Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow rebooting....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 smurfhandy

smurfhandy

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:21 PM

My mom's computer is really slow rebooting.  I thought about the memory but it appears she has plenty and I did do some optimizing, but it is still slow to reboot....  takes 5 + minutes to complete the reboot.

According to Belarc this is her setup ...

2.10 gig. AMD Anthlon Dual Core

256 k primary memory cache

1024k secondary memory cache

64 bit ready, muti-core, not hyper-threaded

for memory.. 

4 slots and 3 are used by 1024 mb sticks.

309.33 gig hard drive, with 236.03 gigs free.

Am I crazy?  this should be plenty of "power" to operate without taking 5+ minutes to reboot.

(10 years ago I could have told you the difference between SDRam and DDRram .... but I have forgotten all that)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:36 AM

this is more of an Operating Sytem topic, I would think. If the RAM was sub par, you would be getting blue screens, POST error beep codes and such. . it is quite common for the OS startup config  to become corrupted when users install programs they aren't sure about.

when was the last time you remember the boot time being acceptable? Do you remember anything that could have changed since then  i.e. installing free ware and such?

there are quite a few  remedies for painfully long boot times, so we can take this one step at a time. What is your Operating System? i mean is it windows XP or Vista etc.?

if possible, a speccy snapshot of the PC would help, here is the procedure:

Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.
  • You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

====================

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

speccyq.png

• Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot

You will see the following prompt:
publish.png

• Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

copydi.png

then copy/paste the link in your reply
====================

Edited by synergy513, 17 September 2014 - 03:50 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 smurfhandy

smurfhandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:08 AM

I have no idea when the last time was that it behaved itself because she only turns it off if it is going to storm.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/LaTNT0KuW6Y3lK7aWaGMsL7

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:47 AM

ok, i see two resource hogs right off.....norton  and google chrome doing auto-updates .... approx 2 gb of RAM in use, which is quite high for a 32 bit OS.

is there a valid reason to have the USB device engaged during boot? that could be slowing the whole process also. the BIOS is checking it as system device and that takes more time.

if you try  start-----> run then type msconfig and look under startup this will let you see everything that your PC is struggling to get through during boot. if you see anything that looks out of place, investigate further and see if it can be disabled during startup.

if it were me, i would enable windows MSE to be the firewall and try only one of the many approved anti-virus applications available here in the download section just to be able to rid the PC of Norton.

also, if you pull up your task manager (ctl-alt-delete) and click on the processes tab, then click cpu to list the processes that are using CPU frrom least to greatest, is there anything abnormally large?

do this with the memory usage tab also to list the biggest RAM usage processes. anything abnormally large showing up?

if this is ok as an initial  step, then we can dive in a little deeper, but this is a good start.

Edited by synergy513, 18 September 2014 - 01:56 AM.

#5 smurfhandy

smurfhandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:47 AM

she has a subscription for norton so that stays.  I did go through startup and services and looked up a lot of the processes... many of them I set to manual instead of automatic.  For whatever its worth ... the USB device is my mouse, I can't stand her generic mouse so I use my trackball mouse (my computer is out for repair so I'm stuck using this computer at the moment.)  I have a flash drive that is plugged in as well ... just because I forget to pull it out when I get off the computer.

The only thing I see that is unusual is that chrome has far more processes running than I have windows open.  There are 7 instances of chrome and I have 1 window open with two tabs in chrome.  Those instances of chrome are using a lot of memory but does that have anything to do with startup?

I do debug this regularly in the am I infected sub-forum.

She also uses carbonite and that runs on startup of course.

Attached File  screen shot.jpg   106.46KB   0 downloads

#6 smurfhandy

smurfhandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:58 AM

OK I actually timed it all...

It took 2 minutes to shut down, and 4 minutes to restart.   I figured the restart by watching for Carbonite to appear next to the clock to determine that it had completed loading.

#7 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:01 AM

oh ok, i don't use chrome myself so i am not sure how to minimize the processes with it. it looks like it is using quite a bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users