery window, uncheck Automatically restart if that box is checked. Click OK until you are out of all the windows.

You may also want to check and make sure the Write an event to the system log box IS checked. If it is, navigate to the C:\Windows folder and see if there is a subfolder there entitled Minidump. Check to see if the laptop has created a minidump file the last time you tried to shut it down. We may have to have a look at that if there is one.

One thing you may want to consider is disabling Asus FastBoot. The registry handle leak warning is pointing to the FastBoot executable file. You shouldn't have any issues if you disable it, and it may clear up the rebooting issue.

#13 jnulu

jnulu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:00 AM

First, go to Control Panel>System, and in the left pane click on Advanced system settings. Go to the Startup and recovery section and click on the Settings button. In the Startup and recovery window, uncheck Automatically restart if that box is checked. Click OK until you are out of all the windows.

You may also want to check and make sure the Write an event to the system log box IS checked. If it is, navigate to the C:\Windows folder and see if there is a subfolder there entitled Minidump. Check to see if the laptop has created a minidump file the last time you tried to shut it down. We may have to have a look at that if there is one.

One thing you may want to consider is disabling Asus FastBoot. The registry handle leak warning is pointing to the FastBoot executable file. You shouldn't have any issues if you disable it, and it may clear up the rebooting issue.

The Automatically restart box was checked, so as advised, I unchecked it. 

The event to the system log box was already checked, so I did not do anything here.

Next, I checked C:\ Windows folder.

There was no minidump file to be found

Finally, I disabled FastBoot by unchecking enable FastBoot checkbox in the FastBoot console.

Then I shut the laptop down from the Start menu....... and the laptop restarted again! 

#14 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,161 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:15 AM

I'm going to recommend you run the Power troubleshooter. It's looking like something in one of the power settings may be off, or an application or service is not shutting down properly.

In Control Panel>System, click on Find and fix problems, and select Power.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshooting-windows#troubleshooting-windows=windows-7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Power-troubleshooter

In the Control Panel>System Startup and recovery section, where you checked the automatic restart and the write event to the system log options, what option is listed under the Write debugging information drop-down menu? Make sure it's set to Small memory dump, and that the Small dump directory is %SystemRoot%\Minidump.

Edited by sflatechguy, 15 September 2014 - 12:24 AM.

#15 jnulu

jnulu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:40 PM

I'm going to recommend you run the Power troubleshooter. It's looking like something in one of the power settings may be off, or an application or service is not shutting down properly.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshooting-windows#troubleshooting-windows=windows-7

In the Control Panel>System Startup and recovery section, where you checked the automatic restart and the write event to the system log options, what option is listed under the Write debugging information drop-down menu? Make sure it's set to Small memory dump, and that the Small dump directory is %SystemRoot%\Minidump.

System and Security

I have four options here:

Fix problems with Windows Updates

Run Maintenance tasks

Improve Power Usage and

Check for performance issues

Clicked on Improve Power usage and it said fixed display time taking too long, display sleep time taking too long etc.

Performance issues did not do anything.

Show other trouble shooters did not bring up links for Power usage.

In the startup and Recovery section, write and debugging, options was showing kernel memory dump. 

After reading your post, I changed it to small memory dump,shut down the computer and after it restarted, I checked

the Windows folder for this directory and could not find anything.

I also tried to Start/Search box and typed %SystemRoot%\Minidump and came up with nothing.

Thank you for your continued interest in my problem!

Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users